Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

And...I think Disney has made enough money off of the 50th Anniversary scam.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    And...I think Disney has made enough money off of the 50th Anniversary scam.
    Took your grumpy pills today Dreamer?

"Scam" - really? It was a "scam?"

I am not so certain of that...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Took your grumpy pills today Dreamer?

"Scam" - really? It was a "scam?"

I am not so certain of that...
    Yes, Disney doesn't care about the milestone at all, it is a business.

Of course they did the 50th to advertise their parks and get money.

But they did a nice job at it and the upkeep of DL is wonderful. But the root cause of the Anniversary was to make money, but that's like any business.

• insufferable know-it-all

It's irrelevant whether "they" want to celebrate it (and trust me, there are plenty who do). What matters is that "we" want to celebrate, and they are accommodating.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Minion

Yes, Disney doesn't care about the milestone at all, it is a business.

Of course they did the 50th to advertise their parks and get money.

But they did a nice job at it and the upkeep of DL is wonderful. But the root cause of the Anniversary was to make money, but that's like any business.
    I could see the argument made that the rood cause of the Anniversery was the fear that DL would be over whelmed... Thus the party was a bit "marketed" as opposed to "promoted" which is differant... The idea was not to create demand but to controll it...

What they have now... The "Year of Million Dreams" thing is a big mess, because they are now usuing it to "promote" the parks as opposed to "marketing" them... Trying to create demand again...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I could see the argument made that the rood cause of the Anniversery was the fear that DL would be over whelmed... Thus the party was a bit "marketed" as opposed to "promoted" which is differant... The idea was not to create demand but to controll it...

What they have now... The "Year of Million Dreams" thing is a big mess, because they are now usuing it to "promote" the parks as opposed to "marketing" them... Trying to create demand again...
    The "Year of a Million Dreams" is just an add-on to the soon-to-be-gone 50th Anniversary.

And after the "Year of a Million Dreams," Disney is going to create some new title to advertise their parks.

•   
    • Minion

The "Year of a Million Dreams" is just an add-on to the soon-to-be-gone 50th Anniversary.

And after the "Year of a Million Dreams," Disney is going to create some new title to advertise their parks.
    It seems to be an irrellivant understatement to me...

A million? yeah right if DL and WDW is open for 100 days and pulled a combined attendance of 10,000 people they will have a million dreams...
    that is roughly 2,700 people a day... at thriteen parks... which means 225 dreams at a park for a day... That isn't a lot of dreams...
    Check out my other blog:

• Pilot EdForceOne

Kind of like the themes that were here BEFORE the 50th anny? I don't get your point.

Yes.. almost every year Disney is going to have a marketing campaign.. its what advertisers do...

• insufferable know-it-all

I hope they come up with something like the Dream Machine. What a great concept that was.... come to the park, maybe win a car!

....I could use a new car....or an eskimo pie, but I think that was USH...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    Kind of like the themes that were here BEFORE the 50th anny? I don't get your point...
    Trouble is I thought the themes before the 50th anny where both contrived, lacking creativitity and originality... Completely "anti-magical"...

Sort of like the names of attractions in DCA.... Did someone tell people in WDI that there is NO such thing as a GOOD pun...
    Check out my other blog:

• Pilot EdForceOne

I dunno.. most of these campaigns have all been around anniversaries if I recall... the big difference with the 50th was the anniversaries of it and having the parks feed between each other on the common theme. This one is just the next in line..

• Banned User

Well Disney has always done little events here and there to raise money, but the 50th happenings are by far the largest money-producing event Disney has ever done.

• just the beernecessities

The 50th anniversary drips with sentimentality, and in turn provides a powerful marketing device for a business like Disney. In the future I hope that they can add and/or restore all the parks so that there are no great inequalities in experiences between them.

As far as building more regional parks in the U.S., I don't know. The negative cash flow that comes from a park being non-operational for part of the year due to weather seems to be a big negative. The quality of the Disney experience requires vast amounts of cash to facilitate, and to provide that a park would do better to be open all year round and try to operate at high capacity levels as much as possible.

India is probably a good bet for any form of entertainment enterprise like a theme park and someone will build something soon regardless.

• Banned User

Buy six flags!

While India is definitely an economic force in the world, they still have a ways to go, and I personally don't see them as a suitable location for a theme park. As was previously mentioned, their power grid is still tenuous- you can't have brownouts on property when safety is an issue. Their transportation infrastructure, outside the major cities, is also quite primitive by western standards and would require significant upgrades. The more built-up areas are also typically pretty dang hot and stormy during long stretches of the year (a problem also noted in Florida).

Beyond infrastructure hurdles, Disney would need to consider how to translate the core company values in line with Hindu & Muslim traditions. Sure they've faced that in their other offshore ventures, but I think that India would pose a bigger challenge, considering the pervasiveness of religion in everyday Indian life. No hot dogs, no hamburgers, plenty of vegetarian offerings, which are definitely the minority in current parks. And what impact would the caste system (even tho it's no longer an official social instrument) have on trying to plan an egalitarian park?

Lastly, the growing economy is a simultaneous curse and blessing. On the one hand, it's created a middle class that really didn't exist a generation ago. 20-somethings have disposable income, health care, and can support members of their immediate and extended families. This middle class flourishment is happening so fast that employees can hop from job to job, just to get another pay bump. Apple has recently pulled out of India citing untenable rises in salaries. Disney relies upon a large base of wage workers in is parks, and I could see them suffering from a similar problem of high turnover and frequent labor problems.

On a per capita basis, the economic growth has really been limited to a minority. There are still millions of citizens, an hours drive outside the large cities that have no running water, no sewer system, no medical treatment, & no education. As a result, there is definitely civil unrest and political strife between the states who've benefited from Western influence and those whose constituents lead a life of perpetual squalor.

Here in the west, we all hear about India's successes and it often comes across as some cheaper, better behaved & educated version of the west. It's a heck of a lot more complicated than that, and they're still just a developing country. Until the future of India is clearer, I'd pass on it for something so cultural-centric and economically volatile as a large theme park.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast