• Prince Ali

Willie Wonka and Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp's performance as Willie Wonka will certainly add to
    his repetoire of offbeat and mesmorizing metamorphesis. And
    teamed with Tim Burton, once again, we will certainly see some
    unexpected eye candy.

While browsing thru some movie magazines, I came across a
    several page spread of pictures from this upcoming movie. And
    once again, Johnny Depp has a unique look for his newest creation.

The question that comes to mind is who is Johnny's inspiration for
    his performance in this particular personality. Certainly Tim Burton
    has indicated that this version will stay in line closer to the actual book.
    But, of course, Johnny will not leave well enough alone. (and that is fortunate for us) He always brings more dimension to his characters
    than any other actor.

Then I studied the picture closer. Johnny, his face is very pale, appearing
    as if he is wearing white makeup. His hair is longer, dark, and straight. And of course for some reason entices children to his side. Then I realize, Johnny Depp's Inspiration for this character has to be none other than Michael Jackson. :devil:

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    <shudder>

I knew that trailer was creepy for a reason.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Race Car Driver

Oh I cant wait for it to come out.... Did you see the old version of the movie?
    I think its Gene Wilder who is Willy Wonka in the movie.....

Cant wait!
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Reaver of Souls

The original is a classic, and when I first heard this was being remade, I was really annoyed. Burton, Elfman and Depp are a great combo, and I have no doubt they'll be able to make this in their own way, making it a totally different animal from the first...

It looks seussical at times, but always with an edge. Depp has this goofy silliness, but it always looks like there's something else going on just below the surface, and it's not a pleasant something. I'd be afraid to leave kids with this version of Wonka!

From what I've seen, Depp's Wonka looks like a bit of the over-the-top giddiness of his Ed Wood, some of the child-like quality of his Edward Scissorhands with a healthy dose of Jack Sparrow, never knowing what he's really thinking...

I've said before that Johnny is one of today's most underrated character actors, and I'll keep saying it. He's played a range of roles few others can carry, and throws himself into them with no reservation. That's why Bloom seemed so wooden to me in Pirates. He seemed to be an actor playing a part, while Depp WAS Jack Sparrow. It's like putting a fake, 2-dimensional prop tree in a real fores. Sure, it looks good on it's own, but when next to a real, living tree? Not a chance.

I'm excited about this movie, and can't wait to see it!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I for one, am SO excited about this movie. I have never really been that into the original, while my husband LOVES the og. I LOVE Johnny Depp ever since Pirates and I can't wait to see what he does with this role.

I thought the trailer looked awesome! Only creepy in a cool, Tim Burton kind of way.

And I absolutely refuse to believe that Johnny's inspiration is *eek* Michael Jackson. That would put WAY too many people off I think, and I just won't believe it. Yuck.
    In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe. -Michael Jackson

• Diamond In The Rough

Whatever the new version of C+TCF is like, you can bet it won't be boring, unlike the (shudder) Planet Of The Apes "re-imagining".

Depp is good VFM. My only concern is Burton's need to flesh out Wonka's character with a dentist dad (Christopher Lee). I don't think this character was in the book and Ill be interested to see how it turns out.
    But I have a good feeling about this...

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Practically Perfect

like most of you I cannot wait to see this movie!! I am a little interested/worried about Christopher Lee as Willie Wonka's father though...is this in the books?

Also, I thought I'd share with all of you anoth Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie. It's called "The Corpse Bride" and it'll be clamation again! (as far as I know). Most of the cast actually was in a Tim Burton movie at some point...here's the IMDB listing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121164/

• behind the curtain

I'm looking forward to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Corpse Bride too, for that matter), but no matter how amazing Depp is, and I'm sure he will be amazing, he could never surpass the original genius of Gene Wilder. Pure Imagination remains one of my favorite songs of all time.

• Back home :-(

I have to disagree with you, CrazyDreamer... (but that's what makes the world go around, isn't it?) though I love Gene Wilder, I have to say, my gut instinct tells me that in my eyes, Johnny will far surpass Gene's version.

(And I cannot wait for the Corpse Bride either! I LOVE Tim Burton!)

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    FYI- corpse bride will be a touchstone(Disney) project.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

I have to say that I really didn't like the original film version of Willy Wonka. I know I will be tarred and feathered for writing that but after all I heard about it, I finally caught a showing 5 or 6 years ago and couldn't believe that a certain generation of 40ish filmgoers could find it charming or even good.

It can only get better in Tim Burton's hands.

• Practically Perfect

*gets out the tar and feathers* nah, it's good. You don't HAVE to like it...I think the old one is okay but parts could be better, and Tim Burton is amazing so I'm sure the new movie will be great. I'm just a hopless movie buff, so I gues I shouldn't talk (I like a lot of movies other people don't)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

If I remember correctly, Roald Dahl did not like the original because it was turned into a musical. I remember reading somewhere that he imagined the movie to be more of a dark movie. The book is darker than what "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was and I am very excited to hear that Burton, Depp and Elfman are creating "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" in a way that Dahl would have wanted. However I always did like "Willy Wonka", Gene Wilder gave a great performance in the movie.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't have an opinion either way on Johnnie Depp, but I don't know what the casting director was thinking. Did they say "We can't top Gene Wilder, so let's just do something else?" His outfit is decent, although the Paigeboy haircut has never been cool.

I mean, personally, the role of Willy Wonka would seemed destined to go to Robin Williams, as he can pull off being funny, serious, endearing, and cold all in the same movie. Heck, sometimes all in the same scene. That seems to be a perfect Wonka moment, to be telling jokes and hugging kids one moment and then, minutes later, be walking away without the slightest hint of concern as someone's greedy brat gets caught up in the machinery.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Robin Williams has had some really good roles, among those the Voice of the Genie, Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Mork. Of course he has had some other serious roles too: Good Will Hunting, Awakenings, Dead Poets, But then he has had his share of duds with Toys, Jack, Death to Smoochie, Bicentennial Man, Cadillac Man, and Popeye.

With Williams acting, if he's not on Caffeine Overload, his characters are usually depressing. Very seldom is there a middle ground with him. Some of his characters are memorable, and some so horrible you only wish you could remove those performance from your mind. Either a real hit or a real bomb.

But with Johnny Depp, you have a more youthful appearance, and characters with much greater depth, and each role designed for that particular character only. And Johnny's characters are always a wonderful creation. He is more consistanly "on".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast