Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Funnier than you.

Breaking News: Disney Magazine is No More!

Just got an e-mail from Jim that Disney has shut down "Disney Magazine". The story should be up soon over at Jim Hill Media. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It was a great publication that I've been reading since I was a kid. It will be missed.
    That Guy!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Mitchell
    Just got an e-mail from Jim that Disney has shut down "Disney Magazine". The story should be up soon over at Jim Hill Media. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. It was a great publication that I've been reading since I was a kid. It will be missed.
    Any explanation on why? They still promote Disney Adventures at the supermarket but they can't afford to promote Disney Maganzine?

• Compulsive Map Collector

Thats a shame. Ive been a long time subscriber.

This really sucks!

• Banned User

Then they better return my money since I just bought a subscription.

THANK GOD for Japan's Kodansha and their spectacular monthly publication "Disney Fan" covering the parks, and just about anything Disney on Earth!!!

http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc/magazines/disneyfan/

(too bad it's in japanese)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    That surprises me. After all, they give it away as a perk with a Premimum Pass.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I personally am not sorry to see it go. I loved it when it was Disney News and available to MKC families only. I think I have every issue from about 1977 to 1996 when it became the Disney Magazine (first issue had WDW's Castle Cake for the 25th Anniversary on it). Since then, the magazine has been just PR fluff with little or no substance. I actually enjoyed the last issue and was shocked they had a freelancer write a story about Five Attractions from the Tokyo Parks that Fans Would Like to see Come to the USA parks. Quality story ... and pointed out what kind of attractions have been added over there, while we get ... less.

Anyway, I'm sure this is great news for anyone who's just started a Disney fan magazine and has their head stuck up Disney publicists' behinds. Not that I know anyone like that, of course ;-)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Who made this decision to shut down the Disney Magazine? Iger? Eisner? Someone else?

This is something, and really the only magazine that I look forward to seeing in my mailbox. It always offers an insight that I don't catch elsewhere. This last issue with the article about Tokyo DL was wonderful. And I enjoy having a hard copy that I can take along to enjoy, pictures to enjoy. And I enjoy looking through some of my old issues from time to time. You just can't dismiss the reason for canning this magazine was because of the internet.

It really gives a nice history of the Disney Resort, movies and attractions. And even though I had a subscription for several years, whenever I stayed at one of Disney's hotels, I always felt more welcome because of the magazine in my room.

And of course it's a great marketing tool for the entire Disney Company. Whether is be new CD, DVDs, info on New Movies, or any other part of the Disney Company, I was a perfect opportunity to get more info out about what was happening at Disney, from Disney. Self promotional for sure, but for us Disney fanatics, Guests. annual passholders, and many others will certainly miss it.

And to stop this right before DL's 50th. I was really looking forward to the next issue with a picture of the Castle all decked out.

• Senior Minion

That's funny, Ijust got a renewal for Disney Magazine. I won't be sending it in, IF this is true and not hearsay.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Funnier than you.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Anyway, I'm sure this is great news for anyone who's just started a Disney fan magazine and has their head stuck up Disney publicists' behinds. Not that I know anyone like that, of course ;-)

While I don't think that the wording of your description of the Laughing Place magazine is kind or appropriate. I think that you do raise an interesting point for discussion. If, as many people enjoy saying, Laughing Place Magazine is just out to make Disney look good and get on the good side of the PR department, then their magazine will be just as tepid and weak as Disney Magazine has been. After all, if they are trying to stay in the good graces of Disney PR, then they can't write the kind of stories many of us want to read, for fear of ticking off Disney.
    Is there a chance that Disney Magazinbe getting shut down is actually related to Laughing Place Magazine? Look at it from Disney's point of view. Here is a group of fans that is going to do all the work that we used to pay for on their own, and all we have to do is let them into all the press functions. It's a win-win for Disney and Laughing Place.
    That Guy!

• Minion

FWIW, I found this on savedisney.com:
    http://www.savedisney.com/news/features/fe041205.1.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Mitchell
    While I don't think that the wording of your description of the Laughing Place magazine is kind or appropriate. I think that you do raise an interesting point for discussion. If, as many people enjoy saying, Laughing Place Magazine is just out to make Disney look good and get on the good side of the PR department, then their magazine will be just as tepid and weak as Disney Magazine has been. After all, if they are trying to stay in the good graces of Disney PR, then they can't write the kind of stories many of us want to read, for fear of ticking off Disney.
    Is there a chance that Disney Magazinbe getting shut down is actually related to Laughing Place Magazine? Look at it from Disney's point of view. Here is a group of fans that is going to do all the work that we used to pay for on their own, and all we have to do is let them into all the press functions. It's a win-win for Disney and Laughing Place.
    First Cory, I never mentioned that magazine by name. But if the description fits ... and FWIW, I was openly threatened by one of the financial powers behind that magazine, and then asked not to post by the Big Man, when I raised just the kind of issues that you did. I didn't find my treatment to be kind or appropriate.

I have MAJOR issues with folks who post lies and when you try and debate them, they refuse and remove you, so they can go on with their magical agenda. You can bet there won't be stories in that 'independent' publication about how Stitch's Great Escape is an embarrassment (indeed one of their 'writers' wrote about the attraction without ever experiencing it himself and than argued with my first-hand reports of it) or about the dumbing down of the WDW product from turning Main Street USA into an outlet mall gone bad, to sticking the same merchandise in every shop (themeing be damned) to allowing major attractions (like Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain) to fall into disrepair to legit questions like 'Has WDW gotten too big for its own good?'

No, what you'll see is all that Disney Press and Publicity and Marketing wants you to see ... Soarin, Cinderallabration, Lucky at WDW, and all those many new things DL is getting for its 50th (like a new parade, new fireworks, rebuilt Space Mountain, and that big crowd-pleaser, Buzz Lightyear).

But you can bet your a$$ that the other 'place' will have improved access, especially at media eating and drinking contests. Does that sound independent? To me a TRUE Disney fan publication would tackle everything, the good, bad and ugly. You'll never see that in the publication you refer to.

I don't believe Disney Magazine shutting down has anything at all to do with any publication starting up (especially since there's no guarantee that one will be around in six months). But your larger point, and what Jim Hill pointed out in his column this week, is quite accurate.

There are so many outlets for Disney information that didn't exist a decade ago. Disney could hide things better without the Internet around to spread everything from price increases, to new attractions, to accidents in the parks etc ... There's no doubt the Disney Magazine lost money (likely not a big sum, but Disney counts every penny). In trying to be lean and mean, it was deemed expendable. I lamented the transformation of Disney News into the publicity rag that was the DIsney Magazine, but I am not shedding any tears over DM.

When I want my Disney info, I simply can ask the people I know who work in many facets of the company ... or I can read sites like this one. Al Lutz seems to have an uncanny knack for breaking stories. I don't agree with everything he writes, but I certainly respect his passion.

But if question/point is does Disney like getting free positive publicity ... well, I think we can answer that ourselves.

• Funnier than you.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    First Cory, I never mentioned that magazine by name. But if the description fits ... and FWIW, I was openly threatened by one of the financial powers behind that magazine, and then asked not to post by the Big Man, when I raised just the kind of issues that you did. I didn't find my treatment to be kind or appropriate.
    I know you didn't mention the publiucation by name, but I think it was pretty clear who you were talking about. No need to be coy. As long as we can debate freely and openly without making cheap personal attacks, there should be no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to mention Laughing Place by name, and critique their publication. I just thought that the way you phrased it was crude and unkind. While you may have been treated poorly by them, it is best to rise above their treatment of you. Saying that they have their "heads stuck up Disney publicists behinds" isn't exactly rising above how you say they treated you.
    But, back on topic, I think that this is an interesting debate to have. The way Disney fans recieve their info is evolving very rapidly and the rules seem to change by the minute.
    The news cycle has been redefined by people like Matt Drudge and websites like Fark.com. The Disney internet community and sites like Jim's and Al's are all adjusting to those changes. Oddly, Laughing Place has chosen another path. A path that is very much in the opposite direction of the rest of the community.
    I have no clue how the magazine is performing, but a look at Alexa numbers show that the website has suffered in the traffic department due to the editors new focus on the magazine.
    I could keep witing about this, but maybe I should just shut my mouth and save it all for a column. But, I think this is a very interesting topic that should be discussed more often.
    That Guy!

First off, Cory, I don't think you should shut your mouth. I'm enjoying the exchange/discussion. And you're right it certainly should be discussed. And as for being coy, well ... maybe I was. But I'm human, I have every right to take a shot at folks who have done likewise to me. I still wish Doobie and Rebekah the best with their endeavors. I don't think they're bad people. I have less regard (much) for their not-so-silent partner, but I'd rather not waste time or energy going into all the reasons.

The way Disney fans receive their news has changed drastically with technology, just like the way we receive real news. Remember when your choices were either ABC, CBS or NBC? Then CNN came along and revolutionized news. Now, you can get news updates on your cell-phone or blackberry or techno-gizmo of the moment ... you also get many different views. I truly despise the 'fair and balanced' FOX News Network, but they do offer other viewpoints.

That's what most Disney sites do. Frankly, LP.com is very bland and offers very little other than some nice photos (minus any captions to give context), links to some Disney headlines and the discussion boards and some type of shopping service. I lurked on them for about six months before I decided to post because there was so much mis-information being spread and, frankly, today is you say the same thing enough times it becomes a 'fact' even when it isn't. You also have sites like Screamscape.com, which seems to just pick up 'news' items from other sources and places them out like fact.

To me, it's just common sense that you can't run a worthwhile Disney site when you don't wish to put out anything controversial.

•   
    • Minion

Well, I for one don't see this as particularly impactfull... Actually...

As an PAP holder, I am a little upset, and would hope they replace the benifit with something perhaps a program that is as incitefull... The newsletters are nice now that they went to a calander format... But it isn't the same.
    Check out my other blog:

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    FWIW, I found this on savedisney.com:
    http://www.savedisney.com/news/features/fe041205.1.asp
    If I recall correctly the article states that Disney Magazine started turning a profit sooner than expected but was not looked on as a "growth" center. Very interesting.

Now, I know the source of this information is a bit biased, bt still...if it had started to make money, why close it?
    Also, if correct, there may be enough yelling inside of disney to bring it back. Only time will tell.

I am glad I did not subscribe...
    Last edited by Gwyren; 04-13-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast