• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney not afraid of big bad internet - LA Daily News, 5/11/06

Disney not afraid of big bad internet

BY GREG HERNANDEZ, Staff Writer

The Walt Disney Co. Chairman and CEO Robert Iger wants everyone to know that he watched this week's episode of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" not on a television, but via computer on ABC.com.

And in case there were any doubts about his commitment to rapidly emerging media platforms, Iger also added he really enjoyed a Tylenol spot that played during a commercial break that included some unique online elements.

"As we see it, this is not an experiment," Iger said while reporting Disney's robust second-quarter earnings earlier this week. "We're in this for the long run."
    Full Story: Disney not afraid of big bad internet

• oh bugger

Re: Disney not afraid of big bad internet - LA Daily News, 5/11/06

"We are already showing you a glimpse of the future, which we've pretty quickly made the present," Iger said Tuesday.

I think that statement is a pretty powerful one. I'm thrilled to see Disney, at the hands of Iger, moving back into the forefront of technology, be that via the deal with Pixar and its revolutionary films, to being the first to strike a deal with Apple and iTunes. This type of forward thinking, risk taking and imagination is what Walt was all about.

Iger has been in charge for how long now and look at all he's done. I know he's trying to carve out his own identity in the big world, but boy is he going full steam ahead. Sure, he might stumble, but boy he'll do it running full steam, and thats what Disney needs in a CEO. Someone who will try and if something doesn't work to rethink it and try again.

While I like watching these quick changes, I'm also looking forward to what new technologies he has planned for the parks.