'X-Men' Has 4th-Biggest Opening in History

'X-Men' Has 4th-Biggest Opening in History

May 29, 8:15 AM (ET)

By CHRISTINA ALMEIDA

(AP) Halle Berry, Storm in the "X-Men" film trilogy, waves to the audience of the NBC "Today"...
    Full Image

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "X-Men: The Last Stand" stormed to an estimated $107 million three-day opening, the largest ever for Memorial Day weekend and the fourth-biggest in box office history.
    Preliminary estimates were released Sunday for the third installment of the series featuring a cast of mutants with names like Storm (Halle Berry), Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and Mystique (Rebecca Romijn).
    The 20th Century Fox film opened in 3,690 theaters and grossed a whopping $28,997 per theater.
    "People had such a huge awareness of the movie that it just translated into these huge numbers," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.
    The film benefited from a huge base of fans who had seen the first two "X-Men" films, plus great marketing and solid reviews, Dergarabedian said.
    "This is what the summer is all about," he said, adding the box office has rebounded well since last year's slump. "With 'Da Vinci Code' doing better than anticipated ... we could not be in a better position."
    Estimates for "The Da Vinci Code" over the start of the holiday weekend were not immediately available. That film, starring Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard, had a solid $77 million opener last weekend.
    On the all-time list, "X-Men: The Last Stand" ranks behind only "Spider-Man,""Star Wars: Episode III" and "Shrek 2" for opening weekend gross. None of the other films opened on a holiday weekend, which usually gives movies a boost.
    For Memorial Day openers, "X-Men" crushed the previous three-day high of $72 million, set by "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" in 1997. Estimates for all films were expected Monday, with final figures scheduled for Tuesday.

My wife and I saw it last night and thought it was great.

A little advice, though, for those who have not seen it yet. Sit through the credits. There is an additional scene that may be very telling.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: 'X-Men' Has 4th-Biggest Opening in History

Nice.

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    A little advice, though, for those who have not seen it yet. Sit through the credits. There is an additional scene that may be very telling.
    I did. The theatre didn't show it!!!!! The cleaning crew was kind enough to tell us what the scene was. It looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD to see the last scene.

I was doing a bit of searching on IMDB. The Wolverine spin off is not new but I was surprised to see there is going to be a Magneto spin off. It centers around a younger Magneto and the "mark" on his arm.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    I was doing a bit of searching on IMDB. The Wolverine spin off is not new but I was surprised to see there is going to be a Magneto spin off. It centers around a younger Magneto and the "mark" on his arm.
    Believe it or not, after seeing the way they did the younger versions of Xavier and Magneto in X-3, Sir Ian has made comments to press about the possiility of still playing the role in the spinoff. The effect worked for one scene in a larger film, but I'm not sure I want to watch an entire movie with it's star de-aged that way. I love McKellan, just not sure I want what is basically a cg version of him on screen for a full 90 minutes or more.

• Reaver of Souls

I saw two movies this prvious weekend - X3 and DaVinci. Neither one thrilled me. X3 had so much potential. So many fantastic possibilities that were dashed by changing directorial hands and ego. I was hoping for so much more. DaVinci simply couldn't stand up to the book. The book was a gripping tale, full of mystery and intrigue. The book showed our characters actually having to work and learn to progress on their quest. The movie, as long as it was, simply couldn't portay that. So here we have a 2000 year old mystery solved by a guy in two and a half hours. Just not enough time to make it plausable...

I'm so looking forward to Pirates and Superman. Hopefully I won't be nearly as disappointed in those two...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.