Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Records/Albums

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Records/Albums

I have a mini discussion on this topic in another thread, but I thought that I would devote an entire thread to it.

In an age of iPods and music downloads, I have recently discovered the joys of the record player. K-Mart was having a sale on one, and I got it.

The past few weeks I have been listening to my parents old LPs and 45's and found I really enjoy the record experience.

Today I drove about an hour away with JenLeigh and went record shopping.

I bought Death Cab for Cutie - Plans, Panic! At the Disco 45 of It's better if you do, a Foreigner album at a pawn shop, and I also got my personal favorite, Demon Days.

I really didn't know how many albums these days are still made onto records! It's really cool!

Does anyone else still listen to their record player on a regular basis?
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• In Technicolor!

Re: Records/Albums

Pearl Jam usually releases their music on vinyl.
    These are the games that never end.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I love the vinyl experience and have over 100 LPs. Nothing beats the debate over which side to listen to, the expansive album art (a lost form in the age of CDs), and the warm tones that vinyl produces on a good player.

Sadly my turntable died about a year ago and I've yet to replace it....

Still have a bunch of LPs from the 80s when I was a teenager, but the bulk of my collection are Original Cast Albums that date back into the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

And yup... they DO still make vinyl versions of current albums. Virgin Megastore here tends to have a decent collection although the last new LP I purchased was The Beatles' "Let it Be... Naked".

Also check around area flea markets and eBay. You'll find lots of good stuff CHEAP!

• oh bugger

You like vinyl come visit my uncle! He's in the music business though, produced Heart right here in the Northwest and he owns thousands of vinyl records, big Beatle collection too.

I only have 2 myself but I love 'em. I was actually wanting go buy the new Keane vinyl if I can find it.

While a lot of bands/artists release on vinyl a vast majority of the selection seems to be rap and hip hop... cause who samples and spins Shania Twain? Nah, it's Kanye and Pharrel that you'll find a lot of records for.

So true Ron about cover art... it's a lost artform on most now, so sad.

• We're number one!

I love listening to vinyl! My aunt and my stepdad both have many records and sometimes I sneak away into their collections and play some old Beatles, Johnny Cash...whatever I can get my hands on. It's so much fun to just sit back and listen to them.

And I second what ron said about album cover art. That's what is so fun about vinyl is all the great artwork that becomes as well knows as the music itself.

• Gay Man

I still love vinyl and have over 3000 albums and singles. I refuse to part with them. Besides, some of the punk rock classics will never be released on CD.

I have around 50 indie 7" singles (once called 45s, no less) from the 80s and 90s. Most of them feature at least one rare song that will most likely never be re-released or put out on CD.

I also enjoy going to garage sales and purchasing the most esoteric albums. There are a ton of novelty records that will never see a proper CD release-- great for transfering to make mix tape/CDs more interesting...

• Mary Blair Lover

I also love vinyl. I'm only 25, but I have never not had a turntable! I was completely raised on the old Disneyland record label, which explains a lot. I currently have two. A Technics 1200 M3D and old Garrard automatic, the kind you can load with 5 records and drops each one.

The vinyl experience is different in all the ways you guys have already mentioned, (The richness of the sound, choosing sides and artists doing different things with each side, album artwork, etc). But even if none of those things appeal to you, vinyl is still essential for any music lover for the simple fact that so much, till this day, is out on vinyl that is not available in any other format. Many older recordings by very popular artists have still not been released on CD for different reasons (legal, or just reletively low demand). Sometimes vinyl releases have more or alternate tracks than their later format release. Indie labels will still release all lot of stuff on vinyl. And if you're into any sort of Dance music or music that gets club play, forget it, all of that still gets put out on vinyl (with DJs in mind), often with extended mixes or remixes that you wont find on CD. It's also a great way to discover new artists (or older artists that are new to you) because used vinyl can be so cheap. If you like what you hear, then you buy the expensive digital remasters (and hope they did a good job!) It is also easy to transfer your vinyl to a digital format, so you can have it on the go. I have most of my vinyl on my iPod.

I don't know where you are Tui, but if you are in the LA/OC area here are my recommendations:

-Amoeba Music Hollywood - This is basically the only Music store i shop at. If it's not there, i just buy online. Imagine a small indie record shop, on powerful steroids. It's huge, comparable or bigger the average virgin records store. They have a huge selection of vinyl, new and used, in almost every genre imaginable, at good prices. They have huge Dollar sections of vinyl also. And the movie section... ok, i'm sounding like a commercial, but i really love the place. I've been known to be there for hours. There also Amoebas in San Francisco and Berkley. The one in SF is good too, i've never been to the one in Berkley.

Pasadena City College Flea Market - The first sunday of every month. They have a huge section that is only vinyl. Almost all older stuff (used). Some of the vendors are not really organized, so it's kind of one of those digging through boxes and boxes all morning until your blind! But it's free and i have found lot's off great stuff.

So long story short, yes i enjoy vinyl.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When I bought my current big stereo 6 or 7 years ago, I made sure it came with a turntable. Nothing beats the hiss and pop of a record spinning... brings back many fond memories. I love going to the used record shops and coming across goodies and snagging them for cheap.

I love the smell of vinyl in the morning.

• Super saucy pixie!

Well, I'm only in my mid 20s and was also totally raised on the Disneyland record label, so I do drag those out now and then to relive some fun memories on my ultra cool tan and orange Fisher Price record player circa 1983! Check me out huh? :P

• We're number one!

I don't know why, but everytime I think about listening to vinyl, I think about one of my favorite movies: "High Fidelity". I guess it's just because John Cusacks character in the movie owns a record shop and has a vinyl collection in the movie that I would kill for!

I agree with what's already been said about Records. Most of the stuff isn't around on CD for whatever reason, so it's great to have a turntable around to play them.

Also, I like the cover artwork that becomes lost with CD's. In the case of "Chicago" I love having the albums because of the use of the variant Logo on each album. Plus if you get a recording artist to autograph an LP, its easier for display!

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    Well, I'm only in my mid 20s and was also totally raised on the Disneyland record label, so I do drag those out now and then to relive some fun memories on my ultra cool tan and orange Fisher Price record player circa 1983! Check me out huh? :P
    I really love those old Disneyland records. I still have the tan fisher-price cassette player, i recently gave it to my nephew so he can listen to my old Disneyland storybook cassettes, he's still a bit young for vinyl. I wish i still had my old record player. It was a baby blue Mickey Mouse player and the tone arm was Mickeys Arm! Well, if i still had it, it would be all tattered anyway, i wasn't very careful with my things. I've seen that they still sell new battery powered record players, so you can use them on the go. I also saw a guy at the Pasadena city college record swap with and old Big Bird record player he was using to preview records.

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by crpeoplemover
    I really love those old Disneyland records. I still have the tan fisher-price cassette player, i recently gave it to my nephew so he can listen to my old Disneyland storybook cassettes, he's still a bit young for vinyl. I wish i still had my old record player. It was a baby blue Mickey Mouse player and the tone arm was Mickeys Arm! Well, if i still had it, it would be all tattered anyway, i wasn't very careful with my things. I've seen that they still sell new battery powered record players, so you can use them on the go. I also saw a guy at the Pasadena city college record swap with and old Big Bird record player he was using to preview records.
    Oh I love those old storybook cassettes! With the "Let's begin now." and the cute little noise to turn the page! Ah, memories...

• Monorail Racer

I love my old vinyl LPs and 45s. My last turntable crapped out a few years back and I just haven't gotten around to replacing it. Despite replacing a number of the records with CDs, I just can't imagine getting rid of the records.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast