• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Merch: Did they miss again?

So with The Curse of the Black Pearl Disney missed thier chance. The made no merch, no toys thinking it would be an adult's movie. What they did do was make sure the adults and teens got t-shirts and movie posters to go out and see this movie. It took years before widespread figures, toys, clothes and all that appeared for the movie.

Well now it appears Disney has gone the opposite way. Dead Man's Chest is (seemingly) being marketed to kids. At work we have little PoTC: 2 action figures. We have big action figures, we have skateboards for crying out loud...

...but go to Hot Topic or any t-shirt store...heck even in WDW and NYC's World of Disney Store...I cannot find a single t-shirt dedicated to PoTC: 2. No place has movie posters. It seems this time the merch is all being marketed to kids.

Am I missing something? Or is this franchise becoming Disney's next kiddie merch pusher and adults are being left out of the loop?
    Why can't they seem to get this right?

Or am I just having horrible luck finding things?

• Huh?

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Merch: Did they miss again?

Horrible luck, I guess... there's plenty of expensive and collectible replicas that have been made.
    -Tim

Can I view these anywhere online?

• Huh?

-Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    So with The Curse of the Black Pearl Disney missed thier chance. The made no merch, no toys thinking it would be an adult's movie. What they did do was make sure the adults and teens got t-shirts and movie posters to go out and see this movie. It took years before widespread figures, toys, clothes and all that appeared for the movie.

Well now it appears Disney has gone the opposite way. Dead Man's Chest is (seemingly) being marketed to kids. At work we have little PoTC: 2 action figures. We have big action figures, we have skateboards for crying out loud...

...but go to Hot Topic or any t-shirt store...heck even in WDW and NYC's World of Disney Store...I cannot find a single t-shirt dedicated to PoTC: 2. No place has movie posters. It seems this time the merch is all being marketed to kids.

Am I missing something? Or is this franchise becoming Disney's next kiddie merch pusher and adults are being left out of the loop?
    Why can't they seem to get this right?

Or am I just having horrible luck finding things?
    It's only mid-May, the film opens July 7th. You won't be able to miss adult sized clothing, etc. In the meantime take a look at the first wave of the sequel's merchandise in a thread from weeks ago here:
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...orld+of+disney
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

They have all that stuff in WDW too...but none of it says "Dead Man's Chest". In fact as of last weekend WDW's POTC shop had nothing that said "Dead Man's Chest"...it was all that generic merch.
    I know it is only mid-may but by this time in 03 I recall seeing all sorts of things for "Curse of the Black Pearl". Maybe I am impatient...but considering they now have skateboards out in toystores I guess I want my share.

• 'splosions

a few months ago, Hot Topic had a shirt with the original POTC2 teaser poster on it. you may still find it somewhere out there

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Looks like DL will have a small matted print of the movie poster
    (with the main characters) for both POTC: 1 & 2.

See items 15 & 16 here

I did get a T-Shirt a couple weeks ago at World of Disney,
    But, don't recall if it has the flamming torches. I will check
    when I get home tonight.

• I Hug My Tapirs

I just got home from Borders, and they had the Pirates of the Caribbean Visual Guide. I had to put it down within a minute because the whole last half of the book is one big giant spoiler for Dead Man's Chest. Also aimed more at kids, but fun for adults anyways.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

•   
    • Minion

I have some missgivings about this movie, I think it is going to be more than slightly below my expectation...

Because when I saw the trailer, it looked as if Bucchanheimer was given a bucket load of cash for special effects... And the beauty of the last film was it's seeming simplicity... which featured Jonny Depp's performance.

All I have seen of the trailer is Captain Jack run around in headless chicken mode... I really haven't been all that impressed with the trailer... I am hoping that I am wrong about this... Pirate films are cursed...
    Check out my other blog:

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

the Disney Stores are getting alot of PoTC Merch by the end of this month. I am not sure when the items will start to arrive in stores, but I assume nearing the end of the semi-annual sale that just started this past week as the PoTC is the next major stage set a the store... Sadly my store wont be doing this as we are closing for the remodel in just over a week.
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat
    a few months ago, Hot Topic had a shirt with the original POTC2 teaser poster on it. you may still find it somewhere out there
    i bought mine the day it was put on the shelf, lol

had my pride for at least 3 months now

just keep your eyes open, we have a whole section at hot topic here devoted to Mr. Depp and pirates