Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

A question for stock holders......

I would like to purchase some stock in the company. I want more than one share, but I would also like an "official" stock certificate. Where did you purchase your stock and where would you reccommend buying it. If I get some through an online brokerage, will I still get a stock certificate? HELP!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I would like to purchase some stock in the company. I want more than one share, but I would also like an "official" stock certificate. Where did you purchase your stock and where would you reccommend buying it. If I get some through an online brokerage, will I still get a stock certificate? HELP!
    First thing is to check the Disney web site. I purchased dierectly through them fo a thousand. someoe said it does not exist anymore. I did not ask for it but they would send you the certificate.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    That is a tough one... Most brokerages do not want to issues certificates and prefer to hold your stock in "street name..." However, the Disney Certificate is pretty...

Since I work through a "Deep Discount" broker I don't have the option, but I still have full voting rites...

Unfortunately you will have to ask... most will charge you a fee to aquire... And it behooves you to go with a Discount Broker if possable...

I would try ask a "Discount" brokerage first... these would be TD Waterhouse or Ameritrade... But you will have to ask them...

If they don't you might want to go to a "Full-Service Discount" which is Fidelity, Charels Schwab, or Vangard... You may still have to ask them...

Another good place is direct from Disney... They have a direct investment plan that allows you to buy certificates direct from them... (Most large companies have a plan...)

http://corporate.disney.go.com/inves...to_invest.html

Each plan has it's draw backs... And largely it will depend on what you want out of a brokerage... So choose wisely...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Oh and if you want just one share...

You can go to oneshare.com

Terrific gift idea, like I said, those certs are pretty...
    Check out my other blog:

• Senior Minion

is there any hidden fees? Is there a minimum to purchase, I'm new to this. any nice answer would be great.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    is there any hidden fees? Is there a minimum to purchase, I'm new to this. any nice answer would be great.
    Depends on the discount broker... and yess there usually is a minimum if you want a certificate...

Theoretically there are "deep discount" brokers who will allow you to purchase fractions of stock, but since they hold it in "street name" they will not allow you to transfer it to a certificate...

To get a certificate you need to by at least one share with a fee of course, which is a brokerage fee (for purchasing the stock) plus a fee to put the certificate together and mailing it to you... you are looking at somewhere around 35 bucks. One share goes for just over 27 bucks right now... and the market cap is at about 1.75 billion shares... (to check the current price you can go to almost any stock "ticker" and type in DIS, and it will get you the current trading price...)

I know it sounds ironic that the price of putting together a share of stock is more than the price of the stock, but that is why I said that most discount brokers prefer not to work with certificates at all...

I believe the certificate system direct from Invester Relations may actually be cheaper... But I don't know how the system works exactly... I probably should request more info from Investor Relations... but I love my discount broker...

Hope this helps...
    Check out my other blog:

• Senior Minion

Thanks CellarHound, I appreciate it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
    • Minion

Oh, there is also one other way to obtain a Disney Stock Certificate, and that is to purchase it direct from someone who wants to sell there's... But the price fluctuates, because that certificat could have appreciated since purchase... and sometimes the cert has "historical" value so it become valuable above the market price...

For example, you can find stock certificates for the Titanic on EBay... And yes, many of these are official documents...
    Check out my other blog:

• Senior Minion

As a former stockbroker (and principal)...

You can generally buy a share through nearly any broker, but they're going to expect a minimum to open an account. You'd need to open an account first before you'd be able to buy any shares.

You should indeed be able to buy a single share if you want. The restrictions to buy in round lots (100 shares) have pretty much gone by the wayside.

Once you have the share(s), you can direct your broker to have them issued out of your account in street name. There will be a marginal fee for this.

You'll then receive the certificate in the mail from WDC Corporate; allow about two months from the time your broker processes your request for this to arrive.

If you were to buy a certificate from an individual, you would have to have them endorse it (fill out all the information on the back), and then send it in to WDC Corporate to have it re-registered; they could require additional paperwork such as a notarized letter.

In addition to Ameritrade and TD Waterhouse, there's also E*Trade, Schwab, and Sharebuilder; if you're in a credit union, they may also have a brokerage wing, as well as your bank. Check around. Remember, once you open your account, and get your share, there's nothing that says you need to continue to keep it open--you can simply close it out.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have on this!

• Banned User

My moher has 35 shared with e*trade.... (I want an account...)

She has not gotten the cirtificate, but i want one....

I use Sharebuilder, and it lets you buy any amount of shares, with no minimum account balance required. You can also convert shares into paper shares, if you want.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee
    I use Sharebuilder, and it lets you buy any amount of shares, with no minimum account balance required. You can also convert shares into paper shares, if you want.
    It is my understanding that they will not let you convert to certificates...
    Check out my other blog:

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    It is my understanding that they will not let you convert to certificates...
    With Sharebuilder, you're buying fractional shares each time; it's similar to just making your own mutual fund. So they might have some rules on that.

Other than that, though, any brokerage firm is compelled to have stock shares issued out in your name if you ask. Realize that it's not the broker itself who does the actual printing of shares; that's done by the company.

[Note: This doesn't apply to things such as bonds, options, mutual funds, etc, which are only "book entry"]

I'll admit that it's been a while since I've seen one, but if I recall correctly, the Disney share certificates are not as attractive as they used to be; instead of works of art, they're more "plain vanilla", although they do have to have someone's face on them. I think there's a site on-line which shows the stock certificates of various company.

Where is the best place to buy stocks online?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Engination
    Where is the best place to buy stocks online?
    I think it depends on what your investment needs are, and how much money and assets you have... If you plan on doing day trading... or if you are a long term investor... There are reasons why I say this... Each online stock broker caters to differant needs...

Sharebuilder is differant than E-Trade, and both are differant than Charles Shwab...

I don't have a lot of money to invest, so I started out with ShareBuilder... When I have enough assets I will likely move up to another company... And by all means, pay down your debt first...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast