• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney's Hong Kong Headache - TIME Magazine, 5/8/06

http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazi...191881,00.html

Disneyland is supposed to be "The Happiest Place on Earth," but Liang Ning isn't too happy. The engineer brought his family to Disney's new theme park in Hong Kong from the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou one Saturday in April with high hopes, but by day's end, he was less than spellbound. "I wanted to forget the world and feel like I was in a fairytale," he says. Instead, he complains, "it's just not big enough" and "not very different from the amusement parks we have" in China. His seven-year-old daughter Yaqin disagrees, calling the park "fantastic," but her father grumbles: "If she wants to come again, "I'll send her with somebody else."

Hong Kong's Magic Kingdom has so far been a little short on magic. The $1.8 billion theme park, which opened last September, was touted by Disney executives as its biggest, boldest effort to build its brand in China, a potentially vast new market for its toys, dvds and movies. The Hong Kong government—which aggressively wooed Disney and is the park's majority owner"hoped Disneyland would help secure the city's reputation as one of Asia's top tourist destinations. However, the conservative approach of Disney and its partner has produced a pint-sized park that so far hasn't matched visitors' lofty expectations. Hong Kong Disneyland has a mere 16 attractions—only one a classic Disney thrill ride, Space Mountain—compared to 52 at Disneyland Resort Paris. Meanwhile, management glitches involving everything from ticketing to employee relations have further tarnished the venture's image. In a recent survey conducted by Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 70% of the local residents polled said they had a more negative opinion of Disneyland since its opening. "Disney knows the theme-park business, but when it comes to understanding the Chinese guest, it's an entirely new ball game," says John Ap, an associate professor at the university's School of Hotel and Tourism Management.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Disney's Hong Kong Headache - TIME Magazine, 5/8/06

I don't know why they won't fuel the money into building more large, signature Disney attractions asap. It doesn't make any sense that they spend it recaliming land for a second park when the first park is failing to live up to expectations. It's the same as every other cut-back type of Disney park. It fails to impress and causes more of hassle for everyone. I know that these rides take time to plan and build, but come on, they have to of had plans already drawn up for a second phase.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I don't know why they won't fuel the money into building more large, signature Disney attractions asap.
    They are. The reclaiming project takes years and they need to start working on that so they will have room to expand when they need it. Much of that is paid for by the Chinese government. In the mean time, they are working on some major additions to the Disneyland park. Some of which may include interesting adaptations on some old favorites (like Pirates and Small World).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Why do you keep talking?

Small Pirates!?!

I don't like that Article, Like it's trying to bring Disney down or something. I really liked how they comapered the number of attractions in HKDL to DLRP, like they were built at the same time or something. And I didn't know DLP had 52 "classic Disney thrill rides."
    Last edited by Hector; 05-08-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• UH..LIKE DUH..

The article is dead on. Disney thought they could get away with giving the laast amount of value they could. They got busted. the earler ideas that we on the boards we're modest but werent Disneyland's. they took the modest scope and built Disneyland Light. Now it needs more calories and a ton of sugar.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Cabin
    The article is dead on.
    I agree. I've been to HKDL. Saw the entire park in about 3 hours.
    It is pretty, but utterly lacking in enough attractions to keep the hoards busy. However, this park was built with VERY good infrastructure and is in a good position to build itself out well. Let's hope they do so soon.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,