Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

J.J. Abrams to direct 11th Star Trek

J.J. Abrams to Direct 11th Star Trek!
    Source: Variety
    April 21, 2006

Paramount Pictures is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting Mission Impossible: III helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release.

Variety says that Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from Lost, also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

The project, to be written by Abrams and "M:i:III" screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission.

Created by Gene Roddenberry, "Star Trek" has been Hollywood's most durable performer other than James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

Abrams also created Alias, which ABC is wrapping up in May.
    http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14199
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: J.J. Abrams to direct 11th Star Trek

Being that it is Spock and Kirk.. maybe they should have gotten the guy who did Brokeback Mountain to direct it.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

So I'm guessing if they go with an early Kirk/Spock story they'll have to get new actors for the roles, Unless they can make Shatner look 40 years younger. Wonder how the Trekkies will respond to that?

• /sigh

Hmmmmm.....
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie
    So I'm guessing if they go with an early Kirk/Spock story they'll have to get new actors for the roles, Unless they can make Shatner look 40 years younger. Wonder how the Trekkies will respond to that?
    New Tribbles.. err.. I mean Toupe's.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Let the speculation begin . . . . who should play the lead characters?

• Reaver of Souls

nobody. Prequels of this sort are always terrible. Shatner is Kirk. Nemoy is Spock. Anyone else is just wrong. Before Enterprise started, there was speculation about a show of this sort - a Young Indiana Jones-type show, and the fans hated it. Not to mention the continuity issues, if they try to keep the two of them together. Kirk wasn't originally in command of the Enterprise, remember. Christopher Pike was. And Spock was already on board then. This stinks of "Starfleet Academy 90210" type drivel, and I hope the fans see that.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• done

There was a reason that they ended up rejecting the Academy Years film/TV show multiple years ago, so I can't imagine why they're resurrecting it now, Boy Wonder's involvement notwithstanding. Die-hard Next Generation folks won't care, die-hard Classic fans will hate it, and it's hard enough getting Joe Q. Public interested in seeing a Trek film as it is.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    nobody. Prequels of this sort are always terrible. Shatner is Kirk. Nemoy is Spock. Anyone else is just wrong. Before Enterprise started, there was speculation about a show of this sort - a Young Indiana Jones-type show, and the fans hated it. Not to mention the continuity issues, if they try to keep the two of them together. Kirk wasn't originally in command of the Enterprise, remember. Christopher Pike was. And Spock was already on board then. This stinks of "Starfleet Academy 90210" type drivel, and I hope the fans see that.
    Though it does not say that the Enterprise would even be featured at all- (it says something about their first outer space mission)- I would be forced to agree. As much as I want more Trek, (good Trek- not the dren that has been churned out in the past)-I can't get behind this one.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    There was a reason that they ended up rejecting the Academy Years film/TV show multiple years ago, so I can't imagine why they're resurrecting it now, Boy Wonder's involvement notwithstanding. Die-hard Next Generation folks won't care, die-hard Classic fans will hate it, and it's hard enough getting Joe Q. Public interested in seeing a Trek film as it is.
    Now if it were a Q movie, that might be funny! There was a book written a while back called Q Squared, which featured Trelane, from the Original Series episode "The Squire of Gothos". There was a big debate when TNG came out on whether Q and Trelane were from the same race, and the creators said nope. So in this book, Trelane decides he wants to hang out with Q, and drives Q absolutely crazy. There's no place, time, or dimension Q can go to where Trelane doesn't follow. This leads the Enterprise crew through multiple alternate universes, and was just a great yarn. Now that's a movie I'd enjoy!

• white and nerdy

<.< >.>

Well... I'm excited.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

Can we just make an Enterprise movie.. set it to happen right before the last episode?? please..... you could even have time travel mixed in.. and all sorts of stuff...

• Reaver of Souls

How about we time travel and make it so that horrible last episode of Enterprise never happened. I'm convinced we must be living in the alternate universe introduced in "Mirror, Mirror". Only in a twisted, evil universe can such a horrible last episode exist...

• Infinitized!

I'd rather see a Star Trek Movie that has the TNG crew, the Voyager crew, and the DS9 crew altogether in it. Besides it's not like they are busy or something - they could probably use the work. the only one that seems to be busy is Patrick Stewart with the X-Men series.

They should get Leonard Nimoy to do a newer version of his Bilbo Baggins song...

• Reaver of Souls

How about Shatner doing Mr. Tambourine Man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast