Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Thumbs up Over The Hedge - My Review - Spoiler Free!!!

Saw this movie on opening night last night, instead of seeing the Da Vinci Code, which had most of it's showings sold out. But Becka and I both wanted to see this and it was time we saw something she wanted. Glad we chose it too. Because of the lines, and how the movie turned out......

The overall premise of the movie is basically about a hungry, theiving raccoon named R.J. (voiced by Bruce Willis) who must replace a wagonload of food that he stole from a bear. He leaves his woods which is right on the outskirts of Super Suburbia, with houses as far as the eye can see. Here he meets a group of forest animals including a turtle named Verne, voiced by Gary Shandling, and a nutty squirrel named Hammy, voiced by the 40 year old virgin's, Steve Carell. Here is where the laughing begins.

Other voices in the film are American Pie's Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, William Shatner, Wanda Sykes, Nick Nolte, Thomas Haden Church, and music sensation Avril Lavigne in her first feature film, doing a voice over role. And of course everyone remembers Bruce Willis' voice talents from the first two Look Who's Talking movies.

I have to admit, I loved this movie. It first started with a cute animated short called first flight, similiar to what the Pixar films do with their feature films. Then the movie started. And the audience was laughing from almost start to finish. My big favorite was the squirrel, he was totally hilarious!!! And though at first I thought he was voiced by Will & Grace's Sean Hayes (Jack) it was actually Steve Carell and did a very good job. He had me rolling.

This movie is great for the family. I haven't been a big Dreamworks fans (maybe because I'm a bigger Disney fan) possibly because the first few that came out did have a little profanity in it. But this one had absolutely zero profanity, and the only remotely scary part in it might be the bear towards the end, but I hardly thing it would be a problem. This is a movie you can take the little ones too, although it nabbed a PG rating for rude humor and mild comic action. But it is very funny in my honest opinion.

I highly recommend this movie to the families out there with kids, or to those who want to go out and see a good movie this weekend and bypass the big movie buzz based on a book, or the mild horror flick starring a wrestler. Go see it, get your funny bone tickled, and enjoy!

<edited to add>

With this first review thread, I need to start my own lil rating system. Since half of my name is phoenix, then let's go with the hot scale, with 5 the highest, or in this case, the hottest.

So to sum it up, I give this movie 4 flames, or a 4th degree burn. (trying to fine tune this scale rating.)
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 05-20-2006 at 10:36 AM.

• Minion

Re: Over The Hedge - My Review - Spoiler Free!!!

Hope I didn't give too much of it away.

• Disney Prince

I just saw it, I loved the movie! definately the best non-Pixar CG film ever! The entire movie is witty and adorable, you just can't help but love it.

• keep moving forward...

i didnt find myself laughing as much as i did with shrek...it put madagascar to shame which is strange because according to the years worth of advertising they put in it...i think dreamworks thought madagascar would be a hit...this is defidently a nice one to take a kid or two to...though i still love shrek the most out of dreamworks...this comes in a close second...followed by shark tale, and shrek 2...

i have noticed that all of dreamworks movies have different atittudes and humor, shrek catered to adults and kids, shark tale went for the "lets make it hip to get the teens in" thing.

• Still lost in Neverland

This movie is based on a comic strip that is still running in some daily and Sunday papers. I loved the strip, and intend to see the movie this week. The previews made it look very funny, and Hammy is hillarious in the comic strip as well. The only thing is that in the stip, R.J. and Verne are pals right from the get go, and the basic story is that the suburb invaded their forest property. Then R.J discovers Junk Food and all the animals look to R. J. for leadership in invading the suberbs to get junk food, which thanks to R.J. they all now are addicted too. Verne is the voice of reason, who trys to make R.J. see the errors of his ways, but usually gets sucked into whatever plan R.J. has cooked up. It is a very funny strip. The strips can be found on line at the comic strip web sites. This is the one I use. http://www.comics.com/comics/hedge/
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Just saw it, we liked it. Both of my boys laughed their butts off!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I loved it, hilarious, Hahaha!! ButIloveDeCookie

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    I loved it, hilarious, Hahaha!! ButIloveDeCookie
    lol I love that line. Almost had it over the picture. But I decided to go with the last line of the movie! lol

We saw this movie Monday. It was really pretty cute - I've been telling my husband "This face was bred for beauty!" all week and, well I get a kick out of it anyway.

Our favorite part was when Hammie drank the energy drink at the end. We laughed so hard we were practically cackling - I don't think that whole thing with the earth stopping and the slow-motion is something meant for the young kids to understand, and that made it that much funnier. Who hasn't felt that way after drinking a RedBull?

• The Fantasyland guy

Hammie in he end was my favorite part as well. That was great!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Saw an early showing of it on Friday. I thought it was alright, aside from some recurring gags like Spuds the audience did not seem too into it.

In case people don't know, for the past 15 years Las Vegas has been building nothing but identical looking master-planned communities where there was many acres of desert wildlife nearly a few years ago, so I did find the take on that phenomenon quite cute. However, being that the theater was located in the heart of the most pretigious/snobbish MPC in the city (think Celebration FL stuffy), the homeowner association "OMG our land values!!" jokes totally fell flat on the audience, who act quite close to the movie's depiction.

• Senior Minion

I saw it saturday with a friend and just loved it. I thought Hammie was the cutest character!!!! I just loved him. Makes me want a stuffed one for my own.
    Great movie for all ages, really. My friend and I just laughed and laughed at the movie and some people asked us if we thought we were too old for the movie, and we said no way! Can never be too old
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Please tell me this movie is better than Madagascar? I was excited to see it but sorely disappointed when I did.

• Minion

It was a good movie stitch, and I'm not much of a dreamworks fan.

• Senior Minion

I found it was definitely a very family oriented film. A great show by Dreamworks . My wife and I thought it had it's moments of humor. Atomic-Exploding-Nacho cheese chip bags were hiliarious!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast