• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Million

Walt Disney World/Disneyland Resort Press Release

During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Million Magical Dreams

From an Overnight Stay inside Cinderella Castle to a Golden FASTPASS, Dreams Big and Small to Come True During a First-of-Its-Kind Celebration That Also Features New Attractions and Entertainment at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts

BURBANK, Calif., June 7 -- From an overnight stay inside Cinderella Castle to a Golden FASTPASS, dreams big and small will come true at Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts during Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams," a first-of-its-kind celebration of the individual dreams of Disney Parks guests.

The year-long celebration, beginning Oct. 1, 2006, at Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, will feature the debut of an incredible lineup of new attractions and entertainment at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts, plus new technologies that allow guests to customize their Disney park experience.

And, for the first time, during the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, Disney cast members will award a million dreams -- both large and small, including many "money-can't-buy" experiences -- to guests selected through a random process as part of a unique "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion.

"Throughout this incredible celebration, special dreams and unique experiences once thought impossible will be awarded by our cast every day," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "Disney parks are always the place where dreams come true -- but even more so during the 'Year of a Million Dreams.'"

The "impossible" includes the creation of over-the-top, overnight experiences for winning guests at both East and West Coast resorts: a royal bedchamber inside Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World Resort and a Mickey Mouse Penthouse at Disneyland Resort, both expected to be complete by January 2007.

A day of royal treatment will end with a night of enchantment inside Cinderella Castle for a different lucky guest each night. Cinderella's royal bedchamber, now under construction at Magic Kingdom, will allow Disney guests to stay overnight inside the park and enjoy a view shared only by Tinker Bell. The lavishly decorated bedroom will be located in a space originally planned as an in-park apartment for the use of the Disney family.

And for a lucky Disneyland guest, each night, the all-new Mickey Mouse Penthouse at Disneyland Hotel will pour on the Mickey charm and include magical views overlooking both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure parks. The extraordinary penthouse will be decorated in all things Mickey, with finishing touches by none other than Minnie Mouse herself.

In addition, during the year-long celebration, other Disney dreams both large and small will be awarded in the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion, such as:

* Traveling to each Disney resort around the world to serve as grand marshal in a Disney parade. * A variety of unique Disney vacation experiences. * Admission to special parties and other extraordinary experiences in the Disneyland and Walt Disney World parks. * Private meetings with favorite Disney characters. * Or, a Golden FASTPASS ticket with unique access entitlements to some of Disney's most popular attractions.

New Attractions and Entertainment Planned for the "Year of a Million Dreams"

Throughout the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts will debut major new attractions:

* Disneyland Resort in California

-- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage -- Inspired by Disney -- Pixar's "Finding Nemo," this all-new E-ticket adventure will take guests on a real (and unbelievable) underwater excursion. (Summer 2007)

-- Rockin' Space Mountain -- Space Mountain is getting a new twist. Thanks to new lighting and technology, Disney's classic attraction will become a new experience in which rockets will rock it through the greatest concert in the universe. An all-new soundtrack will fit the exciting twists and turns of Disney's rocket classic. (Spring 2007)

* Walt Disney World Resort in Florida

-- "The Seas with Nemo & Friends" at Epcot -- Nemo is lost -- again -- and guests aboard "clam-mobiles" join his friends to search one of the world's largest saltwater aquariums for the playful clownfish in a stunning display of new entertainment technology inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Finding Nemo." (Late 2006)

-- "Finding Nemo-The Musical" at Disney's Animal Kingdom -- Also inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Finding Nemo," the Great Barrier Reef comes to colorful life in an all-new musical filled with spectacular scenery, elaborate puppetry and music by a Tony-Award-winning composer. (Late 2006)

-- The Laugh Floor Comedy Club at Magic Kingdom -- Guests find the power of laughter in an engaging and interactive new adventure inspired by Disney- Pixar's "Monsters, Inc." as they match wits with the one-eyed hero Mike Wazowski and his friends. (Early 2007)

Additionally, special entertainment and programs will be in place at the parks and resorts to accommodate the desires and wishes of would-be Disney Princesses, pirates, adventurers and space explorers. Guests will be able to customize their visit to a Disney park to pursue the "Dream Track" of their choice with on-line planning tools and in-park technology to help them become the hero or princess they've always dreamed of being.

For more information about the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration and the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion, visit http://www.mydisneyparks.com/ . Look for future announcements with the details of the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion. No purchase necessary and subject to promotion official rules which will be available on Oct. 1, 2006. Odds of winning any prize will depend on the number of eligible entries. Void where prohibited
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Million

To quote Marlon Brando:

The Horror, the horror, the horror.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Million

Wait... why no "nighttime" designation of the Rockit Mountain effects. That scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Ok, the press release says the Million Prize giveaway is a year-long.

In 2005, looking at the USA Main Theme Parks (no water parks), Amusement Business/ERA estimated the attendance at just under 55 million, add the increase in attendance, and we are looking at about 60 million visitors from October 2006 thru September 2007, so about a 1 in 60 chance of winning a prize each time you visit a park (I presume it will be chance a day, so going to a second park in the same day would not give you another "game piece".

And who knows how they will handle this, either thru Scratch cards, which would be hard to control due to giving out the Cinderella Castle or special Disneyland Hotel Suite each day, so it looks more than likely that we will go back to the Gift-Giver type of program, where you either have a computer spit out a game piece when you enter, or the fact you will need to go to a bank of special machines to swipe your ticket/ParkHopper or AP (Something like a bank of FASTPASS machines that print out a FP like ticket that states that you are a winner and the prize, or something like "Come Back, and your dreams might come true tomorrow").

Now we are looking at a million prizes, about 1/3 in Anaheim, and 2/3'rds in Orlando.

Let's look at Anaheim, and round to make it easy to calculate, 365,000 prizes, or about 1,000 a day on average. Now we know that one person a day will get the hotel room, and I presume some prizes, such as a trip to each park worldwide and the vacation packages will be less than once a day, so a few people a day will get the admission to the special party, a few will get the Golden FASTPASS, but it looks like some folks will get something like a special "Where Dreams Come True" collector pin, or other similar type of prize.

It should be interesting to see the official rules, but they are not planning to release them until October 1st.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• back in Austin

interesting about Space Mountain. I thought that was gonna go away silently. Interesting too that they're calling it "Rockin' Space Mountain" and not "Rockit". Does that mean anything, I wonder?

• Oh my Goodness!

Re: During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    :drool:

I SO wanna stay in the castle!!!!!
    I second that with jumping up and down and twirling !....I would imagine that you'd have to visit WDW to do that and I do not forsee that happening for me anytime soon........

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Mill

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess
    I second that with jumping up and down and twirling !....I would imagine that you'd have to visit WDW to do that and I do not forsee that happening for me anytime soon........
    cpdisney - indeed you would have to go to Florida to win that prize...according to the press release the similar prize in Anaheim would be the night in Mickey's Penthouse.

I, too, hope that it was just an oversight that the "Rock-It Mountain" thing was not designated as nighttime only in that release. Judging the early reviews, it was not entirely well received by its intended target audience in its first run-through.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Oh my Goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    cpdisney - indeed you would have to go to Florida to win that prize...according to the press release the similar prize in Anaheim would be the night in Mickey's Penthouse.

--Barry
    Yeah, I know. And don't get me wrong I love the Big Cheese. I think he's great....however....there is something in every little girl (and big girl for that matter) that dreams of Castles...and sleeping IN a disney park (or maybe that little girl dream was more me then every little girl ) But it is all interesting. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next year.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess
    Yeah, I know. And don't get me wrong I love the Big Cheese. I think he's great....however....there is something in every little girl (and big girl for that matter) that dreams of Castles...and sleeping IN a disney park (or maybe that little girl dream was more me then every little girl ) But it is all interesting. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next year.
    I wonder if a night in Walt's apartment would be something they'd ever do...not every night for a year, of course...Maybe just once or twice as a really exclusive prize. Or is that something that might not have appeal to non-Disney fanatics???
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Oh my Goodness!

I wonder if a night in Walt's apartment would be something they'd ever do...not every night for a year, of course...Maybe just once or twice as a really exclusive prize. Or is that something that might not have appeal to non-Disney fanatics???
    Hmmmm....that would be interesting...but as said on another thred about opening Walt's Apartment for special tours....it might ruin it. And, to me at least, it might take away the speicalness of it. Donno. I'd take them up on it however if they ever offered me the opertunity!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I, too, hope that it was just an oversight that the "Rock-It Mountain" thing was not designated as nighttime only in that release. Judging the early reviews, it was not entirely well received by its intended target audience in its first run-through.

--Barry
    I hope so too. But that is a rather big part of the entire announcement
    to mess up. And if "Rock It Mt." is to be, wouldn't it need be closed for a while, to get it working as originally intended, instead of what happened at grad nites? Jay better be able to back up his words with big $$$ on that one.

• Former Epcot CM

That castle is MINE!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

this is like the big giveaway they did for the 20th anniversary at WDW. back then they gave away a car a day. the way they gave prizes away back then, you got a ticket at the enterance when your ticket was passed through the computer, then you went to a place set up in city hall to collect your prize. I went 6 or seven times to WDW that year and never won anything. the prizes we as small as visors with the bday logo to like a said a car a day.

has there been any official announcement on how they're actually going to pick the winners? at first i thought it would be from the names of guests at the Disney hotels but that's not very fair to guests staying outside the property?