• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'POTC: DMC' Soundtrack - SoundtrackNet 6/18/06

SoundtrackNet
    By Dan Goldwasser
    June 18, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is a very different album than the first in tone and style. Where the first one was a veritable non-stop action album, the soundtrack to the sequel has a bit more restraint and emotion to it. With varying styles such as waltzes, jig, soft heartfelt cues, orchestral action, and even electronic mayhem, Zimmer's work will be sure to spark debate. There aren't as many of the themes from the original score heard in the sequel, but when you do hear them, they sound more mature, and the orchestra isn't buried in the electronics, for the most part.

With over two hours of score in the film (which reportedly runs over 2.5 hours) and only 51-minutes on the album (not including the bonus remix track), it is hard to say how well represented the score is on the soundtrack. Nonetheless, the answer will be found out when Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest opens in theaters on July 7, 2006.
    The soundtrack will be available from Walt Disney Records on July 4, 2006.

Three years ago, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl burst on the unsuspecting movie-going public and became a smash hit. With music "over-produced" by Hans Zimmer, composer Klaus Badelt and a team of contributors helped whip the score together in a blazingly fast amount of time. Fans and critics alike all had a field day with the soundtrack, some praising the modern rock approach to a period adventure film, and others lambasting it for the very same reason.
    For the sequel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, composer Hans Zimmer steps up to the plate to take over as the lead composer. With a bit more time to work on the score, the result is a work that takes advantage of the orchestra a bit more than the first film, but doesn't lose its modern roots. Zimmer wrote new themes for the sequel, but kept a few bits from the original score, which pop up here and there in the soundtrack.
    The album will be out on the Fourth of July, just a few days before the film is released. So before you decide to skip the BBQ and head over to the record store to pick up the album, do yourself a favor and read SoundtrackNet's First Listen of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Ye might just find what it is ye seek! Please note that we have not seen the film, and what follows is a track-by-track analysis of the soundtrack album.
    http://soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=198

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: 'POTC: DMC' Soundtrack - SoundtrackNet 6/18/06

I'm listening to the samples right now. Feels very right, I love it. I WANT IT NOW!!

Not sure about track 10 & 12. 10 may fit all right in the movie. 12 sounds like it's for dance clubs. 10 reminded me of Danny Elfman's work in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mostly the Oompa Loompa's song for Mike Teavee.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-19-2006 at 01:15 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• far, far away from DL

Can't wait. I think it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the link.

Sabrina

• Official Mice Chat person

Wow, I'm very excited for this soundtrack. Filmfreak11, I don't think track 12 will be in the movie, it's just on the album for fun. (at least that's what I think) Because track 12 really wouldn't fit in the movie at all... like you said it sounds like it should be in a dance club.

• Banned User

Darn, quick time wont work on this computer... and nothing else i have will play it... oh well...

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    I'm listening to the samples right now. Feels very right, I love it. I WANT IT NOW!!

Not sure about track 10 & 12. 10 may fit all right in the movie. 12 sounds like it's for dance clubs. 10 reminded me of Danny Elfman's work in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mostly the Oompa Loompa's song for Mike Teavee.
    That's EXACTLY what I though about track 10...as for 12...blech...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Hmmm... just listened through the first time, and it was kinda 'meh' for me. I didn't get that rollicking-adventure feeling that I got with the soundtrack from the first movie. I did like "Two Hornpipes" and "The Kraken." If I'm not mistaken, part of "The Kraken" (starting around 6:15) sounds like what is now being played in the attraction.
    Last edited by xfkirsten; 07-05-2006 at 08:17 PM.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Know More Than You Should

It's on iTunes people! Just bought it. Even comes with a digital booklet- and a steal in my opinion for only $7.99.

It sounds pretty good so far. Definately different from the first film, but it has the same playful/action feel to it. A keeper in my opinion. Now I just can't wait to see the actual film!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I got the soundtrack the 4th, at the World of Disney store in Anaheim. Ha, that felt nice.