Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Well, Disney's America would be cost prohibitive now in Virginia. And most of the land they were looking at isn't available anymore anyway.

    I'm not convinced about the potential success or necessity of a Texas Disney park, but I guess I could be persuaded if it was something unique that was differentiated from DLR and WDW.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  2. #47

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    I think it would be wiser to go decidedly middle-America, somewhere accessible by at least 3 states, along a major highway.

    OR...

    In a small country that doesn't already have a park, like Germany or Spain, or even England! (Though most of the more temperate parts of England are awfully close to DLP)

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  3. #48

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    In a small country that doesn't already have a park, like Germany or Spain, or even England! (Though most of the more temperate parts of England are awfully close to DLP)
    People travel all around continental europe like we travel to the grocery store tho. One park in Western Europe is enough.

  4. #49

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Well, given the numbers at DLP, you're probably right for the time being. However, I do think that there is money to be made in the Middle America markets, something in, say, Idaho or the Great Lakes region, or the east coast (but north of the Mason-Dixon, lest it be too close to WDW)

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  5. #50

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Disney has had the idea to create "festival marketplaces" for regional markets in the past, but the company abandoned the idea for whatever reason.

  6. #51

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Disney has had the idea to create "festival marketplaces" for regional markets in the past, but the company abandoned the idea for whatever reason.
    Great, Disney strip malls... :vomit:
    Check out my other blog:

  7. #52

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    80

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    I think by expanding the DVC Disney is slowly branching into the "family" vacation spots without diluting the Disney brand. WDW and DL will be Destination resorts as are DLP HKDL and TDL. The problem I think Disney has is how to make these resorts stay unique while opening up the other areas to "regional" parks. I seem to remember that when MK opened Disney wanted to put something called the Western Expansion up instead of Pirates, but the people went and called for pirates, so they gave them pirates. What is to say that people aren't going to call for a full fledged MK park after they see what is there, and if they don't get it they probably won't go to the park. So I think because the public demands so much from Disney and their parks they are in a lose lose situation if they try to do a regional theme.

  8. #53

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDelli
    I think by expanding the DVC Disney is slowly branching into the "family" vacation spots without diluting the Disney brand. WDW and DL will be Destination resorts as are DLP HKDL and TDL. The problem I think Disney has is how to make these resorts stay unique while opening up the other areas to "regional" parks. I seem to remember that when MK opened Disney wanted to put something called the Western Expansion up instead of Pirates, but the people went and called for pirates, so they gave them pirates. What is to say that people aren't going to call for a full fledged MK park after they see what is there, and if they don't get it they probably won't go to the park. So I think because the public demands so much from Disney and their parks they are in a lose lose situation if they try to do a regional theme.
    Just because some people want pirates does not mean you should give them pirates.

    Hell, I'd like Disney to build one of The Magic Kingdoms across the street from my house so that I could just walk there anytime that I want. But, the relative exclusivity of Disneyland and its permutations is part of their appeal. And, besides, the public doesn't know what it wants until you give it to them. Had The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World featured completely unique and original attractions, Disney would have had guests traveling from all over the world to visit each destination, and each destination would serve to whet people's appetites for more Disney attractions.

    Walt Disney said that there would never be another Disneyland, and he also said that what Disney would do in Florida would be different. But, after his death, his successors didn't follow his instructions, and they built something that was just a "safe" rehash of what was successful in California. They might as well have called the place "Roy Disney World".

    This way of thinking is not good from a strategic planning standpoint as the results severely limit earnings growth through cannibalization.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-07-2006 at 11:13 AM.

  9. #54

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    This way of thinking is not good from a strategic planning standpoint as the results severely limit earnings growth through cannibalization.
    I disagree... At some point each resourt will reach market saturation. At which each resourt will essencially top off unless other locations/experiances are created.

    This is one reason why the Disney Cruise line is so successful...

    I sincerely doubt that a park in Texas would lead to canablization... Provided that there is enough imagination to create a unique experiance.

    The troble is, strategic planning is anti imagination... It says lets take existing intelectual content and milk it for all it's worth...
    Check out my other blog:

  10. #55

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Corporations are started by entrepreneurs... and ended by management.

    Management doesn't "do" risk-taking ventures the way entrepreneurs do.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  11. #56

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,433

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Had The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World featured completely unique and original attractions, Disney would have had guests traveling from all over the world to visit each destination, and each destination would serve to whet people's appetites for more Disney attractions.
    Except DL can't support the demand.. which is why in part they build WDW in the first place!

    Attract people to DL where you can't keep the visitor onsite due to limited capacity.. so you lose money to other people.. vs. attracting them somewhere you can keep them onsite and get more money from them.

    You could keep DL 'exclusive' but its small size and capacities would simply make it flat-line in revenue and growth once it hits capacity. So then the only way you make more money is raising prices and justifying the 'supply/demand' increase in price. So DL because not only 'exclusive' in content, but 'exclusive' in who could visit.. closing DL down to the masses.

    Exclusive is cool if you could handle the demand you generated.. but why do you think every store and resturant starts opening more stores.. ? To increase the volume they can handle.

    I'd have no problems if they duplicated DL or MK brick for brick anywhere else. As long as its as good as the other.. why would I care? 'original' vs 'copy' is for emotions.. not what you experience or get out of the vacation.

  12. #57

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    You could say that WDW could support the demand, which is why they had extra space...

    However, I think Walt wanted to expand his EPCOT housing/community project... However, I am fairly certain his plans included building MK... If I remember correctly when he introduced the concept...
    Check out my other blog:

  13. #58

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    I believe it was a necessary concession on his part.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  14. #59

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    The goal of all of these destinations is to get guests returning again and again.

    Duplicating attractions around the world severely limits the capability of each destination to do so, whereas unique, differentiated attractions would ensure that none of The Magic Kingdoms compete with each other for international tourists visiting repeatedly.

    I know that one of the reasons I haven't been to Walt Disney World lately is because virtually the same attractions that exist here in California also exist there now, and, whenever I do visit W.D.W. in the future, I probably won't be spending much time, if any, at The Magic Kingdom or at any of the duplicate attractions.

    Contrast that situation with the one in Tokyo where Disney Seas opened with virtually all new, all original attractions. Several people I know, including myself, have visited or are planning to visit Tokyo specifically because of this utterly unique Disney park.

  15. #60

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: How Disney could increase their theme-park business

    He wanted The Magic Kingdom, but he did not necessarily want the same attractions.

    There is a reason Florida has Cinderella Castle and California has Sleeping Beauty Castle.

    There is plenty of imagination left in the world and plenty of stories to tell that duplicating attractions makes absolutely no sense.

    If Disney wants to spread the costs of research and development of ride and show systems, then the company should develop new stories and shows that utilize existing technology.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-07-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Parks Lead Increase In Theme Park Spending Trend
    By tjcjr in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
  2. HK Ocean Park vs Disney Theme Park in Mainland China ??
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
  3. Singapore & Walt Disney Co. pursuing renegotiation on Disney Theme Park.Mingaonews
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
  4. Comments from Disney CEO on Shanghai Disney Theme Park and HKDL,Reuters,2006-8-9
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 04:51 AM
  5. Disney Unlikely To Spin Off Theme Parks Business - Forbes 3/30/06
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 07:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •