• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Tourist found dead in pool at Disney hotel - Orlando Sentinel, 5/6/06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...adlines-orange

A tourist from Colorado has drowned at a Walt Disney World resort.

Nancy Heizer, 58, of Colorado Springs, was pronounced dead Thursday night after another guest noticed her floating motionless in a swimming pool at the Coronado Springs Resort, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

Guests, including a registered nurse from Maine, tried to resuscitate the victim. Cathryn Paolucci, the nurse, used an Automated External Defibrillator provided by Disney employees but was unable to restart the woman's heart, records show.

Heizer arrived Sunday for a weeklong stay to attend a conference of the U.S. Figure Skating Association, records show. Heizer worked for the skating association.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Tourist found dead in pool at Disney hotel - Orlando Sentinel, 5/6/06

Sad? Yes. Has anything to do with Disney? No. Nine people drown every day of the year. I honestly don't think this is newsworthy just because it happened at a Disney park (especially since it happened at night, likely when the pool was closed & there was no life guard on duty).

EDIT: (Didn't want to add another post, so I'll just edit this one). By not newsworthy, I wasn't talking about Darkbeer posting it here, but the Orlando Sentinel posting it.
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 05-07-2006 at 05:51 PM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• They wanna know, HO!

Disney also announced a new tamer pool experience that will allow those who cannot current go in the pool to go in the pool. It will be without water.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    Disney also announced a new tamer pool experience that will allow those who cannot current go in the pool to go in the pool. It will be without water.
    Wow, that is fantastic. Now people who wouldn't have been able to go in the pool now can. Who cares if it is a watered down (or in this case waterless) version, at least they'll be able to say they went on it, and then maybe they'll build up the courage to go in the real pool. Gosh, this is Disney at its best (and no, it's not because of this death but because Pools have made people sick all the time and now Disney wants as many people to experience it).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    Sad? Yes. Has anything to do with Disney? No. Nine people drown every day of the year. I honestly don't think this is newsworthy just because it happened at a Disney park (especially since it happened at night, likely when the pool was closed & there was no life guard on duty).
    What are you talking about? Did you just ask what does this have to do with Disney? YOU may not be interested in finding out that someone just drowned in a Disney Hotel Pool, but that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't. Newsworthy on a global scale? No. Micechat? HECK YEAH! And from reading that short story, how would the rest of us know that there was no life guard, etc, etc? A bit unfair to Darkbeer, I think.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Just to remind everyone,, this is a place to discus the story itself and not the posting of the story. Darkbeer was right in posting this story because it is a news item.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Official Mice Chat person

I've never seen a hotel pool that does have a lifeguard. There was most likely a warning sign saying that there would be no lifeguard on duty.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    What are you talking about? Did you just ask what does this have to do with Disney? YOU may not be interested in finding out that someone just drowned in a Disney Hotel Pool, but that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't. Newsworthy on a global scale? No. Micechat? HECK YEAH! And from reading that short story, how would the rest of us know that there was no life guard, etc, etc? A bit unfair to Darkbeer, I think.
    yeah, what localdisnyfan said!! Gee wiz, now its a crime to report the news?

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    It's a newsworthy story that we are hearing about because it came from the Orlando Sentinel. This is a paper, that if you read it often, you can easily see their anti-Disney slant. (Most papers have a slant of some sort.)

• Prefect

Blog Entries

okay, back on topic-

i personally was very saddened reading the news. this person may just be another statistic to some, but she was also family to someone else. it didn't even cross my mind that it was somehow Disney's fault, it just happened to have occurred in a Disney pool. very sad.
    <o>

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor

EDIT: (Didn't want to add another post, so I'll just edit this one). By not newsworthy, I wasn't talking about Darkbeer posting it here, but the Orlando Sentinel posting it.
    Well, the editor thought it was newsworthy... mostly because it was local, because it was a death, and because it was Disney property. People love a bit of a mistery... This kind of story fuels local newspapers all the time...

If you think about it, rumors about the event could be a lot worse than if the facts are not reported in the newspaper... The pool could turn into a water park as the word of mouth circulates... Better to keep the public informed, even if you have to do PR "damage control" at the same time...
    Check out my other blog:

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    I've never seen a hotel pool that does have a lifeguard. There was most likely a warning sign saying that there would be no lifeguard on duty.
    I work at a hotel and we make guests sign a waver because there is n o lifeguard on duty.

If you have an issue with a news item, please adress it to me in a pm, but do not attack other members. Thanks.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.