Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Happy Memories

Hairspray updates

There's more casting news on the movie based on the stage musical based on the movie.... Since it's been so long since the last casting update, the original movie thread appears to be closed so a quick refresher: John Travolta as Edna & Queen Latifah as Motormouth Maybelle

Now to the newer stuff... It was announced this week that Amanda Bynes will play Penny and Brittany Snow is in negotiations to play Amber.

The big news today is that they have found their Tracy Turnblad. After a nationwide search for an unknown they have cast 17 year old Nicole Blonsky. From the info provided in the Variety article she has been working at Coldstone in Great Neck, NY and has performed in local theater productions. I haven't seen any pics posted of the girl yet, but if I see any I will try to post them.

• Happy Memories

Re: Hairspray updates

All you High School Musical fans should be happy with today's news. Zac Efron has been cast as Link in the Hairspray film. I'm confused though. I thought he didn't do his own singing in HSM?

he didn't

• Minion

Damn! I keep wishing and hoping that Travolta backs out of this film.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by lesmisfan
    he didn't
    ugh... that's what I was afraid of

With so many talented triple threat performers in the world, I just don't understand the need to cast non-singers in singing roles. If these are the tactics we're employing then I think it's safe to say that the once promising revival of the movie musical has officially jumped the shark. Such a shame really...

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    ugh... that's what I was afraid of

With so many talented triple threat performers in the world, I just don't understand the need to cast non-singers in singing roles. If these are the tactics we're employing then I think it's safe to say that the once promising revival of the movie musical has officially jumped the shark. Such a shame really...
    I read that he will be doing his own singing for this, the director is not going to let him cop-out. He was blended with another singer for High School Musical so you could say that he did half of his own singing. He wants authenticity, not controversey. Zac said in a interview that this will be his chance to regain his vocal dignity. I wonder, will this ruin his tween image that is serving him so well right now?

• Sock Puppet

AAAAH!! I LOVE Zac Efron! I'm so excited.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Why is everyone so young in this movie? Wheres the original broadway cast?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Bring back Ricki Lake!

Should be a good movie!
    Patrick Sikorski

zac did do his own singing in the movie...just not much of it...iv heard the songs and u can really tell when its the other person...he basically just does the slow beginnings of songs...he can sing...it just might have been out of reach and im sure it was a rushed recording it was a small tv movie...

for those wondering if amanda can sing i read in an interview she used to do musical theater...so she might be singing in the movie

brittany snow has danced in the past so she might have experience singing or in musicals dont know though

• Man O Lantern

Sorry I didn't see this one earlier, Harry!!

I'm SO irritated that Travolta is Edna. Ticks me off. Ugh. I basically avoid all movies with him in them, so this sucks for me.

But I *am* excited about Jim Broadbent as Wilbur (although I think he'd actually be a great Edna). Amanda Bynes should be a great Penny Pingleton! And I hope Michelle Pfieffer doesn't mess up her role....I don't see her as vampy enough. I know she can vamp, but when she does, it's not funny.

I don't know who Zac Efron is. I'm so old!! My eleven year old is gone, so I can't ask her.

• The Twilight Zone

GOD WHY did the add zc and john i have a felling these is going to be not to high standards

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

I'm definitely not looking forward to seeing Amanda Bynes, ugh, I can't stand her.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm so glad there's a thread to discuss the new movie based on the musical which was based on the original movie by John Waters.

The Casting so far is very interesting, So far I'm liking all but John Travolta, not because I don't think he'll do a good job, it's just I don't see him as Edna. Harvey Feinstein should have this role.

Anyone else bothered that none of this is going to be shot in Baltimore? I mean sure it's common for movies to film in Canada, but to not even have one exterior shot in Baltimore? Kinda defeats the whole quirkiness of the original. (well, that and it was a John Waters movie...)
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast