• Creative Director

Funny Comment by John Lassiter regarding Disney Animation

Here is a link to a site that has a sit down interview with john lassiter- it is down the page and the first video - play it and listen to what he says about Disney- kind of funny.
    the text is in french, but the little video clips are worth watching.

http://pixarroom.free.fr/ArticlePremiereCARSParis.htm

• Huh?

Re: Funny Comment by John Lassiter regarding Disney Animation

Nice to hear that he realizes that Disney bought him for $7.4 billion.
    -Tim

• Rawr...

Ha! Like I said. Pixar is going to save Disney from Eisner.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I love how he says Disney has the Artists, theres artists want to be used, but there not!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• oh bugger

While I'm not disagreeing with what Lasseter has been saying in regards to the cheapening of story and quality within Disney's Animation Dept. I do however hope that now that Lasseter is back working for Disney that he potentially tone down his harsh rhetoric towards the company. We all know 'Cinderella II' is a joke and that Disney did pay 7.4 billion to get Lasseter and Pixar back, but I just don't like to listen to Mr. Lasseter being so coy about the situation, especially because he is so right.

I guess I'm kinda mixed about it, I know he's right, but I don't like the way he has been treating it during interviews like this one and others I've read about him lately. Disney went through a slump, Eisner pretty much destroyed the animation dept., most people know this, now is the time to move on, celebrate the great future that now lies ahead for Disney animation and not focus on the last 10 years of bad films and cheapquels.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I couldn't agree more with what you said jurgenb52. Hopefully Lasseter will stop talking about the past and getting on with the future and his great ideas.

• Drunk On Disney

BTW, you can translate the whole page with: http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    While I'm not disagreeing with what Lasseter has been saying in regards to the cheapening of story and quality within Disney's Animation Dept. I do however hope that now that Lasseter is back working for Disney that he potentially tone down his harsh rhetoric towards the company. We all know 'Cinderella II' is a joke and that Disney did pay 7.4 billion to get Lasseter and Pixar back, but I just don't like to listen to Mr. Lasseter being so coy about the situation, especially because he is so right.

I guess I'm kinda mixed about it, I know he's right, but I don't like the way he has been treating it during interviews like this one and others I've read about him lately. Disney went through a slump, Eisner pretty much destroyed the animation dept., most people know this, now is the time to move on, celebrate the great future that now lies ahead for Disney animation and not focus on the last 10 years of bad films and cheapquels.
    Yes, but on the other hand, by being so frank about how bad the past has been, he is sending a very clear signal to investors and consumers that the future of Disney will NOT be more of the same. My guess is he will spend a little while being outspoken about the company's troubled past, and then as the company moves along, and results become more and more the direct responsibility of the new regime, you'll hear less negativity from him. It's really about disassociating the current management from any recent upcoming failures of the company, so as not to "taint" the new guard in the eyes of the public before they've had an opportunity to turn things around.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• oh bugger

It does make sense, and I'm sure from a business perspective it might be whats best for him and Disney. It probably just sounds harsh and unecessary because to me it is so obvious how bad the product at Disney has been over the last few years, so pointing it out is just beating a dead horse.

I guess as long as Disney is riding around a 52-week high I shouldn't complain too much right?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    It does make sense, and I'm sure from a business perspective it might be whats best for him and Disney. It probably just sounds harsh and unecessary because to me it is so obvious how bad the product at Disney has been over the last few years, so pointing it out is just beating a dead horse.
    To you (and I) it was obvious. The previous management never said it, and it continued to deny it in its deeds. To have someone "in charge" say it is the first step toward recovery.
    (In the other article linked in the news forum, he notes that his frankness was one of the reasons he was "fired" from Disney the first time around.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    To you (and I) it was obvious. The previous management never said it, and it continued to deny it in its deeds. To have someone "in charge" say it is the first step toward recovery.
    (In the other article linked in the news forum, he notes that his frankness was one of the reasons he was "fired" from Disney the first time around.)
    There is also a key element to the Pixar deal that really does need to be addressed... And that is a change of culture within higher level management at Disney.

In someways that is why Lassiter is speaking up he knows that Disney needs a culture change in order to be successful and to make the Pixar deal pay off for Disney...

Creative control should be in the hands of artists and not managers... Eisner was a gate keeper who tried to hard to direct artists creative control... It killed Disney since Eisner had carte blanc without Wells as a buffer.. That is ten years to build a culture that dragged corporate culture into being a little like Bob Cratchet to Eisner's Ebeniser...

Hopefully with the changes we can say "God bless us, every one!"
    Check out my other blog:

• With my wife....

He had some interesting comments about 2D vs. 3D animation. His quote:

"In animation, they blamed 2D animation for bad stories. We always believed that 2D animation became the scapegoat for bad storytelling. Now, going back to Disney, to me, it's about stories... it's about characters, and matching the subject of a movie to it's medium. We've always been proud at Pixar of matcing the right subject to our medium of computer animation. So we will be doing that again, and trust me, part of it will be at Disney, bringing back 2D animation."

Let's hope his vision for 2D somehow prevents the impending release of "Brother Bear 2", and gets them back on track to making superior 2D films in addition to the 3D Pixar releases!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Man, I'm all with you on that, E-ticket. I only hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to see the-micechatter-formerly-known-as-"Ask Mike" make good on his threat to pose naked on Spaceship Earth if "Pixar ever makes a 2-D film" (though expect a spun "technicality" to get him out of it!).

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Man, I'm all with you on that, E-ticket. I only hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to see the-micechatter-formerly-known-as-"Ask Mike" make good on his threat to pose naked on Spaceship Earth if "Pixar ever makes a 2-D film" (though expect a spun "technicality" to get him out of it!).

Well, it sounds more like Lasseter is trying to get Disney animation proper to unleash their creativity once again in the 2D department..... so if that's the technicality that prevents anyone from disrobing atop any Disney attraction, it's good enough for me!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

What I would REALLY like to hear from Lassiter is that he is proposing that we go out and find a good chunk of the animators that were let go and REHIRE them back to their old jobs. Maybe we will never get the Florida studio up and running again, but I believe there is still a very healthy market out there for 2D animation, and Disney could be at the forefront of this movement if they come up with some decent stories.

I know that Chris whathisname (Lilo and Stitch) is working on a new animated feature and I think Glene Keane is doing something with Rapunzel.

Is anything else in the pipeline?