Disney Copyright Issues

Recently I went on an Ebay shopping spree and purchased some amateur Disney park DVDs. Of the 3 I bought, 2 were horrible wastes of money, the other very professional and edited well with Disney audio tracks interwoven throughout.

What amazes me is: how do people get away with this? Obviously these tracks are copyrighted by Disney and I have a hard time believing Disney would give carte blanche permission to an amateur to use their music.

The sellers have obviously put a lot of time and effort into these DVDs and are making money on them. Are they truly doing this illegally? Is Disney just not aware of this or is there some loop hole I'm missing?

I've wondered about this general question for some time now in regards to amateur works sold on the Internet. Anyone have any ideas?

Which one was good and which weren't?

As for the other, Disney files enough copyright lawsuits. They probably don't see this as that big a deal given their other lawsuit priorities.

• Banned User

Disney is unlike any other company... they love the fan base, and as long as what you do is positive and you're not making a ton from it, they're pretty okay with websites and media like DVDs.

However, there is a strong rumor that Iger has a much tighter grip on the internet than Eisner had... so we may see some changes in the upcoming years.

Iger talked about how the internet and technology was a key part of his new plan for the company... I can only hope he knows what he is doing!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    The ride videos offered on www.remainseated.com are very good- I have no idea if they are available for purchase or not. I think it was Kevin Yee that posted a link to an ametuer website that offered something like 70 very professional videos for sale on their website. Maybe someone remembers the link?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    Recently I went on an Ebay shopping spree and purchased some amateur Disney park DVDs. Of the 3 I bought, 2 were horrible wastes of money, the other very professional and edited well with Disney audio tracks interwoven throughout.

What amazes me is: how do people get away with this? Obviously these tracks are copyrighted by Disney and I have a hard time believing Disney would give carte blanche permission to an amateur to use their music.

The sellers have obviously put a lot of time and effort into these DVDs and are making money on them. Are they truly doing this illegally? Is Disney just not aware of this or is there some loop hole I'm missing?

I've wondered about this general question for some time now in regards to amateur works sold on the Internet. Anyone have any ideas?
    Well, for Disney it'd be a fools mission to try and stop every copyright-infringing site. I think Disney realizes they have a strong fan bas on the internet and that it helps them in the end. All these sites do is continue our love of Disney and give us even more reason to go back. It's like Disney is getting free advertising.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    The ride videos offered on www.remainseated.com are very good- I have no idea if they are available for purchase or not. I think it was Kevin Yee that posted a link to an ametuer website that offered something like 70 very professional videos for sale on their website. Maybe someone remembers the link?
    Thanks for this link. It looks like a pretty good resource.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Yes, the Extinct Attractions Club.
    http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com

>> Disney is unlike any other company... they love the fan base, and as long as what you do is positive and you're not making a ton from it, they're pretty okay with websites and media like DVDs. <<

...But try and put up a Cafe Press shop that sells items with the words "Disney" or "Walt" anywhere on them, or artworth with anything that even vaguely resembles mouse ears, and you're doomed. That's why we no longer sell "DisneyLies.com" t-shirts.

~Liar~

>> artworth <<

I should take advantage of spell checking, shouldn't I?

~Liar~