Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"It's Alive!: Bringing Animatronic Characters To Life on Film" exhibit

Beverly Hills, CA — Aslan, Doc Ock, Yoda, Mr. Tinkles, Audrey II, Mighty Joe, the Mystics, along with a puppy, a T-Rex dinosaur and several aliens, will be among the fantastical creatures, unearthly characters, hideous monsters and memorable icons that will come to life at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in “It’s Alive!: Bringing Animatronic Characters to Life on Film,” an original exhibition opening to the public on Friday, May 12, in Beverly Hills.
    Through the art and technology of animatronics, filmmakers can shoot in real time as these mechanical creatures, operated through a combination of sophisticated electronic circuitry and old-fashioned puppeteering, interact with live actors on set in front of the camera. With its roots in the early years of fantasy films, animatronics became widely used in the ‘70s and into the ‘90s, making characters like Yoda (from The Empire Strikes Back) to the giant ape Harry (of Harry and the Hendersons) possible. Although the advent of CGI has given filmmakers a different range of options when designing these characters, such recent films as Herbie Fully Loaded and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy have elected to use animatronics to allow real time performance.

102 Dalmatians

This unusual Academy exhibition will showcase numerous models, both large and small, maquettes, and actual animatronic creatures and their mechanisms in our Fourth Floor Gallery. Video monitors will show the final product – these characters’ appearance on film. The Grand Lobby Gallery will highlight the extensive design process these creatures undergo by presenting concept drawings, storyboards and photographs from the workshops and sets where these characters are built and operated.
    Many of the film industry’s leading animatronics artists and companies are lending to this exhibition, including the Jim Henson Company, the Walt Disney Company, Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc., Eric Allard, Rick Baker, Dave Barclay, Lyle Conway, Richard Edlund, Ray Harryhausen, Robert Short and Phil Tippett. Films represented include 102 Dalmatians, Alien3, AVP: Alien vs. Predator, An American Werewolf in London, Beetlejuice, Cats & Dogs, The Dark Crystal, Doctor Dolittle, George of the Jungle, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Labyrinth, Little Shop of Horrors, Jurassic Park, Men in Black II, Mighty Joe Young, Predator, Robocop, The Santa Clause 2, Short Circuit, Snow Dogs and Spider-Man 2.
    http://www.oscars.org/events/animatronics/index.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• The Twilight Zone

Re: "It's Alive!: Bringing Animatronic Characters To Life on Film" exhibit

when does it finish? and where in hollywood is it located?
    THIS sounds really cool

• The Twilight Zone

sorry Beverly Hills

• Why do you keep talking?

You know what's fun and informative? clicking the link...
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Still lost in Neverland

Yep, the link has the dates, times and location, all right there to read, and pictures too. I plan to go to this one as it looks like a lot of fun.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yoda was a puppet, not an animatronic.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I read the thread title and my first thought was 'Oh jeeze.. they went and made a movie about The Tiki Room now?'
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• ...TWO BITS!

YES!! It's FREE!! Hehe!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    Yoda was a puppet, not an animatronic.
    He was a puppet and apparently also an animatronic,
    he's #10 in the exhibit photos now featured on the site
    http://www.oscars.org/events/animatronics/index.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• ...TWO BITS!

Just went to this yesterday. Secruity asks for your Driver's license/ID and writes it down in his log, gives back ID, and you're handed visitor's pass. 1st floor has photos. 4th has the animatronics. It's pretty cool to actually be there and see the stuff close up. It's all free. I spent around 1 hour to view the entire exhibit.

Parking might be a little tricky. I passed by the building, and ended up in 2hr parking in residential street. The building is gray/black with tinted windows all on the wilshire side street. No one else was really there with me. You can stay there as long as you want. And it's air-conditioned

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

So glad you had a chance to see the exhibit. The AMPAS has many events, screenings and exhibitions throughout the year to enjoy and for many people it's a chance (or excuse) to visit a special place in Beverly Hills. Their schedule and info can be found at http://www.oscars.org/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Creatures, Monsters
    Extend Stay at Academy

A full-size animatronic gorilla head from "Mighty Joe Young" is on display at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' exhibition, "It's Alive! Bringing Animatronic Characters to Life on Film." Gorilla head courtesy of Rick Baker/Cinovation Studios.

Beverly Hills, CA — The creatures, monsters, aliens and furry animals residing in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Fourth Floor Gallery have extended their stay in Beverly Hills through Sunday, September 10.

“It’s Alive! Bringing Animatronic Characters to Life on Film” presents nearly 100 memorable characters including Aslan, Doc Ock, Yoda, Mr. Tinkles, Audrey II, Mighty Joe Young and the flying reindeer from “The Santa Clause 2.”
    The exhibition showcases models, maquettes, and animatronic creatures and their mechanisms, accompanied by video clips of the final product. The complementary installation in the Academy’s Grand Lobby Gallery includes 100 concept drawings, storyboards and photographs from workshops and sets, highlighting the complex process of designing and developing animatronic characters.

The films represented in “It’s Alive” include “102 Dalmatians,” “Alien3,” “Alien vs. Predator,” “An American Werewolf in London,” “Beetlejuice,” “Cats & Dogs,” “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” “The Dark Crystal,” “Doctor Dolittle,” “George of the Jungle,” “Ghostbusters,” “Gremlins 2,” “Harry and the Hendersons,” “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” “Labyrinth,” “Little Shop of Horrors,” “Jurassic Park,” “Men in Black II,” “Mighty Joe Young,” “Predator,” “RoboCop 2,” “Short Circuit,” “Snow Dogs,” “Spider-Man 2” and “The Empire Strikes Back.”

“It’s Alive! Bringing Animatronic Characters to Life on Film” will be on display through Sunday, September 10, 2006. The Academy’s galleries are open Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends, noon to 6 p.m.

Admission is free. The Academy will be closed for the Labor Day weekend – Saturday, September 2, through Monday, September 4.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. For more information call (310) 247-3600.
    # # #
    ©A.M.P.A.S.®
    Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
    8949 Wilshire Boulevard Beverly Hills, CA 90211-1972
    (310) 247-3000

There is a very modest display of Jim Hensons Animatronics (icluding the Waldo controller) at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Shame I'm not in L.A. I would love to see this exhibit

• Minion

I went to this a few weeks ago. Very impressive, I loved it
    I liked Aslan from Narnia the best..or those things from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

OMG! EMMET OTTER!!!

I would love to see the rest of the Jim Henson stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast