View Poll Results: Is a glut in animation looming?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there are too many indepentant cgi companies...

3 18.75%
  • No, there is plenty room for a few more...

13 81.25%

•   
    • Minion

Glut in animation?

I found this article today:

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...AMWORKS-DC.XML

Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg said the "single greatest fiction" about animated films was that a possible glut of movies was looming.

"It's not as though all of these movies are the same," Katzenberg told analysts and investors at a media conference in New York. "It's not like they're all James Bond movies ... they couldn't be more distinctive.
    So is Mr. Katzenberg right or wrong?
    Check out my other blog:

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Crap tends to weed itself out- the best will usually prevail.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Feel the breeze!

I saw this article a while ago. I tend to agree that there is a glut in animation te=he same way there is a glut in movies. Too much crud.

To myself, animation's weakness in the US is due to the fact that it is seen as a kiddie medium. This is sad. Animation can be so many things (look at Hentai. I would NEVER show that to a child), and it is less limited by reality than movies are.

Glut? No. Poor attitude towards? Yes.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren
    To myself, animation's weakness in the US is due to the fact that it is seen as a kiddie medium. This is sad. Animation can be so many things (look at Hentai. I would NEVER show that to a child), and it is less limited by reality than movies are.

Glut? No. Poor attitude towards? Yes.
    I'm with you, I think animation has been looked at as a medium solely for children in this country, though I think the trend is maybe changing at least with primetime television animation (Family Guy, South Park, etc.) being animation that is directed at a more adult audience. Hopefully that can extend into the full-length animated release market in this country.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

•   
    • Minion

Independant Animation Studio?

Just found this little tidbit of comentary on Katzenburg's coments...

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/050413/111341686516.html?.v=2

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mallas of Motley Fool
    Now, Katzenberg also said something with regard to the competition: "It takes a huge amount of capital and a tremendous amount of time and resources to create these films. The ability of companies to put all of those elements together are fairly few and far between."

I don't know if I agree with him on this count. I suppose there could be several interpretations to the exact meaning of his comments, but I take it to mean that he thinks DreamWorks Animation and its main competitor Pixar (Nasdaq: PIXR - News) -- which he singled out -- are pretty much the only real players in the computer animation field. That doesn't ring too accurate to me. That seems to ignore the success of a film such as News Corp's (NYSE: NWS - News) Robots, for instance. The article says that the context of his thoughts related to "budget-oriented players" trying to settle in on the Shrek turf, but the way I see it, conglomerates such as Time Warner (NYSE: TWX - News) and Disney (NYSE: DIS - News) always have the resources to mount assaults on either Katzenberg's or Steve Jobs' arena of success. Besides, a huge budget does not necessarily guarantee success; in theory, at least, as the timeline progresses, technology does become cheaper. When cheaper technology is married with a good idea (The Blair Witch Project), the results can be substantially valuable.

I do understand that keeping ahead of the sophistication level possessed by audiences does require a lot of capital, but if I were Katzenberg, I would assume that there's always going to be a "next guy" with a "bigger idea." In other words, hubris need not apply. He should never stop worrying that DreamWorks Animation's leadership is about to be usurped. I'm confident that his shareholders don't want a complacent CEO trying to maximize the return on their collective equity.
    It leads to the next question if there is not a glut in animation, can there be such a thing as an Independant Animation Studio?

Discuss...
    Check out my other blog:

• Just this guy......

The problem is that we are going to see a lot of BAD CGI coming to the screen.

• Gay Man

If there was such a glut in animation, why were there only three animated films nominated for the academy awards?

His comment may be a reference to the tons and tons of Japanese Anime that is available, which, IMHO, is a whole different breed.