Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil

The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil

Director - Dominic Champagne, Music Directors - Sir George Martin & Giles Martin

LAS VEGAS, May 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Media from around the world experienced the first 'sneak preview' of the latest Cirque du Soleil show, LOVE, a co- production with Apple Corps Ltd., which celebrates the musical legacy of The Beatles. A press conference was held today in the custom-built theatre at The Mirage in Las Vegas.

Music Directors Sir George Martin and his son Giles Martin have been working with the entire archive of Beatles recordings to create the musical component for LOVE. They were present at the press conference today to describe their unprecedented approach to the music for a stage production. "I think we will achieve a real sense of drama with the music, the audience will feel as though they are actually in the theatre with the band. People are going to be knocked out by what they are hearing!," said Giles Martin.

Using the master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, Sir George and Giles have created a unique soundscape of Beatles music for LOVE. "We wanted to make sure there are enough good, solid hit songs in the show, but we don't want it to be a catalog of 'best of's'," said Sir George Martin. "We also wanted to put in some interesting and not well-known Beatles music and use fragments of songs. The show will be a unique and magical experience."

Dominic Champagne, who directed and wrote the original concept for the show, explained his vision for LOVE. "I wanted to create a Beatles experience rather than a Beatles story, taking the audience on an emotional journey rather than a chronological one," said Dominic Champagne.

LOVE brings the magic of Cirque du Soleil together with the spirit and passion of The Beatles to create a vivid, intimate and
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...4052006-1.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Mission B.C. Canada!!!!!!!! Off to California!!!!!!!!!

Re: The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil

Ya I saw this on Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood tonight it looks amazing

From Jeff

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Saw the show Monday night, such fun! The music is of course, more than great as is much of the production. One of the many highlights for me was of George Harrison's "Something", one man onstage dealing with four beautiful fleeting and of course, flying women. It was dreamily sexy and quite moving. The show's usage of audio & video projections of the lads was inspired and equally hilarious and heartwarming. See it!

Box Office on the left, the show's Boutique on the right

The Theatre entry way

Last edited by ALIASd; 08-16-2006 at 02:30 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Neep meep beep

WOW, are you friggin' LUCKY! Amazing, and thanks for both the mini-review, as well as the pictures!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks, it was a genuine treat and certainly a thrill. Even the non-super Beatles and/or Cirque Du Soleil fans throughout the audience seemed to enjoy it, if not understand it completely, Ah Vegas!
    When you see the show watch for the infamous 28 IF license plate on the bug...

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque...ntro/intro.htm

I'm glad you guys posted about this! I heard about it a while ago and sort of forgot about it. I am going to try to get my husband to go. We are due for a weekend/vacation. Yay!

Any tips on where to sit? Can you see in the "cheap" $99 seats? That's all that's left. We're definitely going to see LOVE. I booked a hotel for next Thurs and Fri night in Vegas

• Oh bother!

Access Hollywood To Broadcast The Beatles "LOVE" By Cirque du Soleil

ACCESS HOLLYWOOD TO BROADCAST EXCLUSIVE IN-DEPTH LOOK AT THE BEATLES LOVE BY CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
    Broadcast Premieres August 19 on the NBC Universal Owned and Operated Television Stations Hosted By Nancy O'Dell And Billy Bush
    Exclusive Interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono
    & Olivia Harrison Featured

New York - August 7, 2006 -- Access Hollywood takes an exclusive in-depth look at the The Beatles LOVE, the highly acclaimed latest Cirque du Soleil production, in a one-hour program hosted by anchors Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush. The special airs August 19 from 9 - 10 p.m. EST/PST and 8 - 9 p.m. CST exclusively on the NBC Owned and Operated television stations.

LOVE brings the magic of Cirque du Soleil together with the spirit and passion of The Beatles music to create a vivid, intimate and powerful entertainment experience. Access Hollywood has been allowed unprecedented access to LOVE, including behind the scenes of the production from its earliest stages and exclusive interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison. The special also features interviews with Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté and LOVE director Dominic Champagne, as well as the creative team behind this spectacular production. In addition, Access Hollywood is granted an in-depth look at the music behind LOVE, including footage shot at Abbey Road studios with Sir George Martin and his son Giles, who together, using the master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, created a unique soundscape for LOVE (the album for which is currently being worked on at Abbey Road studios by George and Giles for release later this year.)
    This joint artistic venture marks the first time that The Beatles company, Apple Corps Ltd., has agreed to a major theatrical partnership. The project was born out of a personal friendship and mutual admiration between the late George Harrison and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté. LOVE is performed exclusively at The Mirage in Las Vegas.
    Rob Silverstein and David Saltz serve as executive producers for the special with senior producer Claudia Eaton, producer Michael Soares and director Richard Plotkin.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by brigeet
    Any tips on where to sit? Can you see in the "cheap" $99 seats? That's all that's left. We're definitely going to see LOVE. I booked a hotel for next Thurs and Fri night in Vegas
    The theatre itself is not really that large, it's designed for maximum visibility from all viewing aspects. As with most Cirque du Soleil productions the artists enter & exit from almost every conceivable direction. Don't know specifically about the higher seats, we were fortunate to be in row D having entered from door 4.

Be sure to allow extra time to browse the Boutique & enjoy one of the VERY refreshing Beatlesque-themed beverages like the "Can't Buy Me Love" or a moon pie(!) - have a fab time!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by hoppypooh
    Access Hollywood To Broadcast The Beatles "LOVE" By Cirque du Soleil

ACCESS HOLLYWOOD TO BROADCAST EXCLUSIVE IN-DEPTH LOOK AT THE BEATLES LOVE BY CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
    Broadcast Premieres August 19 on the NBC Universal Owned and Operated Television Stations Hosted By Nancy O'Dell And Billy Bush
    Exclusive Interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono
    & Olivia Harrison Featured
    New York - August 7, 2006 -- Access Hollywood takes an exclusive in-depth look at the The Beatles LOVE, the highly acclaimed latest Cirque du Soleil production, in a one-hour program hosted by anchors Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush. The special airs August 19 from 9 - 10 p.m. EST/PST and 8 - 9 p.m. CST exclusively on the NBC Owned and Operated television stations.

LOVE brings the magic of Cirque du Soleil together with the spirit and passion of The Beatles music to create a vivid, intimate and powerful entertainment experience. Access Hollywood has been allowed unprecedented access to LOVE, including behind the scenes of the production from its earliest stages and exclusive interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison. The special also features interviews with Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté and LOVE director Dominic Champagne, as well as the creative team behind this spectacular production. In addition, Access Hollywood is granted an in-depth look at the music behind LOVE, including footage shot at Abbey Road studios with Sir George Martin and his son Giles, who together, using the master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, created a unique soundscape for LOVE (the album for which is currently being worked on at Abbey Road studios by George and Giles for release later this year.)
    This joint artistic venture marks the first time that The Beatles company, Apple Corps Ltd., has agreed to a major theatrical partnership. The project was born out of a personal friendship and mutual admiration between the late George Harrison and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté. LOVE is performed exclusively at The Mirage in Las Vegas.
    Rob Silverstein and David Saltz serve as executive producers for the special with senior producer Claudia Eaton, producer Michael Soares and director Richard Plotkin.
    Thanks for the viewing tip!
    http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah1296.shtml

• 'Ohana means family...

Report from the nosebleed section

Hey,

I caught the show last Saturday. About three rows from the top in the $69 seats. I think it would be better closer in. I felt removed from a lot of the action, but some of the folks on wires were very close. I agree with ALIASd that 'Something' was awesome - my favorite segment. The show itself felt quite segmented and overly cluttered at times. I think part of the segmentation is the nature of doing a show to pop songs. That said, the show is recommended - especially if you are a Beatles fan.

The theater has over 6000 speakers - with speakers in front of each row and more speakers in the seat back. There was a buzz in one of the speakers behind me - hopefully that doesn't become a widespread problem with the sound system.

LD

Re: Report from the nosebleed section

Thank you for the info, guys. I ended up getting the 125 seats so we're somewhere in the middle area. 8 days away! Yes, I'm a huge Beatles fan. We're seeing this show Fri night and then Sat night we have tickets to a Beatles tribute concert with the Pacific Symphony in IRvine. Yes, I am a nerd :P

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i'm a dork, i forgot all about it and i went to vegas last week. I did buy a couple of cool beatles shirts though

Just back from Vegas today. We saw LOVE last night. My husband and I absolutely loved it. We had great seats. We paid $125 each and sat pretty much in the (lower) middle. It seems like if you sit right in the pit you may be too close and miss some of the action above your head. In the middle you could see all of it going on at the same time. You are looking up, sideways, straight ahead, and down. The speakers in the chairs were awesome. I was sort of expecting some live music since last time I saw a Cirque show they had live music, but everything in LOVE is original recorded Beatles music. I liked that they used sound bites from the Anthology (like John saying "Sugar plum fairy sugar plum fairy" to set the beat for A Day in the Life) and not just the stuff off of the regular LPs. I cried and cried for almost every song. I guess I'm too sappy and emotional :P But this isn't a tearjerker show, I'm just a sap. I don't want to anything away, but there was something special about each production number. I tried to stay away from all reviews before seeing it. The gift shop is great. You should definitely come early and go to the gift shop. The one thing I didn't do was go buy the theme drinks at the bar. Next time! At the end of the show when the lights came back up I overheard people wanting to come back for the 10:30 show later that night. Everyone around me absolutely loved it. I had a few criticisms but they were more like pet peeves. For instance, when they showed the shadow/silhouette Beatles, Ringo had a small nose. What was up with that?

Tonight my husband and I saw the Classical Mystery Tour group perform with the Pacific Symphony in Irvine Meadows/Verizon Amphitheatre. It was fun but The Fab Four can probably rock their socks off. I loved hearing the orchestra play the original orchestration, but the Beatles group was lacking just a little something. These guys were good, but the Paul person didn't even learn how to play left handed bass like the awesome Fab Four Paul. Also the Classical Mystery Tour Paul sounded more like Paul now (old & vibratoey), not the young Paul. The John guy was awesome except he sounded more like young John (but not as extreme as the Paul) and George sounded great, but he only sang one. Would have liked to hear more from their George. Their Ringo was passable :P This show was nothing compared to LOVE!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'New' Beatles Album to be Released

Producer George Martin remixes songs used for the Cirque du Soleil show, "Love."
    From Reuters
    October 3, 2006

A "new" album of Beatles music mixed by their legendary producer George Martin and described as a new "way of reliving the whole Beatles musical lifespan", will be released in November.

EMI Music and Apple Corps Ltd. said on Tuesday that Martin and his son Giles began work on the album, called "Love", after getting permission from Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison representing John Lennon and George Harrison.

The music has already been used as the soundtrack to the theatrical Cirque du Soleil show called "Love".

"This music was designed for the Love show in Las Vegas but in doing so we've created a new Beatles album," George Martin said in a statement.

"The Beatles always looked for other ways of expressing themselves and this is another step forward for them.

"What people will be hearing on the album is a new experience, a way of re-living the whole Beatles musical lifespan in a very condensed period."

The Martins worked from the original master tapes from the Abbey Road studios to produce a medley of Beatles music by remixing favorite songs, such as Harrison's "Within You Without You" being played to the drum-track of "Tomorrow Never Knows."

EMI Music, part of EMI Group Plc, and Apple Corps Ltd., the English company that administers The Beatles' interests, said the album would be released worldwide in November. Additional information such as the track listing will be released later.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast