Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

X-Men 3: The Last Stand - My review - *** SPOILERS!!! ***

I'm putting this entire post in a Spoiler Box, just in case someone clicks on this without realizing there are spoilers. So all of you have been warned - if you read something you didn't want to know about - it's your fault. Not mine.

*** SPOILERS! ***

Spoiler

I've been an X-Men fan ever since the Saturday morning cartoons started airing. At the time I was too young and not patient enough to sit down and read my brother's X-Men comic books, not that he would have let me anyway - he wouldn't want me to damage any of them! So anyway, keep in mind this review is coming from someone who only knows the X-Men lore from the Saturday morning cartoons and some information learned from my brother here and there.

With that said, I loved the movie. I'm not saying I don't have immense issues with a lot of stuff that happened, but nevertheless, I loved it.

X-Men was a good first film. I really didn't like any of the villians except for Magneto and I was bored with a lot of the character introductions and other info like that because for the most part, I knew all of the characters. But in all, it was pretty decent.

X2: X-Men United, on the other hand, blew me away. I thought it was immensely better than X1 and left me craving X3 ASAP.

X-Men 3: The Last Stand left me content. Not overly pleased, but content.

I think X2 is the best film of the trilogy, but X3 certainly surpasses X1 by leaps and bounds. Anyway.. here's what I loved and didn't love.

I really liked this movie. Dark Pheonix was amazing. For the life of me, I cannot remember how her powers were protrayed in the Saturday morning cartoon, but the film's interpretations of her and her powers was incredible. I absolutely loved it. Kelsey Grammer did an amazing job as Beast. His voice is ABSOLUTELY perfect for the role of Beast and the makeup and hair - Perfectly done! I was disappointed that he had a very limited role as an X-Man, but was happy that he was there and still totally owned. I'm glad that he, Xavier, and the other X-Men go back instead of him being a new character to everybody.

...The Danger Room. OH. MY. GOD!!! Enough said... and... the Sentinel in the Danger Room. OH. MY. GOD!!! Enough said.

My main gripe with this movie, and the other two X-Men movies is the portrayal of Rogue. Ever since these movies first came out I've always had a problem with the way they've handled Rogue. She isn't a little kid, she's a tough lady and to make her a mere shadow of her self is insulting. In an episode of the Saturday morning cartoon, Rogue does go to get a new cure, but in the end she ditches the idea because its discovered that it isn't a cure and more like an experiment on further mutating the mutants. I absolutely HATE that Rogue went through with the cure. What happens to her stealing another mutant's power to fly, and why doesn't she get her superhuman strength? This film would have been the PERFECT opportunity for her to kill off a couple mutants by absorbing all of their energy and gaining her flying and strength abilities. What a waste!

What I did like is how they tied Angel into the movie dealing with the cure, which is where he's introduced to us in the Saturday morning cartoon. In the cartoon he becomes Archangel be getting the "cure." Although in the film Angel doesn't get the cure, its a nice nod to throw him in there with the whole "cure" thing. I despised his extremely under-developed and otherwise unimportant character in the film. They could have totally left him out of the movie and it would not have mattered at all. But instead they set him up in a prologue sequence in the beginning of the film and then they pretty much stop developing his character there. What's up with that?! And the absolutely unnecessary shot of Angel flying around near the end of the film - what. the. f?! ugh.

I loved that Iceman finally became a full-body iced up Iceman during the end battle. Now what happened to his ability to surf through the air on his ice?

I definately thought the look of this film was immensely superior to the look and feel and special effects of the first two. The way they made Magneto and Xavier look younger in the beginning - amazing! The special effects thoughout were absolutely INCREDIBLE. Perfect!

The pace of the film also irritated me. It felt like all the way through we were perpetually stuck in the beginning of the movie. The plot just kind of stretched itself until the big finale. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed very strangely put together/written/whatever. It kept me interested, but for some reason the whole way through I was wondering when it was going to actually going to pick up the pace. X2 was amazing because it was action-packed but still had a strong villain. To me, it felt like Angel's dad was an extremely watered down version of Stryker from X2: Parent struggling with "different" son, uses son as an experiment to fix the mutant problem. Meh.

I was annoyed that they didn't really have a definite villian in this one. Was it the government, was it Magneto, was it Leech, was it the pharmaceutical company? Who knows.

Storm - I don't like Halle Berry but she's did a great job. And to see storm actually fly, finally- it's about time!

Pyro. Ugh. Annoying as hell. I don't even want to think about him.

Mystique. Wow, so sad, but I like how she turned the tables on Magneto.

Cyclops. Its upsetting to me they killed him off. Stupid James Marsden not having the time to participate fully in X3, thus the filmmakers having to kill him off. Even though he's annoying and a crybaby, he's still the #2 X-Man. Killing him off is almost as blasphemous as killing off Xavier... oh wait.. they did kill off Xavier.

Xavier - So sad that he's gone. ...Oh wait... he's not ;-)
    I'm curious to see if they make an X4 how they will explain how he isn't dead!

Magneto - Ian McKellen = Amazing. And the fact that he's so powerful that four doses of the "cure" couldn't fix him good, well.. damn.

In all, I really really did like this movie. I can get passed the fact that character relationships aren't like they have always been in the comic books or Saturday morning cartoons... but I can't get over Rogue getting the cure. It's just absurd. What a waste of such a great, great character.

Anyway.. I highly recommend this movie for the summer. Although a lot of stuff is different than how it should be, its still a great movie and somehow it all works as a pretty decent movie. It's good stuff, maybe not as good as X2, but still pretty darn good. I'm going to be going to see it again when my friend gets back in town

I'm sure I left out stuff I meant to mention, but for the most part, I think I covered everything.

Anyway - what do you guys think of the film?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Re: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - My review - *** SPOILERS!!! ***

go here for the backstory on all he characters in xmen. You can learn why rouge no longer has super strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Here's my review. It was decent, entertaining summer fluff. The new angel guy is nice to look at but isnt shirtless as much as I would have liked. And then there was that guy that turns to metal. He's cute in that sort of football player way that I enjoy but they need to have had him shirtless at least once. Then of course there's Hugh Jackman. Shirtless, for maybe 2 minutes at the end of the movie. HELLO!!!!

• Practically Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Then of course there's Hugh Jackman. Shirtless, for maybe 2 minutes at the end of the movie. HELLO!!!!
    Spoiler
    notice how his pants somehow managed to stay on at the end...his shirt got completely ripped off, but his pants maybe had a hole or two. My friends and I were very disappointed

• Sock Puppet

As an avid X-Men fan from my youth, this movie insulted me. Unnecesary deaths, unnecesary new characters that could have easily been replaced by a Gambit appearance, one character (Colossus) who had one line of dialogue and pretty much just acted like scenery when his character should have been developed a little bit if he were to be part of the final battle (He didn't have a lot of lines because he couldn't act). Despite great performances by Jackman, Stewart, Mckellen, and Grammar this movie killed the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    As an avid X-Men fan from my youth, this movie insulted me. Unnecesary deaths, unnecesary new characters that could have easily been replaced by a Gambit appearance, one character (Colossus) who had one line of dialogue and pretty much just acted like scenery when his character should have been developed a little bit if he were to be part of the final battle (He didn't have a lot of lines because he couldn't act). Despite great performances by Jackman, Stewart, Mckellen, and Grammar this movie killed the franchise.

I can't say this was a bad movie but it was far from great. Just so-so summer fluff really. When it comes to the deaths, all of the characters that died in this movie have all died at least once in the comics, so the deaths really didn't bother me all that much. In fact one of the characters has died multiple times and has been dead for the last couple of years.

The movie should have been longer to throw some more character development in. It wasa like they kept showing characters just to say "Look we have this person and this person and this person...." although most of the people they did that with had different powers then they are supposed to. Callisto has super speed? Psylocke has chamelon powers?

In the end these "X-men" should have jus been called "Wolverine featuring some of the X-men!", but then again I do not like wolverine all tha much.

And every keeps asking for Gambut, why? Gambit and Wolverine are the Paris Hiltons of the comic book world. Famous for being famous. There is nothing more to PAris or the xmen.

One more thing... the male characters had their shirts off way too much. Why would they want to show a shirtless guy anyways?

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Because Rebecca Romaijn Stamos is running around blue and naked (save for prosthetics) for her part in the movie?

Spoiler
    And then, of course, the part after the cure when she is no longer blue but still naked

I think this movie could have been a little bit longer, but I didn't mind all these "appearances". I mean, after all, having to independently develop EACH character that ended up with Magneto would have been a bad idea. His little resistance force didn't need hundreds of individuals, it needed a collective unit to do some neat looking stuff and then get owned.

I never read the comics and I can't remember too much of the show, but I was very pleased with what I got for my $8. More time would have DEFINITELY been helpful. I think, unfortunately, this and all comic book related movies are set-up to disappoint those people. I don't ever foresee a comic book movie going too long over 2 and a half hours, and regardless of what series, that is simply too little time to allow for being able to get everything accurate. Especially with really involved storylines. For example, Spiderman 3. Last I heard, that movie is going to have Venom as one of the villains. From what I've heard, the Venom backstory ALONE could fill at least that much time, if not more.

• Earth Intruder

I saw this movie last night with my cousins and was disappointed over all. Probably because the first two (especially the second movie) were AMAZINGLY good.

Killing off the characters they did totally cheaped the emotional effects of the first two movies for me -- kind of similar to Alien 3, when they killed off everyone that survived the second movie. Now go back and watch Aliens. Knowing that Newt and Hicks are gonna die anyway, makes you go "oh whatever" to their rescue.

ANYWAY, back to X-men. There are too many damn Xmen that they tried to cram into this movie. There were 8 plots going on at one time, and no focus whatsoever.

I mean, make the movie be ABOUT something. The first two movies had an overarching plot. How bout they make it about Dark Phoenix? That would have been a cool storyline. (I do like the idea about the "cure" but they executed it terribly, diluting it with too many new characters and side plots).

The effects were amazing though. And that Angel is freekin beautiful (he had no real character tho, and sort of a lame plot point to rescue his dad? To cause Storm to want to keep the school open? WTF? Talk about a non-dimensional character).

I liked how they de-aged Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Boy do I love Ian McKellan. I'm not sure I'd sleep with him, but I wouldn't dismiss it outright.

OK and Patrick Stewart -- I had thought this man could say anything, no matter how hokey, and have it come out alright because of his acting ability (sort of like Vincent Price).... until this movie comes along.

The whole theatre was CRACKING UP when he gave that idiotic line about Jean Gray being "wrapped in a telekinetic cocoon" or some BS like that.

The writing was HORRIBLE for the most part.. the one liners were lame, lame, lame. It is becoming Batman 3&4 - a parody of its own self.

So yes, mindless summer fun. The first two Xmen were such a large cut above mindless, that this one is a mega disappointment.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I saw this movie last night with my cousins and was disappointed over all. Probably because the first two (especially the second movie) were AMAZINGLY good.

Killing off the characters they did totally cheaped the emotional effects of the first two movies for me -- kind of similar to Alien 3, when they killed off everyone that survived the second movie. Now go back and watch Aliens. Knowing that Newt and Hicks are gonna die anyway, makes you go "oh whatever" to their rescue.

ANYWAY, back to X-men. There are too many damn Xmen that they tried to cram into this movie. There were 8 plots going on at one time, and no focus whatsoever.

I mean, make the movie be ABOUT something. The first two movies had an overarching plot. How bout they make it about Dark Phoenix? That would have been a cool storyline. (I do like the idea about the "cure" but they executed it terribly, diluting it with too many new characters and side plots).

The effects were amazing though. And that Angel is freekin beautiful (he had no real character tho, and sort of a lame plot point to rescue his dad? To cause Storm to want to keep the school open? WTF? Talk about a non-dimensional character).

I liked how they de-aged Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Boy do I love Ian McKellan. I'm not sure I'd sleep with him, but I wouldn't dismiss it outright.

OK and Patrick Stewart -- I had thought this man could say anything, no matter how hokey, and have it come out alright because of his acting ability (sort of like Vincent Price).... until this movie comes along.

The whole theatre was CRACKING UP when he gave that idiotic line about Jean Gray being "wrapped in a telekinetic cocoon" or some BS like that.

The writing was HORRIBLE for the most part.. the one liners were lame, lame, lame. It is becoming Batman 3&4 - a parody of its own self.

So yes, mindless summer fun. The first two Xmen were such a large cut above mindless, that this one is a mega disappointment.

I completely agree with your comments on Angel. Like I said in my review, they set up his character in the prologue sequence ...but in the end he was entirely unnecessary. Ridiculously underdeveloped. Lame, lame, lame. And his end-of-movie fly-by. Oh my god. It reminded me Harry Potter when he's on his world-tour on the back of the hippogriff. Waste of time and effort and ridiculously cheesy.

I also agree with your comments on Xaviers' description of Jean Grey's survival. It was unnecessary. The end of the second movie (the fire in her eyes and her voice over at the end, not to mention the image of the Pheonix in the water) implied she was gonna survive. And then when she's alive in X3, well, she survived apparently because her powers were so great. It didn't need to be explained, especially by calling it a telekennetic cuccoon. Give me a break.

...I disagree to everybody who says Gambit should have been in the movies. He'd be cool to see and all, but a relatively useless addition. I agree that way too many mutants were introduced and too many of them left underdeveloped. I agree that the movie had too many subplots and not a strong enough focus... And I totally hate that Rogue got "the cure" and is a lame duck now... But let's hope that "the cure" is only temporary - which it seems like it most likely is by what Magneto was able to do at the end of the film! But in the end, I can't deny that I had a wicked good time and I do plan on seeing it again..

And the scene at the end of the credits - Wow.

I totally love how they left it open for X4. Lets hope that they decide to make it someday and Bryan Singer comes back to direct.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I also agree with your comments on Xaviers' description of Jean Grey's survival. It was unnecessary. The end of the second movie (the fire in her eyes and her voice over at the end, not to mention the image of the Pheonix in the water) implied she was gonna survive. And then when she's alive in X3, well, she survived apparently because her powers were so great. It didn't need to be explained, especially by calling it a telekennetic cuccoon. Give me a break.
    My big issue with this is that Pheonix was never Jean Grey. Jean was placed into a telekenetik cocoon by the Phoenix when "it" took over the image of Jean Grey. Jean remained at the bottom of the ocean for years, long after the Pheonix force became unstable and eventually committed suicide during a battle with the Shi'ar Guard. The Pheonix "entity" was the one with the unstable split personality. Jean was always a powerful mutant, but never had the issues about being to powerful the Prof X would have to put blocks in place. Just nonsence in the film. And unfortunatly with all the inconsistances in the films, they've painted themselves into a corner.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Well, with both the independent Magneto AND Wolverine spin-off movies (from what I've heard), I'm not sure they're too concerned with anything after X-Men 3.

I agree. Angel was never fully developed (considering he was in the begining, they should of used him a lot more) and was I the only one who noticed that you never actually see or hear Jean say Cyclops died. Possibly greatly hurt?!

I don't understand the end.......Ok, Prof. X is alive.....and who was the nurse? It sounded liked he called her "Morrah"??? I probably didn't hear it right, but still, have no idea who that is. And, was he in a hospital or what?

Yes, the one-liners were crap. Oh god, they sucked

Also, wasn't Juggernaut, Prof. X's brother?

Oh wow! I just found out what it was all about.

For all who want to know:

Earlier in the film you see the Prof. showing a video of a brain-dead man with working organs and he asked the students if they thought it would be ok to transfer a father's mental form into the man's body to save his life. Well, guess what the Prof did when his body was distroyed by Dark Pheonix? Ha!

And apparently, from what I've read, the nurse is an old sweet heart of the proffesor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast