• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Has anyone ever heard this radio station?

Here's an article that I read with great interest in the L-A Times the other day. Has anyone ever heard this station while driving through Arizona and the desert areas?

<H1>Words of Wisdom: Let It Be

A commercial-free FM station has an eclectic playlist and avid fans whose curiosity is spooking the reclusive man behind the music.
    By Charles Duhigg
    Times Staff Writer

May 1, 2006

TUCSON—The cult of the mysterious KCDX-FM started innocently enough.

Bill Keeling, a 51-year-old respiratory therapist, found the Arizona radio station when his daughter fiddled with his car stereo. Lynn Richeson, a graphic designer, fell in love with it when she heard a song for the first time in 30 years. One man became an acolyte after he rented a car in Phoenix and all the radio buttons were set to 103.1.

The signal, which started broadcasting throughout central Arizona and much of Phoenix in 2002, played an eclectic mix that included hits by Huey Lewis and the News and an obscure 1971 tune about cannibalism by the Buoys. There were no commercials, no DJs, no way the station made money.

Hundreds of e-mails filled KCDX's inbox each week. Who was choosing the playlists? How did the station survive without advertising?

"IF YOU NEED DONATIONS, CONTACT ME, PLEASE," one listener wrote. "A day without KCDX is like a day without sunshine," another said.

The fans found one another online, sharing their frustrations about other stations that played the same songs over and over, and recalling the first time they heard "Pinball Wizard" or a forgotten song by Duran Duran.

They spent hours speculating about who owned KCDX. Richeson, Keeling and others scoured the Internet to identify the person who referred to himself on the station's website only as "The Guru."

But the harder they pressed for answers, the more frightened the Guru became, until he began questioning the wisdom of what he had done.
    </H1>http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ines-columnone

Note: the Times website does require a free registration to read the entire article.

Suffice it to say that the station's owner is kind of a lone wolf, doesn't want notoriety or to attract attention to himself or the radio station. He's apparently well-heeled enough to own several radio stations, and he told the LA Times that he needed to put something on their air, or lose his FCC license. As the article points out, this format is "JACK" taken to the extreme!!!

The Times reporter is guilty of some sloppy reporting when it comes to the history of rock-n-roll radio, at least in the Los Angeles area. The story suggests that AM radio largely ignored it, and Murray the K and Wolfman Jack flourished on FM stations, and DJ's played pretty much whatever they wanted.

The truth, as I recall it, at least here in SoCal: KFWB 980 and KRLA 1110 made a huge splash in the late 50's and 60's as "Top 40" stations - until they were blown out of the water by "93 KHJ" AM "Boss Radio" in the mid-60's. And the stations were strictly formatted with very tight playlists. Murray the K and the Wolfman and so many others became stars of AM radio...FM didn't even play rock music in LA til the early 70's.

Having said that...has anyone heard KCDX-FM, 103.1??
    I assume that they do not stream on the Internet...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Has anyone ever heard this radio station?

Just giving this thread a quick bump because I'm still curious to know any thoughts that people might have about this mysterious station...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Just giving this thread a quick bump because I'm still curious to know any thoughts that people might have about this mysterious station...
    I never have Barry.. but HEy we missed you, where have you been??

Friends for life

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

hum...very intresting

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    I never have Barry.. but HEy we missed you, where have you been??
    Just dealing with life stuff...it's all good...although sometimes it does cut down on my MiceChat time! Thanks for asking though!!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Just dealing with life stuff...it's all good...although sometimes it does cut down on my MiceChat time! Thanks for asking though!!
    I know I am changing the thread subject (but how is shuggie) hope the dog is ok, i never heard

Friends for life

• Minion

I am in Tucson and I just tried to tune to it...nothing but static.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

^^^ ^^^
    I'm not sure, but this station appears to be heard more in the Phoenix area...which is at least two hours from Tucson, isn't it? Do you hear other Phoenix-based stations in Tucson?? Very curious.

Barry

• love my friends

never heard of it sorry Barry

Friends for life