• Banned User

A better Walt Disney Company?

So, since Iger took the helm and especially since Disney announced it was buying Pixar, I have heard about a lot of positive changes that have been implemented and made for a better Disney company. Is the company in much better shape than it was in 2002?

• back in Austin

Re: A better Walt Disney Company?

I don't know much about business, but it's gotta be in better shape than it was. Not only is the company now back in touch with its roots, but Iger seems willing to let people shine and use their talent for the betterment of the company. That's gotta make for a healthier company. The decision to buy Pixar and not control them but let them remind Disney how to produce entertainment is huge.

•   
    • Minion

Well, to be honest, I think the jury is still out on wether or not it is a "better" company... We will likely know a few years down the line...

It certainly seems healthier after the Pixar acuisition, and engaged in developing new content distribution channels (Online downloads, Ipod, etc...)

Areas that are still up in the air are the film studios... I think the films are still underperforming... Mostly Miramax and Touchstone.

Iger still has yet to appoint a new number 2 guy... I am hoping it will be Cook so that they can bring in a new guy at the studio...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

It still needs to sell CapCities acquisitions and return to family entertainment core values. Maybe at about $50 billion. then, lease back the family viewing hours from the acquiring company. Everyone wins: acquiring company gets some time slots filled with no hassle, and Disney gets its product televised.

Issue now is that there's a big ABC building on the Disney lot.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Well the film slate for next year looks pretty strong compared to 2005's awful and full-of-flops year.There seems to be a lot of brainstorming in Imagineering( I may be wrong), Feature Animation has experienced some positive changes, and all the cheap sequals seem to have been cut out of the fold (except for ones having to do with consumer lines). But as said before, I guess we will see down the line. The new distribution lines like Disney through iTunes has really brought Disney in touch with the a new audience, and in a good way.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    It still needs to sell CapCities acquisitions and return to family entertainment core values. Maybe at about $50 billion. then, lease back the family viewing hours from the acquiring company. Everyone wins: acquiring company gets some time slots filled with no hassle, and Disney gets its product televised.

Issue now is that there's a big ABC building on the Disney lot.
    1. This will never happen with Iger at the helm...

2. ESPN is a cash cow... Something Disney would lack if it had to be dependant on studios and seasonal parks...

3. Disney and ABC have been connected at the hip since 1955... I think they miss-utilize this synergy...

-----

One more thing that needs to happen... Disney needs to start purchasing CG animation companies to cut down some of the compitition... They are paying the price right now as I believe Cars is underperforming due to the glut in the CG animation market.
    Check out my other blog:

• Creative Director

For myself, now that WDFA is being completely reorganized, it is time someone opened Iger's eyes to the need for the SAME exact sort of changes over at WDI and the top executives at Parks and Resorts.

A better company today? OH YES!!! But much work still needs to be done.

• Banned User

they started with DL reorganising and then DLP but sort of stopped midway. of course maybe he hasn't found anyone he can trust with the kind of money it will take but the longer he waits the worse it's going to get.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    1. This will never happen with Iger at the helm...
    Yeah, he's a TV guy. I can dream.
    2. ESPN is a cash cow... Something Disney would lack if it had to be dependant on studios and seasonal parks...
    Yes it is. That's why a nice, high price for it would be commanded. A giant cash cow all at once instead of a steady stream. Of course, I used to write that after this potential sale Disney could then buy Pixar. Guess it wasn't necessary, though every stockholder pays for it in dilution.
    3. Disney and ABC have been connected at the hip since 1955... I think they miss-utilize this synergy...
    Well, there was that time when TWWofD was on NBC in the 1970's. That's why I suggest that Disney provides ABC's family entertainment content for the purchaser.
    One more thing that needs to happen... Disney needs to start purchasing CG animation companies to cut down some of the competition... They are paying the price right now as I believe Cars is underperforming due to the glut in the CG animation market.
    Meh. Consumers might be getting tired of getting burned by not-so-great animation supposedly made for families. Also, I don't think there is such a market. It's "family fare," which includes most animation, regardless of the methodology. And getting burned by Disney branded product (CL, The Wild, etc.) is not helping, either.
    It's still all about story.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."