• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Cars': The First Great Movie of the Summer - TIME 5/14/06

DISNEY / PIXAR

The action shifts from NASCAR races to Nowheresville.
    From the Magazine | Arts
    Get Your Motor Running

Pixar, the champs of digital animation, put the pedal to the metal with Cars--the first great movie of the summer

By Richard Corliss
    TIME
    Posted Sunday, May 14, 2006

John Lasseter grew up in Southern California, where driving is people's passion and second career, and a car their church and fortress. So if you ask Lasseter about car love, you get an impromptu prose poem. "Car love," he says, "is the sound of a throaty V-8 rumbling and revving, the acceleration throwing you back in the seat--especially when you get on a beautiful, winding road and the light's dappling through the trees. For me, it's a combination of enjoying the beauty of cars, classic or cool modern ones, and also the actual driving: getting out on the open road, whether it's a family road trip or driving by myself on a nice windy road and enjoying the ride."
    Lasseter, 49, is also the Dale Earnhardt of computer animators, the first name in a mammothly successful form of popular art he pretty much created, beginning with his short Luxo Jr. in 1986. From the start, he's been the soul of Pixar Animation: he directed its first three hits (Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2) and executive-produced its next three (Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles). Early this year, when Disney bought Pixar--basically paying about $7 billion for Lasseter's brain--he became boss of the grand old animation studio as well as the most revered modern one. His job: get both groups to make great movies.
    They couldn't have a model that's smarter, snazzier or more moving, kinetically and emotionally, than Lasseter's Cars, which opens June 9. "I love having inanimate objects come to life," he says, ever the boy who can't stop tinkering and dreaming. All the characters are cars, but they're engagingly human. The lands they inhabit are richly detailed (thanks to years of research by Lasseter, co-director Joe Ranft and their team) and worlds apart: the NASCAR circuit, where autos and egos collide at 180 m.p.h., and a 1950s-ish town, keeping a sense of community far from the superhighway rat race.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...194022,00.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: 'Cars': The First Great Movie of the Summer - TIME 5/14/06

Best line in the article:

"Of all studios that should be doing 2-D animation, it should be Disney," (Lasseter) says. "We haven't said anything publicly, but I can guarantee you that we're thinking about it. Because I believe in it."

•   
    • Minion

Whoops, you just said something publicly, Lassiter... Duh oh!

Someone from PR needs to be assigned to him to keep him from spouting off to the press...

"I'll volunteer! Pay me, pay me, pay me! Oo oo oo! Me!"
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Whoops, you just said something publicly, Lassiter... Duh oh!

Someone from PR needs to be assigned to him to keep him from spouting off to the press...

"I'll volunteer! Pay me, pay me, pay me! Oo oo oo! Me!"
    There are no accidents.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• back in Austin

I, for one, have never thought that 2D animation was dead. It's expensive, yes, but so is 3D when it's done right. The question simply becomes "which medium helps us communicate this story better?" When Disney gets back to the point where story is king, and it seems to be headed that way, then 3D will be another tool in their toolkit and they will be free to use whichever medium or combination of media tell the story best.

• back in Austin

As the new hydra-head of animation, Lasseter may have an uphill journey: not just keeping Pixar on track (Brad Bird's Ratatouille, about a gourmet rodent in Paris, is next, probably followed by Toy Story 3)...
    I'm glad to hear that Lasseter will finally have his way and give the completion of the Toy Story trilogy. I was deeply impressed that TS2 was as good or better than TS1, both great films, I thought. According to DisneyWar, he wanted to produce TS3, but Eisner insisted on Cars.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Best line in the article:
    i will agree with that , quite refreshing , i dont know why no one has tried doing a "cell shaded" style animated movie yet , using 3d cg but in a 2d plane , it works so well for videogames

My Maleficent tattoo