• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Blade Runner: Final Cut' 25th Anniversary 9/2007

Marathon 'Runner' is Coming
    Source: Variety
    May 26, 2006

Warner Home Video has disentangled the rights issues for Blade Runner to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to Blade Runner lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The film, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The trade adds that the restored "Director's Cut" will debut on home video in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium.

"Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

http://www.variety.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: 'Blade Runner: Final Cut' 25th Anniversary 9/2007

This Interests me. Blade Runner, the 1992 cut, is probably one of the very best sci-fi films ever made. It is visually stunning and metaphorically brilliant. My favorite scene is when the replicant goes to the creator to ask for more life. Isn't that what we all wish we could ask for?

I just hope Scott doesn't get all Lucas on it and screw with what already works.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Agreed FB, it's a true, true classic. After his 'Alien' this was truly a huge contribution to the genre.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I truly love Blade Runner, but it's worse than The Stones when marketing this film. How many times has this been re-released (not that I'm complaining) and repackaged (slight gripe)? Director's Cut, extended Director's Cut, International Director's Cut, with narration, without narration, etc etc etc.

Now if only Wim Wender's international Director's Cut of Until the End of the World were released in the states.

Thanks for the post, D.!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Agreed FB, it's a true, true classic. After his 'Alien' this was truly a huge contribution to the genre.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Now if only Wim Wender's international Director's Cut of Until the End of the World were released in the states.
    Fingers crossed, thanks!

• My prices are INSANE!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"

I love this film, and it's good to hear that its finally getting a much needed re-release on DVD.

Bravo.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    I'm tempted to get the European version but I don't have an all region player.

I saw the full cut at the Egyptain Theater back in, I think 2000. It was 6 hours long, but made so much more sense. Wim Wenders was there and did a Q&A after the film. He said that Warners was giving him problems with a U.S. release.

I too hope that Warners will do right and release this great film as well.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    This Interests me. Blade Runner, the 1992 cut, is probably one of the very best sci-fi films ever made. It is visually stunning and metaphorically brilliant. My favorite scene is when the replicant goes to the creator to ask for more life. Isn't that what we all wish we could ask for?

I just hope Scott doesn't get all Lucas on it and screw with what already works.
    I agree. Still looks stunning. Scott and his creative team give you a Los Angeles that could still very well be (wonder how they'd feel about taking on Tomorrowland). My personal fave scene is Roy's final battle and death. Gets me every time.

Agree on the no Lucas/Star Wars debacles...please.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM