Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Rawr...

Re: Pixar is now Disney.

Not gonna ie, I think Pixar is going to save Disney. I dont see a huge "hoorah" for any of Disney's computer animated movies... i say go back to drawing, belive in actors who have heart and not just big names, and come up with some origional ideas. Kind of like Pixar....
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Well, untill Apple start making decent POS solutions
    That's actually what a friend of ours does, programs inventory/POS/customer database/etc software for Mac. Unfortunately the shifts to OS X then Intel have hit him like a freight train and slow him down from adding features because he's too busy trying to adjust his program to be compatable with Jobs' latest vision for the future.

Anyway, I'm a Mac user, but the Mac love-in that seems to occur every time people talk about Jobs at Disney makes me .

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quite honestly, this excites me.. I think original drawing is in the past, and should stay there. It looks so tacky now.. even Bambi 2 wasn't drawn out, they did that via computer.. face it, original drawing is dead!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Vehicle rotating backward

Yep, even the low-budget cartoons that use terribly simple animation are done by computer.

In fact, I can't remember the name of the series, but I saw a cartoon series once that had an episode with a kid who wanted to grow up and be an animator as a one-time joke.

The main characters of the show met him and he showed them his by-hand cartoonist drawings, and then they tried to figure out how they were going to handle breaking his heart and telling him that they and every other "traditional" cartoon are done on computers now.

The whole "a bunch of people slaving over paper" method is truly gone.

I will curious to see if there will be any branding changes made to the Pixar products?

For example, Toy Story was a Walt Disney Pictures release.
    A Bugs Life was Disney and Pixar Present
    The Incredibles was Disney Presets a Pixar Animation Studios Film

Last I saw, Cars was still "Disney Presents a Pixar Animation Studios Film"

So..whaddya think? Back to the films being branded as Disney films?
    OR..stick with the integrity that Pixar has developed for themselves and release it AS IS, or, like a Hollywood Pictures or Touchstone presentation, simply as a Pixar film? That would be interesting...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsby
    So..whaddya think? Back to the films being branded as Disney films?
    OR..stick with the integrity that Pixar has developed for themselves and release it AS IS, or, like a Hollywood Pictures or Touchstone presentation, simply as a Pixar film? That would be interesting...
    I for one am glad they brought back Hollywood Pictures, but I question it's use... I am not certain that the market will understand the differance between Hollywood and Touchstone.

I know that Iger wants to keep the Pixar trade name out there, because it has BETTER quality association with key demographics in the market... Disney sort of burnt their bridges in the last decade... They will make a comeback now that Pixar Execs are incharge of the Disney Studio... I am sure...

They are using "Disney-Pixar" I believe. I think they are hoping to have the Disney brand name piggy back the association...

The question is will Disney's name cheapen the Pixar brand quality association?!?!? Who knows, only time will tell... I am hopefull because Eisner is gone... and creative controll of the studio is comming from Lassiter.
    Check out my other blog:

Blog Entries

I think "Disney's Pixar Animation" is the way to go or something close to that. We need to get the two brand names together to rebuild Disney's image back up and I think that could do it. Pixar could become known as the animation wing of disney or something like that.

And to this comment:

Quite honestly, this excites me.. I think original drawing is in the past, and should stay there. It looks so tacky now.. even Bambi 2 wasn't drawn out, they did that via computer.. face it, original drawing is dead!
    It may be dead, but not because it looks tacky. The hand drawn with lush oil painting backgrounds are beautiful and computer animated doesn't touch that feel still, even in Bambi II. The reason that it is dead is because it's so expensive. Computer animation can be done much quicker and cheaper.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think it should just stay as Disney-Pixar. I don't think enough people realize that Pixar was a seperate entity. I feel making Pixar the only animation department would be a bad idea. Pixar can continue to do as it does up in Emmerville, being the result of salutory neglect. I think Disney needs to stop with the once a year model. Maybe cut down to two, or three. Disney needs to make a huge recess from the market. Let the name sit dormant for awhile and then come flying out with something that is truely amazing.

• Creative Director

As it stands now, Walt Disney Feature Animation is compromised of two joint studios- Walt Disney and PIXAR- and from there the films will be labeled as such. The Disney feature animated films from Walt Disney will simply be 'Walt Disney Pictures', or you could just look at it as Disney. The PIXAR films will be released as Disney*PIXAR. They want the public to know that Pixar is still creating their own films, and that their studio will continue to operate as it always has. The creative and executive control of Walt Disney Feature Animation- Walt Disney is now under the control of Ed, John, and even others at PIXAR. From there, they are in the process of cleaning house (which is taking a while), and seting up the Disney studio in Burbank to be able to make their own films with a leadership team that stems from the creative process- much like it is at Pixar.
    hope that makes sense.

what ed catmull and john have started to do are the following:

*I stress that these things mentioned are rumors or second hand talk from people within disney and the animated film community

-Ed and john want Disney feature animation (burbank) to be able to make and develop films free from the executive interference.
    -they are supposedly going through and cleaning house in regards to the 'creative executives' and all the Admin that has taken over WDFA.
    -they are trying to strengthen the existing films right now- Meet the Robinsons, American Dog, Repunzal.
    -they are looking at new stories for furture development.
    - they are trying to put a stop to all Sequals from Disneytoon studios. the remaining ones being made, which there are only a few, will be the last.
    -they are setting up Disneytoon to focus more on franchises- Disney Princess, Pooh, fairies, and a few others. No more direct sequals to the classics. the franchises thing came more from Disney consumer products, supposedly, who have stood their ground in not getting their film projects canceled. though john and ed supposedly would like it all stopped, this is where I think they compromised.
    -Ed and John have been having pitch meetings from the artists at burbank for upcoming films, as well as upcoming shorts that they also want to now work on.

There is a bit a more, but it all is quite hush-hush, as Ed and John do not like anything leaking out to the internet and whatnot in terms of what they are doing.

hope that clears things up.

oh, and about traditional animation- nothing has been confirmed at all from anyone, but John and Ed and others at Disney have said that a traditional animated film would be made if they story really fit that medium best. it is not secret that john would like traditional back at disney, but anytime someone asks him, he barely even responds.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I would love new Disney shorts! I just love having a short before the Pixar films. They are just a great way to start a movie. That and it's a little something else for my $8.

• Banned User

Eek, I'm sick of Pixar- I'm not a huge fan of this computer animation crap.

I miss the good old days of hand-drawn animation.

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Eek, I'm sick of Pixar- I'm not a huge fan of this computer animation crap.

I miss the good old days of hand-drawn animation.
    I'm a Pixar fan, but I too am just sick of total CG animation domination. I think now that Disney owns Pixar, the Pixar should stay as their own division and they do all of Disney CG and the Disney Animation (by themselves) should go back to just Cel Animation, maybe with a little influence by a certain Pixar director (Brad Bird)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I absolutely adore hand-drawn animation and sincerely hope it remains a facet of Disney. That said, CGI is the way of the future and Pixar is the best. This was a good deal. (Also, my Disney stock shot up over $30 per share today. WooHoo!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• I hate Mondays

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    Having arrived late to this particular thread, I am responding to this without viewing the responses that may have followed.

Your example completely cancels out your arguement. Furthurmore, I think John Lasseter would disagree with you. He makes it very, very clear in the promos for 'Cars' that hand-drawn ani is still very much in use.

Tref, if you're still following this thread- good to see you're still alive, man!
    LoT

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Banned User

Didn't John Lasseter say that 2D animation was returning TWICE this week? (once in Time Magazine and also when was at that Q & A session in france)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast