Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Disney Changing 'Mission: Space' Ride- WKMG- 5/2/06

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Due Dilligence means they must accept liability to make the ride as safe as possible for all riders. This is just one more step to make the ride safer for most riders... The alternative is to shut the ride down...
    Not that I believe it, but according to Disney's official statement, the changes were not made because of safety reasons.

Either way though, I could care less. To quote Disney, "The Mission: SPACE experience is safe as designed for people who heed the health warnings." There is simply no proof to suggest that the ride is any more dangerous than any other ride on property.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Not that I believe it, but according to Disney's official statement, the changes were not made because of safety reasons.

Either way though, I could care less. To quote Disney, "The Mission: SPACE experience is safe as designed for people who heed the health warnings." There is simply no proof to suggest that the ride is any more dangerous than any other ride on property.

-Michael
    "Accessablity" reasons are "safety" reasons. Don't fool yourself... They aren't going to do a PR campain saying the ride is not safe...

But their actions reflect "Due Dilligence" where they are covering their rears legally to defend against Tort cases.

The threshold in the Burden of Proof in negligance cases, I believe is on Disney that the ride is safe given that the ride does have documented cases where people get sick and/or death has occured relating to the ride even if it is a pre-existing condition. And especially if a warning is placed on the ride. You can't afford to have these people riding mission space...

They legally have a civil responciblity to make the ride as safe as possible for all guests.
    Check out my other blog:

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    The threshold in the Burden of Proof in negligance cases, I believe is on Disney that the ride is safe given that the ride does have documented cases where people get sick and/or death has occured relating to the ride even if it is a pre-existing condition. And especially if a warning is placed on the ride. You can't afford to have these people riding mission space...
    The deaths have nothing to do with the ride, realistically or legally. The child's death was officially put down as 'natural causes' and unless there is substantially different evidence, the recent one will be marked the same. People get sick on M:S. So what, people get sick a whole heck of a lot on attractions like Primeval Whirl, Teacups, Body Wars, etc. So why is Disney focusing out M:S? I call it appeasement and honestly, it makes me sick.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

http://mb.laughingplace.com/default....0503135056&C=1

Quote Originally Posted by englishboy

Wait, I just got the unedited version of the Sentinel article. It's amazing what they left out to fit the article to space.

"When asked if the change was being made because of recent events, Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty responded, "Our legal department insists--and boy, do I mean insists--the answer is no.

"Instead we're all supposed to say that we are doing this for three reasons: to enable even more guests to experience the attraction since well, as you all know, pretty much no guests are experiencing the ride now. And boy does that make the ride's sponsor, HP, really hacked off; to provide an alternative that may be more suited for some guests, such as those who are prone to motion sickness or have other conditions. And also for those millions and millions of customers who've read newspaper stories about people dying on this ride. Families from all over won't touch this frigging ride because of those stories; and to further encourage all guests to carefully consider and heed posted health warnings. And because, let's face it, a third death on this whirlygig would pretty much force us to scrap this 100 million dollar investment. So for those of you over the age of 35, the new Mission Space will function just like those little theater boxes at the front of grocery stores back in the 1970s that used to show cartoons for a quarter. Think of it as our newest retro attraction."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Minion

Whatever. Just wait till you get into Torts when you study Business in college, Mike...

"Our legal department insists--and boy, do I mean insists--the answer is no."

They are lying... I never heard such an Orwellian comment in my life.
    Last edited by cellarhound; 05-03-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

Blog Entries

Why would you fix something that is already a crowed pleaser thats why they have warning plaks
    If it was such a crowd pleaser then it would be running at capacity. The majority of the time there's only two fuges going. I'm fairly certain that Disney expected a heck of a lot more people to be utilizing this ride than actually are. So they need to do something to make it more accessible to a much larger amount of people and they seem to have found a way to do so.

So everybody's happy except for those who think the integrity of the ride is somehow harmed. Legal gets to cover their arse, HP and Disney get to see increased ridership which takes some strain off test track and soarin which are the two rides supporting the park right now, and HP gets to have more people experience a ride they spent a lot of money on. Nevermind the fact that now millions of people who can't ride the current version get to have some of the experience and those who already like it as is don't lose their version either.

Not only is it a good PR move, but it excites a whole new group of people going to WDW who would not normally have the chance to ride the ride. People who listen to the warnings and would not take the risk now have the opportunity to ride a "new" attraction. Do I believe that this is in response to the accidents, yes I'm not naive, but it also works with people who go on Soaring and Test Track and can handle those rides that would not normally be able to experience M:S. Is Disney setting a dangerous precedence, by building "two rides in one"? I'm not sure, but I'm also not sure that all new rides will be as intense as M:S. I think its a win-win situation here and if it actually increases capacity at M:S without creating a longer line, hey what more can you ask for?

• Drunk On Disney

I love this! I went on Mission Space and really liked it. But I wasn't up for suce an intense ride last time I was there (early in the morning.) Perhaps the milder rid will do the trick for those occasions!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12