Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• time to go

Layoffs expected at Disney this summer

Thanks to the posters at that "fabulous" discussion board site for the link:

http://www.dailynews.com/business/ci_3881544

<<BURBANK - Walt Disney Studios is expected to lay off as many as 10 percent of its employees this summer as part of cost-cutting connected to the recent purchase of Pixar Animated Studios, according to published reports and studio sources.

The Pixar deal resulted in the longtime Disney movie supplier merging with Disney's existing animation division, causing some job replication.

The studio's spokeswoman, Heidi Trada, declined Tuesday to confirm any impending layoffs, saying only, "We are constantly evaluating our business to make it better and more efficient."

The New York Times reported that the layoffs are likely to be 5 percent of the staff but could climb as high as 10 percent once a review of the studio's operations is complete. Sources said Tuesday the cutbacks are expected to affect all units at the studio.>>

(The remainder of the article can be found at the link above.)

I wonder if Imagineering will also get hit?

And notice the timing of this layoff? The Lasseter family will be off on vacation throughout the entire month of August.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Layoffs expected at Disney this summer

No surprise. That's business for ya.

• Minion

At that low of a percentage, I doubt that I would call it "cost cutting"

It is likely more for integration/restructuring, cost cutting being a net benifit...

If it was a cost cutting move it would be somewhere around 15 - 25 % tied to a specific number and tied to a specific date...
    Check out my other blog:

• Creative Director

doesn't sound like WDI- just the Studio division. I hate to see people lose their jobs, well, the ones that actually did well at them. though, the whole studio division of the company seems to be in need of a major restructuring, which I think I read will be happening.

• The one, the only...

What does not make sense to me is that Iger has announced that he wants twice the animation production now that Pixar is part of the family. How can Pixar alone produce twice as many animated films with the same staff? The choices are to hire people at Pixar or deligate the pictures to the current Burbank staff. I guess there is one more option, reduce picture quality. Lasseter has stated that he did not want that to happen. So, I really don't know how Disney can meet its animation production schedule with fewer staff.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• insufferable know-it-all

Anytime there's a merger, no matter what claims they make to keep you on board through the merger process, SOMEONE is losing their job. Period.

Perhaps the park can hire them from corporate (snicker)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    What does not make sense to me is that Iger has announced that he wants twice the animation production now that Pixar is part of the family. How can Pixar alone produce twice as many animated films with the same staff? The choices are to hire people at Pixar or deligate the pictures to the current Burbank staff. I guess there is one more option, reduce picture quality. Lasseter has stated that he did not want that to happen. So, I really don't know how Disney can meet its animation production schedule with fewer staff.
    Disney is not getting rid of their Burbank studio for feature animation, by no means. The overall studio division is getting a retructuring from all standpoints- creative, business, the staff, etc. As for WDFA- John Lassiter and Ed Catmull are going to make cuts where they see fit- for the most part I have been hearing they are trying to cut out a lot of the 'creative executive' types and business types with really no need of being there (or so I hear). Some artists may get the boot too, but for probably a real legit reason rather than just we don't want you anymore. that could still happen, but I don't think that is where they want to go with this at WDFA.
    as animation output- Iger wants one Disney Feature (burbank) and one Disney*Pixar (emeryville) film a year- two all together. we'll see if it works.
    Pixar is not replacing Disney feature animation burbank though.

• Banned User

those"exes" that actually don't do the work need to go. most are eisner holdovers. any time new people take over there is a sort of housecleaning. Iger has been doing that for some time now. he has just gotten to the movie divisions and now lassitter can decide who he wants in what spots. about 5 years ago the chairman of the board and president were replaced at my husband's company and during that following year, almost all the upper management was either early retired or encouraged to leave. those that didn't got their departments taken from them and were given new titles with obscure responsibilities. I am sure that iger is putting people he can trust in responsible positions and slowly getting rid of those he feels won't fit into his vision of disney. of course disney is a huge company and it takes time to do all that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I don't think losing 10% of the staff would really hold back Disney from making double the amount of animated animated features. As long as they have technology on their side, they can make more films with less staff.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    doesn't sound like WDI- just the Studio division.
    We'll see.

I hate to see people lose their jobs, well, the ones that actually did well at them. though, the whole studio division of the company seems to be in need of a major restructuring...
    Ditto for Imagineering.

Time to clean out the snake pit.

Time to stop the p*ssing contests between execs.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    those"exes" that actually don't do the work need to go. most are eisner holdovers.
    "Can I get a witness!"

any time new people take over there is a sort of housecleaning. Iger has been doing that for some time now. he has just gotten to the movie divisions and now lassitter can decide who he wants in what spots.
    I don't know to what extent Lasseter is contributing to the "housecleaning" in Glendale. Ultimately, the hiring/firing decisions stop at Iger's desk.

But as Bob allows these decisions regarding the Studios to be guided by John's and Dr. Ed's collective wisdom, I'm hoping that this process will also extend to Imagineering.

The cost of maintaining outrageous levels of overhead at WDI is slowly killing the company. New attractions cannot be delivered for a reasonable price tag. Some insiders have cited that accountaneers were furious at the final price tag for 'Monsters' at DCA, especially when former Imagineers working elsewhere claimed that their firms could have delivered the same ride experience for half the price.

Outside design houses founded and managed by former Imagineers like Craig Hanna and Steve Kirk can now undercut Imagineering bid proposals any day of the week. And given the Disney pedigree of designers who work at these outside design firms, the level of quality and commitment to the "old school ways" is definitely in place.

Just as Pixar has been slowly gaining ground on old stalwarts like WDFA, companies like Thinkwell and Kirk Design have been doing the same to WDI.

Imagineering has way too many chiefs for their small band of warriors. Or too many chefs which are spoiling the broth. Go ahead and pick your favorite metaphor, but the song remains the same: Glendale is no longer the center of the themed entertainment universe. And it's time for them to snap back to reality and go on a diet.

Lean and mean is nimble and quick.

Nimble and quick is flexible and productive.

And flexible and productive maximizes creativity.

Pixar is lean and mean.

Disney is not.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    We'll see.

Ditto for Imagineering.

Time to clean out the snake pit.

Time to stop the p*ssing contests between execs.
    Amen!!!

• Creative Director

"Can I get a witness!"

I don't know to what extent Lasseter is contributing to the "housecleaning" in Glendale. Ultimately, the hiring/firing decisions stop at Iger's desk.

But as Bob allows these decisions regarding the Studios to be guided by John's and Dr. Ed's collective wisdom, I'm hoping that this process will also extend to Imagineering.

The cost of maintaining outrageous levels of overhead at WDI is slowly killing the company. New attractions cannot be delivered for a reasonable price tag. Some insiders have cited that accountaneers were furious at the final price tag for 'Monsters' at DCA, especially when former Imagineers working elsewhere claimed that their firms could have delivered the same ride experience for half the price.

Outside design houses founded and managed by former Imagineers like Craig Hanna and Steve Kirk can now undercut Imagineering bid proposals any day of the week. And given the Disney pedigree of designers who work at these outside design firms, the level of quality and commitment to the "old school ways" is definitely in place.

Just as Pixar has been slowly gaining ground on old stalwarts like WDFA, companies like Thinkwell and Kirk Design have been doing the same to WDI.

Imagineering has way too many chiefs for their small band of warriors. Or too many chefs which are spoiling the broth. Go ahead and pick your favorite metaphor, but the song remains the same: Glendale is no longer the center of the themed entertainment universe. And it's time for them to snap back to reality and go on a diet.

Lean and mean is nimble and quick.

Nimble and quick is flexible and productive.

Pixar is lean and mean.

Disney is not.

As for WDFA, I think John and Ed are going to be making the right decisions there, about who really deserves to stay and who should go. Actually, by reading a certain blog I go to, they both started their restructuring as soon as they moved in. Though I am not an insider, so I wouldn't know for sure.

As for WDI- I DO want to see a housecleaning there, actually, an entire restructuring. Unfortunately, I keep feeling like the wrong people are going to get to stay, and the actual good ones left may get the boot. When is Bob, or someone, going to actually see this mess they got- and then get rid of the people that really need to go? I hate hearing about layoffs when it comes to the few good ones getting let go!
    I wonder if John actually sees the situation over at WDI? and is he speaking up about it to Bob? how else are things supposed to get fixed?

• Minion

I was listening to public radio this morning on my way to work...

And there was a suggestion that many companies trie to be "creative" that "creativity" is the catch phrase of the day along with "innovation"...

The trouble is what people think is "creative" is often not... And what is truely creative is often laughed at by managers and in the boardroom...

the big thing is to merge words... Some even call to murge creativity and inovation into "Creativation"

Sort of like "synergy" and "innoventions" and a thousand word meldings that seem conterproductive...

Check out my other blog:

• Creative Director

If only we could have someone like Ed Catmull come and clean house at WDI and Parks and Resorts management, all would be right with world. =)

To know what I'm talking about, read the following article. WDFA is poised for a great future.

WDI desperately needs something like this-

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...tory?track=rss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast