• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Spider-Man unmasked!!!

Spiderman outs himself to the press
    Wed Jun 14, 11:30 AM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.
    "I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.
    "Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.
    In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."
    The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.
    Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."
    Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.
    "It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060614...n_060614153003
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Spider-Man unmasked!!!

It's a Marvel: Spidey Unmasks

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
    June 15, 2006

Behind the 'Spider' mask, he's just Peter Parker.

Forty-four years after first donning a mask, Spider-Man takes it off in public in a comic book that hits stores today.

In the book, the second issue of "Civil War," Spider-Man, Captain America and other familiar heroes in Marvel Comics are struggling not with villains but with federal legislation requiring that they register and reveal their identities. That federal crackdown begins after hundreds of children are killed at an elementary school when a battle between heroes and villains spills onto their campus.

In the issue now on sale, Spider-Man is the first major hero to acquiesce, pulling off his mask at a Washington news conference. Captain America, meanwhile, goes underground and leads a faction of heroes who believe the government has gone too far.

The government versus masked men theme has become a staple of superhero lore (it was memorably defined by "The Watchmen" comics in the 1980s but was recently made far more famous by "The Incredibles" and "X-Men" films) but with Spider-Man revealing to the world that his real name is Peter Parker, Marvel is sacrificing one of the core components of its most famous character's mythology.

It is also creating a major divide between the comic-book continuity and the hit Hollywood franchise.

"It can be very intimidating if you don't know where the story is going or how it ends; we do, so we're just excited about where it takes us and the story possibilities it offers," Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor-in-chief, said Wednesday.

He also promised that Marvel won't be backing-off of Spidey's big revelation by zapping the public with a forget-me ray or saying the press conference was a dream or a hoax.

"We won't be pulling a Bobby Ewing with this."
    http://www.latimes.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Shablagoo!

Re: Spider-Man unmasked!!!

Read the issue yesterday. I'm looking forward to where it goes next. What I really want to read is a transcript of the entire press conference. I'm curious what kind of questions the press will ask Spider-man and how he will answer.