• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Tim Burton's 'Nightmare' goes 3-D 10/20 - The Hollywood Reporter 5/2/06

May 02, 2006
    Sheigh Crabtree
    The Hollywood Reporter
    'Nightmare' awakens for 3-D release

Sally will drop nightshade into Dr. Finkelstein's tea in 3-D come Halloween, when Walt Disney Pictures releases a digitally remastered version of "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas." The digital release of the 1993 stop-motion animated classic is set for Oct. 20. "Nightmare" marks the second digital 3-D theatrical release from Disney after "Chicken Little" did banner business last year in digital 3-D on 84 U.S. screens at 81 locations. The digital 3-D boxoffice returns outperformed the standard screenings nearly 3-to-1, according to Disney estimates.

Burton and "Nightmare" director Henry Selick are involved in the digital remastering of the film and were "very cheered by the news" that Disney wanted to release the movie in 3-D, according to Selick.

"When visitors came to visit the set of 'Nightmare Before Christmas,' they were always amazed by the intricate sets and beautiful puppets -- that they actually existed in miniature," Selick said. "It was disappointing to see this effect lost on film. By remastering for 3-D, I hope that some of this magic can be captured and shown to the audience in a way they've never seen before."

Selick is directing Laika Entertainment's Coraline, starring Dakota Fanning, in Portland, Ore. Coraline represents the first stop-motion animated-film to be shot stereoscopically with a dual digital camera rig for digital 3-D exhibition.

"Nightmare" is in the early stages of being digitally scanned and converted into 3-D by the computer-graphics group at Industrial Light & Magic.

The 3-D passive glasses that will be handed out to audiences at "Nightmare" screenings will be appropriately ghoulish and collectible.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002426023
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-02-2006 at 08:23 AM.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Tim Burton's 'Nightmare' goes 3-D 10/20 - The Hollywood Reporter 5/2/06

Wow really wow all I can say

• white and nerdy

*snap*...

YES!!! WOO HOO!! I gots to get some of that!!!

How fun, I'm glad I'm alive now.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Why do you keep talking?

You know, I was just sitting thinking that TNBC needed to be in 3-D. What are the odds.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Head Salesman

Is this something that could eventually be released on DVD so that we could watch at home in 3-D, too? Or is the technology not compatible?
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Drunk On Disney

The technology is compatable with a field sequential 3D system like this one.

The systems are pretty cheap and the 3D is impressive on the few films that have been released. It is FAR better than the red/blue 3D.

I wish they had released Chicken Little and Polar Express this way on DVD.

They did release Spy Kids in 3D. Both in anaglyph (red and blue glasses) and field sequential (the system I speak of, where you wear glasses that "shutter.")

I would even be satisfied with the standard red/blue on DVD. Just release it in 3D!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Huh?

I wouldn't be satisfied with anaglyph version.... I rather loathe watching colour movies in anaglyph. Such a headache. I'll go for freeviewing for a few hours before I'd go for anaglyph.
    -Tim

• Drunk On Disney

I get your point (although I don't get a headache.)

Still, at least that would show SOME effort to release the film in 3D. I was monumentally disapointed in Chicken Little's DVD making no mention of the 3D release.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Huh?

I have an autostereoscopic screen on my computer... I need more DVDs to make use of it!
    -Tim

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I don't need much of an excuse to watch Nightmare. This is more than good enough for me. Bring it on, I'll buy the tickets and the popcorn.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

WOO HOO!!!!! Looks like more royalties are coming my way!!!!
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• back in Austin

Well this is interesting! It's not hard to imagine how they produce a 3-D version of a computer-generated film like Polar Express -- you just have to place two stereoscopic virtual cameras into every virtual scene and set the machines to rendering again -- but Tim Burton's films are all claymation. You might as well take a normal live-action film like Pirates and try to make it 3-D after it was initially produced in only two dimensions! Wonder how they do it...

• Huh?

There's a 2-D to 3-D conversion process now that's supposed to be quite amazing. Amazing enough that George Lucas isn't wanting to use the conversion process for the next release of the Star Wars films.

I have yet to see it in person... so, I have no idea how good it actually is. I just know that I rather loathe the current 2-D to 3-D real-time processing software.
    -Tim

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Oh snap! Can't wait to see this in 3D! You know I'll be waiting to see it the first day it comes out! How friggin' sweet!!! (Sorry, I'm a tad bit excited but I don't care! I love me my Nightmare!!!)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Nightmare Before Christmas coming in 3-D

From 3-D Review Online Magazine:
    Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas being digitally enhanced for 3-D release
    Sally will drop nightshade into Dr. Finkelstein's tea in 3-D come Halloween, when Walt Disney Pictures releases a digitally remastered version of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The digital release of the 1993 stop-motion animated classic is set for October 20.
    The Nightmare Before Christmas marks the second digital 3-D theatrical release from Disney after Chicken Little did banner business last year in digital 3-D on 84 U.S. screens at 81 locations. The digital 3-D boxoffice returns outperformed the standard screenings nearly 3-to-1, according to Disney estimates.
    Burton and The Nightmare Before Christmas director Henry Selick are involved in the digital remastering of the stop-mo feature starring Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloween Town.
    "When visitors came to visit the set of The Nightmare Before Christmas they were always amazed by the intricate sets and beautiful puppets, that they actually existed in miniature," Selick said Monday. "It was disappointing to see this effect lost on film. By remastering for 3-D, I hope that some of this magic can be captured and shown to the audience in a way they've never seen before."
    Disney's rerelease of the wicked tale represents the first 3-D feature to stake a claim on the Halloween holiday, much like Warner Bros. Pictures called dibs on the Christmas frame with the 3-D rerelease of 2004's The Polar Express.
    The Nightmare Before Christmas is in the early stages of being digitally scanned and converted into 3-D by the computer-graphics group at George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic.
    Executives were reluctant to discuss the design of the 3-D passive glasses that will be handed out to audiences at The Nightmare Before Christmas screenings but suggested they will be appropriately ghoulish and collectible.
    Domestically, The Nightmare Before Christmas made $50.3 million when first released in 1993.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast