Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Michael Moore and Miramax Films named in Iraq vet's suit - USA TODAY 5/31/06

Iraq veteran sues Moore over 9/11 film
    Posted 5/31/2006 7:35 PM ET
    USA TODAY

By John L. Russell, AP
    Filmmaker Michael Moore is being sued for $85 million by Iraq veteran Peter Damon, who alleges that Moore used parts of a television interview with Damon without permission.

BOSTON (AP) — A veteran who lost both arms in the war in Iraq is suing filmmaker Michael Moore for $85 million, alleging that Moore used snippets of a television interview without his permission to falsely portray him as anti-war in Fahrenheit 9/11.

Sgt. Peter Damon, a National Guardsman from Middleborough, is asking for damages because of "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation," according to the lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week.

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's Nightly News.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...-lawsuit_x.htm
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-01-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: cap

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: Michael Moore and Miramax films named in Iraq vet's suit - USA TODAY 5/31/06

Anyone find it funny they find the best photo to use when it's good press, then the worst photo for bad press? HEY LOOK, we found the Yeti!

Anyway, this came out a little late, don't you think? I wonder how this goes, this might go far, but I don't think he'll get anywhere near $85 million, probably around $5 million.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Drunk On Disney

Re: Michael Moore and Miramax films named in Iraq vet's suit - USA TODAY 5/31/06

After I saw Farenheit 911, I saw a film called Farenhype 911. Sgt. Peter Damon was interviewed in that and said basically the same thing he says in the article.

I had heard that he filed the lawsuit now becuase he has given up on his original quest to have Moore apologize and remove the clip from the film.

I do feel for him. Imagine having an interview you did with CNN edited out of context and placed into a big money making film AND one that you disagree with!

As for what Testtrack321 said
    Anyone find it funny they find the best photo to use when it's good press, then the worst photo for bad press?
    I see this practice in the press alot. However, on the subject of Michael Moore, I am sure even he would admit that he doesn't photograph well.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• I'm your huckleberry.

I just wonder why it took this long to file suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• insufferable know-it-all

I hope he wins.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    Anyway, this came out a little late, don't you think? I wonder how this goes, this might go far, but I don't think he'll get anywhere near $85 million, probably around $5 million.
    It usually takes so long because they have to find evidence of this accusation and they need to build it up so they can have a case .

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I hope he wins.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie
    After I saw Farenheit 911, I saw a film called Farenhype 911. Sgt. Peter Damon was interviewed in that and said basically the same thing he says in the article.
    I was shocked after seeing Fahrenhype 9/11. I couldn't believe how far Michael Moore went to push his agenda. Never looked at him the same again.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I was shocked after seeing Fahrenhype 9/11. I couldn't believe how far Michael Moore went to push his agenda. Never looked at him the same again.
    You might be interested in another Michael Moore exposé, "Michael Moore Hates America." A bit of a misleading title... but still. Another reason to not like him.

Personally, I never did like Moore. It doesn't take much to know there's a lot of editing going on to prove points...

I should see both of the Moore exposés sometime...
    -Tim

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    You might be interested in another Michael Moore exposé, "Michael Moore Hates America." A bit of a misleading title... but still. Another reason to not like him.

Personally, I never did like Moore. It doesn't take much to know there's a lot of editing going on to prove points...

I should see both of the Moore exposés sometime...
    I saw a Daily Show segment about that. Funny thing is he never talked to Moore because he could never be found, but ironically ever shot outside in NYC featured a shot of Moore just standing there.

Anyway, I saw F9/11 too and I didn't like it one bit, but I still respect the guy just because of Rodger & Me.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Wow na! Such anger! MM must be doing something right.
    Tref ...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Not sure why this is in the News Section, which last time I checked was for...

Disney and Industry News Links
    Doesn't this belong in the Entertainment or Lounge sections?
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Not sure why this is in the News Section, which last time I checked was for...

Doesn't this belong in the Entertainment or Lounge sections?
    Miramax is owned by Disney.
    -Tim

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Didn't Miramax/Disney decide to NOT distribute this film....

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/articl...parentid=11133

Miramax Films chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein plan to buy back Michel Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11 - which the Walt Disney Co blocked Miramax from releasing - and distribute it themselves.
    Under the deal, the brothers, who have a thorny relationship with parent company Disney, would not be able to distribute the movie through Miramax. They would have to find a third party company.
    Moore's film criticises US President George W Bush's handling of the September 11 terrorist attacks and connects the Bush family with Osama bin Laden's.
    Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said last week that the company "did not want a film in the middle of the political process" because he believed that theme park and entertainment consumers "do not look for us to take sides".
    Miramax co-founder Harvey Weinstein spent about $US6 million ($A8.6 million) on the film. He and his brother would have to repay Disney for the investment, and would likely insist on a deal that cuts Disney out of any future profits.
    A similar deal was worked out in 1999 when Disney forced Miramax to give up filmmaker Kevin Smith's Dogma, which took an irreverent approach to Catholicism with modern prophets, angels and apostles in a bid to stop the end of the world. Lions Gate Films eventually picked up Dogma.
    "We're very happy that Disney has agreed to sell Fahrenheit 9/11 to Bob and Harvey," Miramax said in a statement. "Bob and Harvey look forward to promptly completing this transaction."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenh...11_controversy

One month later, the major rights to the film reverted completely to Lions Gate Films, which in partnership with the Weinstein's newly-formed company Fellowship Adventure Group (which handled its home video distribution via Columbia/Tri-Star Home Entertainment) and IFC Films acquired the film for domestic theatrical distribution, beating out other studios such as Fox Searchlight and United Artists. Furthermore, a settlement was reached so that any profits from the film's distribution that go to Miramax or Disney would be donated to charity. The Weinsteins repaid their parent company for all costs of the film to that point, estimated at around $6 million. They also agreed to be responsible for all costs to finish the film and all marketing costs not paid by any third-party film distributors. Moore called the deal a "fair and equitable solution" and added that he was "grateful to them now that everyone who wants to see it will now have the chance to do so."

And let me say, the reason I asked is due to the first question in the MiceChat FAQ....

http://www.micechat.com/forums/faq.php?faq=mcrr

MiceChat is an entertainment centered board. While any subject may be discussed in our various community lounges, we discourage the discussion of politics and religion. Threads which turn to these two topics or become in other ways heated will be moved to the Litter Box (and are also subject to being closed).
    This thread (the News Section) has a direct link to the MiceAge main page, and IMHO, is to talk about Disney, or Theme Park related news.

Of course, other sections of MiceChat do talk about politics, in MiceChat Gold, there is a special section designed for political talk, but folks KNOW they are going to see political debate before they enter. As I said, I am not sure it belongs here, but instead, should be moved to a different section of the board. No need to close the thread, or stop the discussion (In fact, I hope the vet can force Michael Moore to stop doing things like the severe editing of someone without permission, since the film, IMHO is entertainment and NOT a documentary).
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 06-01-2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Minor spelling fixes
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Minion

Exactly this film is a Weinstien Co property...

Someone needs to move this someplace else... DQ?
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast