• Huh?

Disney Pins on Wings (Large Photo Update)

So, today I finally made it out to the National Museum of the United States Airforce in Dayton, OH to see the Disney Pins on Wings exhibit. Unlike the Disneyland exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum, neither the museum nor Disney made much of an effort to let people know that this exhibit was even there. In fact, the website barely even has mention of it -- you'll need to search through the press releases to find *anything* on it. Perhaps it was due to the exhibit and the museum being completely free, they didn't feel the need to put out an effort to advertise it.

About the exhibit: This is an exhibit about a part of Disney history that I love: Disney's contributions to the war efforts. It's 90% art show, the remaining being a couple of jackets, some pieces of noses, and a set of unofficial ceramics... more later. I managed to capture nearly the entire exhibit on film, so there's a lot of pictures here.

Animator designing insignia. These mannequins are a museum staple. A video about the Disney connection to insignia plays on the drawing board.

An example of non-Disney work used in insignia. This is Albert from Walt Kelly's Pogo, dated 1959. Walt Kelly, I believe, was still working as an animator at Disney during the war.

The only other non-Disney piece in the collection. Made by Warner Bros., depicts the baby bear from Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

(sorry about the blur... bad lighting at this and a couple other points made for a hard photo to do)

(This one is on permanent display at the museum... it was removed from another case for this exhibit and will still be at the museum after the exhibit is done.)

To be continued...
    -Tim

• Huh?

Re: Disney Pins on Wings (Large Photo Update)

This nose is from Desert Storm, based on a WWII Disney-created insignia.

Last edited by FrumiousBoojum; 05-21-2006 at 03:13 PM.
    -Tim

• Huh?

This is one of a couple of lighted floor pictures... the other was of Donald and one of his nephews in a blanket -- you know, the kind that the stork brings babies in. However, that was placed at such a weird angle, it was too difficult to photo.

Above two are patches, buckles, and Zippos.

From the museum's collection, so I assume they'll be relocated at the end of the exhibit. This aero squadron had named themselves Snow White and the Seven Dwarves since there were 8 of them. They each had one of the dwarves painted on their nose. When in Italy, they had these ceramic figures made.

-Tim

• Huh?

More to be found elsewhere in the museum...

From a bell-bottom uniform.

The back of another uniform.
    -Tim

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

this is so cool boojum

• Huh?

One more set: Two more uses of Roy's Flying Tigers designs to be found in the musem (second one is a closeup of a plane)... these were REALLY hard to photo. Wish I had taken my tripod.

-Tim

• For You!

that is such neat stuff!! Was there a gift shop? I'd love to have some of the posters.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Huh?

There was a gift shop... but they didn't make any merchandise specific to the exhibit. In fact, there was no Disney stuff to be found in the gift shop at all.

I really with there was... At least a reprint of the ultimate book on Disney insignia (which has been out of print for a long time) would've been great.

The exhibit only has a couple more weeks to go. The pics above are 98% of the exhibit.
    -Tim

• All you need is LOVE

Wow what great pictures thanks for sharing

• Still lost in Neverland

That is just a great trip and fantastic photos. Thank you very much. I was lucky enough to get that Disney Wartime Insignia book when it first came out. It's in the collection still. It is nice to have these photos though as they are the real thing. Great shoot.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

Wow, thanks FB. These are great. sure is nice to see some of the other Disney Artwork. I have a Window decal from the Columbia Supply Co. with Pluto holding a Thompson SM gun, from the 37th Recon.Co. but this is not a flight group obviously.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

FB,

Dude, this is a really cool niche exhibit, I wish it would travel to some other museums! Thanks for your photos and sharing. Very cool. I'm impressed. I had no idea of stuff like this.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Huh?

This was the first time I had been to that museum in about 15 years or more... the place changed quite a lot.

The food in the cafeteria is still not that good.

But now they have an IMAX theater.

I probably wouldn't suggest going to make a special rushed trip to make it there before the exhibit closes (it's in a rather small room), but if you're really into aviation, especially WWII airplanes, it's a great mueseum to go to. They're adding a section based on NASA right now, but only a few rather large rockets and a couple of capsules are on display so far.

The museum is made up of about 5 large hangars, so there's plenty of room for some REALLY big planes.

This exhibit I doubt will do any traveling... I haven't heard mention of it yet, at least. Part of it is from their personal collection, the rest is direct from Disney. This is a museum that survives off of membership fees, gift shop, IMAX, and cafeteria sales (plus government funding since it is affiliated with the USAF), so I doubt they'll be putting any money out for traveling. Which is a shame considering this is the largest public display of the original art ever.
    -Tim