Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Dateline NBC "To Catch A Predator"

Does anyone else watch Dateline NBC's "To Catch A Predator"?

The show is hosted by Chris Hansen and he teams up with a group called "Perverted Justice" to capture child predators. They do this by having a decoy pose as a child on chat rooms and the decoy chats with older adults about "adult" topics. Then the decoy encourages this person to come over to the house, so he can be arrested.

If you do watch this show, here is my question. Do you think it is right to lure these people into a house rigged with cameras, label them as predators, and expose their identity to millions of people all over America watching the show?

I personally think that adults preying on children is very disturbing and the adults should be punished. But I don't think that putting these peoples faces on television is the right way to go.

So what are your opinions on this show?

• Banned User

Re: Dateline NBC "To Catch A Predator"

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Does anyone else watch Dateline NBC's "To Catch A Predator"?

The show is hosted by Chris Hansen and he teams up with a group called "Perverted Justice" to capture child predators. They do this by having a decoy pose as a child on chat rooms and the decoy chats with older adults about "adult" topics. Then the decoy encourages this person to come over to the house, so he can be arrested.

If you do watch this show, here is my question. Do you think it is right to lure these people into a house rigged with cameras, label them as predators, and expose their identity to millions of people all over America watching the show?

I personally think that adults preying on children is very disturbing and the adults should be punished. But I don't think that putting these peoples faces on television is the right way to go.

So what are your opinions on this show?
    they are all being prosecuted. they are booked and put into jail until they pleade out, then released on bond to stand trial or go to jail. oh and yeah I think they need there mugs all over tv, the filty things. do the nasty crime pay a high price!!

• Banned User

one more thing.... they caught a convicted child molester and the women he molested several years ago recognized him on the tv. do I think its right to show there faces? hell yes!!!

• white and nerdy

Yes I think it's right.

No matter what, it is WRONG for an adult male to want to meet a young teenage girl that he met on the internet ALONE. Perhaps shows like this will convince men who would do such a thing to think twice about it. Child predators are never so bold when they think they might get caught.

I've heard the argument that it ruins the men's lives to appear on national TV as a child predator. SO WHAT? Millions of people have ruined or severely altered lives because of what men like this do.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Yes I think it's right.

No matter what, it is WRONG for an adult male to want to meet a young teenage girl that he met on the internet ALONE. Perhaps shows like this will convince men who would do such a thing to think twice about it. Child predators are never so bold when they think they might get caught.

I've heard the argument that it ruins the men's lives to appear on national TV as a child predator. SO WHAT? Millions of people have ruined or severely altered lives because of what men like this do.
    VWS

I feel the same way. I do not feel bad that those pervs' lives could be ruin by these shows. They should have thought about that before trying to have sex with a 12 y/o boy or girl.

• I'm your huckleberry.

www.perverted-justice.com is a website EVERY parent should read, and read on a regular basis.

Being ignorant childrens' habits on the internet is disgustingly irrisponsible behavior and is setting your child up to be a victim. ARM yourself with information on how these preditors work, and what avenues they use to reach their victims. After being a dedicated reader on PJ, my daughter will never, EVER have an IM account, she's not allowed to visit chatrooms EVER, and she will never be allowed on MySpace.

I think what they do is great, and I want to see MORE of these sickos faces on TV so their neighbors know who to look out for.

Again, parents PLEASE read Perverted Justice. Education is the best way to keep your children safe from these preditors!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

South Carolina is currently concidering a new legislation that would allow the DA to seek the death penalty against these people.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• I'm your huckleberry.

They do this by having a decoy pose as a child on chat rooms and the decoy chats with older adults about "adult" topics. Then the decoy encourages this person to come over to the house, so he can be arrested.
    DW, that's not how PJ works AT ALL!!!!

The PJ volunteers lurk in chat rooms, they never, EVER initiate conversations. They NEVER initiate conversation of a sexual or adult nature. They NEVER bring up a face to face visit. The sickos do all that for them. None of these offenders would be able to be taken away in handcuffs if they were "lured" or if the decoy suggested these meetings. That's called entrapment. And that's NOT, I repeat NOT what PJ does. Please take a look at their website to get a full understanding of what they do, and the rules and regulations they follow to do it RIGHT.

Do you think it is right to lure these people into a house rigged with cameras, label them as predators, and expose their identity to millions of people all over America watching the show?
    See above. These creeps are not being lured. They're doing it to themselves. And yes, their faces should be plastered every where. If an adult male even suggests having sex with an under age child, his life should be forever ruined.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

i find these people sick....and it makes me wory 24/7 about my safety

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    South Carolina is currently concidering a new legislation that would allow the DA to seek the death penalty against these people.
    Good for them. Child molestors CANNOT be rehabilitated.

• insufferable know-it-all

Hyperbole: I personally think absolutely forbidding things like IM and myspace may be a bit much, but I could certainly see where as a parent one would want to heavily restrict and monitor, and only allow such things as "privileges" once your daughter has proven that she understands the dangers and will stick to your rules regarding who she is and is not allowed to chat/IM with or add to her myspace. Then again, it depends on how you feel your daughter can handle it. Some teens can protect themselves but others aren't such good decision makers.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Huh? Hell yes I think their faces should be on television!! Why the hell not? Other criminals and alleged criminals get their faces plastered all over the evening news, internet, etc.

These perps know exactly what they are doing, who to target, and how to go about it. Heck...if you have watched this show, they actually caught the same guy...twice on camera. And some of the people they did catch, oy vey....Rabbi, Cop, Teacher, etc...

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I don't believe there is a way to "rehabilitate" these pieces of scum that prey on kids. And the laws in many areas are far too lenient, so it is only a matter of time before they are free to hurt again.

And I've said it before and am glad pengiunsoda said it too, children and parents need to be educated and parents need to know what their kids are doing.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    DW, that's not how PJ works AT ALL!!!!

The PJ volunteers lurk in chat rooms, they never, EVER initiate conversations. They NEVER initiate conversation of a sexual or adult nature. They NEVER bring up a face to face visit. The sickos do all that for them. None of these offenders would be able to be taken away in handcuffs if they were "lured" or if the decoy suggested these meetings. That's called entrapment. And that's NOT, I repeat NOT what PJ does. Please take a look at their website to get a full understanding of what they do, and the rules and regulations they follow to do it RIGHT.

I also suggest going to PJ's website. They are very careful to NOT leave any chance that some pervert can claim entrapment. The pervert ALWAYS initiates the online conversation and ALWAYS suggests that they meet in person. It disgusts me what those pervs say to "kids" they are trying to seduce.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Hyperbole: I personally think absolutely forbidding things like IM and myspace may be a bit much, but I could certainly see where as a parent one would want to heavily restrict and monitor, and only allow such things as "privileges" once your daughter has proven that she understands the dangers and will stick to your rules regarding who she is and is not allowed to chat/IM with or add to her myspace. Then again, it depends on how you feel your daughter can handle it. Some teens can protect themselves but others aren't such good decision makers.
    I do see your point, but the way I look at it, she has zero need to use IM or chat rooms. I may feel differently when she's, say 16 or so. But I've been in chat rooms, and used IM enough that I'm pretty confident that you get exposed to some pretty icky stuff just by merit of being ON chat or IM.

The only way I would consider IM is if I set it up, I have the password, and she is set up so no one can see her online except for those I approve of.

Yeah, that sounds harsh, but how many times have you been on YIM and had some jerk send you a message like "You're hot, wanna see my dick?" I really don't want my child exposed to that BS.

Its not that I don't trust her, or I don't think she can "handle" things. I don't trust the rest of the psychos out there, and I don't think she should HAVE to prove she can "handle" these situations.

• Banned User

I think this show is quite funny. These preditors are amazing. They get all nude then they get interviewed at the spot!

I rate it 7/5 stars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast