Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Albums/CDs

• Winter in Oceanside...

Live Albums/CDs

I have never been a fan of live albums. Yes, I guess you hear the "real" artist, but I just like the way non-live albums sound. Do you like live albums? If so, why?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Live Albums/CDs

I agree. But then I bought Green Days "Bullet in a Bible" and got use to the screaming audience, heck sometimes I forget that there is even an audience

I think people like the "Live" CD's because it makes them feel as if they are part of the concert.

• Huh?

I love live CDs when they include stuff that they'd never record... and Weird Al bootlegs are the best bootlegs ever!
    -Tim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I like live albums.

My only beef is how some acts sound really good on a studio album but are awful live. I guess some acts just don't translate well from studio to stage.

But then there's the pleasant surprise of the bands that aren't that great recorded but sound pretty good live.

Go fig.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I agree. But then I bought Green Days "Bullet in a Bible" and got use to the screaming audience, heck sometimes I forget that there is even an audience

I think people like the "Live" CD's because it makes them feel as if they are part of the concert.
    Bullet in a Bible is also a documentary/concert DVD, so it doesn't count as a live CD (although it does include a bonus CD of the concert). I also have The Complex Rock Tour. I don't care, I like both, as sometimes artists riff and have fun with the live versions of their songs (watch Bullet, they go from King for a Day to Shout to Monty Python, back to Shout, then back to King for a Day)
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I have never been a fan of live albums. Yes, I guess you hear the "real" artist, but I just like the way non-live albums sound. Do you like live albums? If so, why?
    It depends on the recording. Oingo Boingo's Boingo Alive and Queensryche's Operation Livecrime are two of my all time favorite albums.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Senior Minion

Personally, i'm not crazy about live albums, unless it's new songs. Most of the time, live songs don't sound nearly as good as they do recorded.

Exception: The Corrs - Live In Dublin
    Most are new songs (cover songs) and as they never sing them other than on that cd, I like them, even more so because they sound good singing with Bono. I just wish it was on dvd. It was aired once on tv, and that's it. The cd is hard to find now, so i'm glad I have it.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

I usually love live albums, but it can depend on the band. Artists like Bruce Springsteen, The Who and Led Zeppelin were amazing live, but most modern artists don't jam as much so they're often better on the studio albums.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Lip Syncing is better with live albums. It makes it feel like there's a crowd.

Yeah I said it.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Gay Man

Not a fan of Live albums in general but Talking Heads do a great live album and David Bowie's Stage is on of the best live albums I've ever heard.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I sometimes find bootlegs that have better recordings than "official" live albums.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble here, but I know for a fact that in the past, at least, "official" live album recordings are "corrected" and "sweetened" to at least some extent before they are released, to make them sound as good as possible...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Do You Wanna Get Rocked?

Blog Entries

I love AC/DC live! I also love Def Leppard live from Sheffield!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I love them, as long as they're done right... where you can't hear the audience screming throughour or singing EVERY line.

Marc Broussard is a great example of this - he sells a live recording of every (or almost every) show. They duplicate them then and there so you go home with a copy of that night's show. And they do a great business. and it sounds great.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For You!

Hate them - I hate hearing the audience yell out or applaud at the end.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast