The Sequel Is Out There

A new ''X-Files'' movie?!? Exec producer Frank Spotnitz tells Michelle Kung about the big-screen resurrection of Mulder and Scully

THE CINEPLEX FILES? Producer Spotnitz says
a feature film may pick up the story of what happened
to Mulder and Scully

''Creepy'' and ''disturbing'' aren't your typical compliments, but for any TV series executive-produced by Frank Spotnitz, both are high praise. The former X-Files producer and staff writer (not to mention ex-EW contributor) chatted with EW about a possible cinematic resurrection of Mulder and Scully, plus finding closure for his canceled (and new-to-DVD) series Night Stalker.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So... what can you tell us about the second X-Files movie?
FRANK SPOTNITZ: My deal has been done for almost two years. Actually, I think I was the first one to close the deal, and it took some time for David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and Chris Carter to close their deals as well. And now, there are these legal issues that have emerged between Chris and [20th Century Fox] over the television series. I don't know exactly what those issues are and when and if they will be resolved, but I don't think the movie can go forth until they are.
Have you guys mapped out the plot yet?
Yeah, we went in and pitched the story a year and a half ago. We've worked out most of it. We haven't written a script yet, but we're ready to go if and when.
But no conspiracy stuff, right?
Yeah, I think that was one of the big appeals of doing a movie to not be constrained by the mythology. Nine years was a long time to stretch out the mythology of the series, and the first movie had to deal with it because it was sandwiched between two seasons of the TV show. It will catch up to the characters where they are now. We'll address whatever period of time has elapsed between the end of the series and the current moment.
Does that include disclosing the whereabouts of Mulder and Scully's baby?
Well, the way it was left at the very end was that they had just given up the child and they were fugitives from the FBI, so we'll have to address where they're living and whether they're still in a fugitive state.
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1197815_1_0_,00.html