Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

A little off the film topic but here is a true story in today's Orange County Register about a family's "Night of Terror" in their home this past Saturday night. It is scary!

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...cle_477877.php

• Waiting for the stork

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    You got remember this is Michael Bay money not a Michael Bay production. I was working for Dimension when he made the deal with his newly developed horror division to split the cost of production between Dimension and the struggling MGM who had just made a fortune of of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The first project preposed was an Amityville Horror (remake) I read article after article and script after script, until it was narrowed down. In the end the project was developed but with a very strange twist- this film isn't a remake in the truest sense...its something else and I won't give it away.

Trust me when I say this is one f---ed up story. Unlike most horror films this has more basis in reality than almost any other. There is a Amityville home in the United States, where a man shot and killed his family because he was being driven mad and he blammed it on spirits that had been on that land before him and before them. Then in the 60's, prior to the first films, there was a repeat incident and the occupants suffered the same fate. All of this is truth, which is why it became the perfect basis for one of the best stories to date. I am a bit of a horror buff but after doing the research and knowing what I know now...I am very uncertain if I could watch this or the originals knowing how real they were.
    That's exactly why the original scared me so much...It's based on truth (and yes I do believe it...I'm Catholic.) even at 8 years old I knew it was a true story.

mystisjafo- I started reading Stephen king at 10(that's the earliest I could get my parents to finaly let me, I started trying at 7) my first SK book, Salem's Lot....

Nephythys- I agree they are much scarier at home in the dark, but I personaly think they are more fun on opening weekend (either Friday or Saturday...Date night) I sit in the back and not only watch the movie but the "audience participation" girls screaming, jumping, popcorn flying in the air and the occasional moviegoer that gets up running out of the theater...
    (Ok so I have a twisted sense of humor...my family can not figure me out yet they let me watch all these movies way too young and read whatever I wanted......gee is it any wonder I am a little twisted.)

By the way has anyone here read the Amittyville Horror.....

I am just odd enough to have read that followed by the Excorsist while my husband had to work a string of late night....Yeah that was a good idea
    procrastibating

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    I am just odd enough to have read that followed by the Excorsist while my husband had to work a string of late night....Yeah that was a good idea
    OHHHHHHH man that was like me reading Steven King's "The Shining" while I was a Resident Advisor in a giant building, during the middle of winter while everyone had gone home for break and I was left wandering the empty halls. Damn creepy!

• Just this guy......

The thing that bugs me about Amityville Horror (remake) is them saying “based on a true event”. When it has been shown and confessed that the even was totally made up by an author who paid the family to “tell the story” and to leave the house for a while.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    The thing that bugs me about Amityville Horror (remake) is them saying “based on a true event”. When it has been shown and confessed that the even was totally made up by an author who paid the family to “tell the story” and to leave the house for a while.

Kinda like Fargo says it is based on a true story right in the beginning, but that is totally fabricated!! It is completely false!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Waiting for the stork

OHHHHHHH man that was like me reading Steven King's "The Shining" while I was a Resident Advisor in a giant building, during the middle of winter while everyone had gone home for break and I was left wandering the empty halls. Damn creepy!
    Yup....I read that shortly after Amittyville and Excorsist....same run of late nights for hubby...only diference I could not read about the hedge animals at night...I had to put it away until he got home or the sun came back up, whichever was sooner.

I really want to stay at that hotel, the hotel in the book is a real place, SK just changed the name and of course made up the story, but I really want to stay there in that room and read the book.
    I think I must be really warped...or nuts
    procrastibating

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Yup....I read that shortly after Amittyville and Excorsist....same run of late nights for hubby...only diference I could not read about the hedge animals at night...I had to put it away until he got home or the sun came back up, whichever was sooner.

I really want to stay at that hotel, the hotel in the book is a real place, SK just changed the name and of course made up the story, but I really want to stay there in that room and read the book.
    I think I must be really warped...or nuts
    Ha ha that so reminds me of the episode where Joey tells Rachel about reading this book (the shining) and when it makes him scared he puts it in the freezer, cause nothing can getya when its in the freezer...

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

This was something I had heard before also. Not that it matters if it was a made up story but still takes away from the POTENTIAL that it was real.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo
    This was something I had heard before also. Not that it matters if it was a made up story but still takes away from the POTENTIAL that it was real.
    See the original as based on a false "true story" the current film coming out borrowers from several true stories similar to the context of the original films. Obviously its not a straight thriller piece, but I assure you from the newspaper articles, photos and stories I read while doing research at Dimension this story does have a basis in reality, a very distrubing reality at that!

• Waiting for the stork

It is BASED on a true story...the Lutz's story may or may not be true but many events very similar have happened to people. TRUST ME!

The likelyhood of these events happening at that house....
    You decide...
    It either really happened, the book is true (the original movie was not very accurate to the book, the remake looks much closer) yet the Lutz's later stated this as a fabrication to get away from all the negative press that happened years after the book and movie release.
    -Or-
    It's all a big ol bunch of BS totaly made up never happened.

but Demonic possesion, evil grounds, and Evil are real.

These things could have happened
    it's up to you to decide if they did or not.

however the Potential is there
    procrastibating

• Just this guy......

It is BASED on a true story...the Lutz's story may or may not be true but many events very similar have happened to people. TRUST ME!
    Not to get into a big debate with you Tinkerbelle:

The original murders did take place, but that book (and so the movie it was based on) which talks about the family that had to leave the house was a hoax. In the years that have passes the family members have told the story that they were paid tell this story.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...6.html?sect=12
    One of many links you can look up.

Does this mean that there is no such thing as ghost or paranormal? Of course not, it just means that this one even was "created" out of an author's imagination.
    Last edited by ni_teach; 04-12-2005 at 03:05 PM.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

The original murders did take place, but that book (and so the movie it was based on) which talks about the family that had to leave the house was a hoax. In the years that have passes the family members have told the story that they were paid by Lutz to tell this story.

Does this mean that there is no such thing as ghost or paranormal? Of course not, it just means that this one even was "created" out of an author's imagination.
    Yes but the interesting aspect that is often overlooked is that the family and the man who originally caused the murders claims that it was a force from a previous tenent- voices from people who had lived on the land. So the idea that another man is tormented also by the voices of the previous murder(s) is rather intriguing...true or not its interesting.

• Waiting for the stork

Thanks Ah shucks

The original murders did take place, but that book (and so the movie it was based on) which talks about the family that had to leave the house was a hoax. In the years that have passes the family members have told the story that they were paid tell this story.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...6.html?sect=12
    One of many links you can look up.
    (Yeah, I know, I have read everything I can possably get my hands on about this alleged insident and the back story, rumers, etc. Lets just say this story has been a sick little obsession of mine for years....)

I never said they happened in that house...mabey they did maybe they didn't...
    It very well could have been a hoax...however...
    Events with amazing similarities have been documented and experienced by other people (not just the Lutz family and not just at that house)

what I was trying (apparently unsucessfuly) to say is that:
    Evil exists, Demonic possesion does exist (the Excorsist is also based on documented facts, however the story and charactors were changed for the families protection, etc.)

The fact that the Amittyville Horror is Based on events is what I was trying to get across.

BTW: I'm not trying to be snippy or argumentative, I agree with everything you said the Lutz's did come forward saying it was a hoax...I just wanted to point out that such events have happened to people (not neccessarilly the Lutzs' though)
    procrastibating

• Waiting for the stork

Yes but the interesting aspect that is often overlooked is that the family and the man who originally caused the murders claims that it was a force from a previous tenent- voices from people who had lived on the land. So the idea that another man is tormented also by the voices of the previous murder(s) is rather intriguing...true or not its interesting.

Yes!
    procrastibating

•   
    • Minion

[QUOTE=AO*]Why remake it? It's called money.QUOTE]

Yeah, well... 9 times out of 10 the remake is a pale comparison to the original, and only shows folks that some people have thrown all originality out the window...

Every time I see a referance to Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes... I ask myself, "Why, Tim, why?" Of course, he needed a pay check... Still...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast