• Feel the breeze!

Monday Night Football Moving to ESPN

In '06 it looks like Monday Night Football is going to ESPN and Sunday Night Football is going to NBC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Fairly interesting/sad if you ask me. Monday Night Football has been on ABC for a much longer period of time than I have been alive.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren
    In '06 it looks like Monday Night Football is going to ESPN and Sunday Night Football is going to NBC.
    I'd heard they were looking at moving Monday to ESPN. It is hard to establish a regular series on Monday night when it only gets to run half the year.

Didn't know they were at risk of losing Sunday night though..

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I'd heard they were looking at moving Monday to ESPN. It is hard to establish a regular series on Monday night when it only gets to run half the year.

Didn't know they were at risk of losing Sunday night though..
    They don't need Sunday Night Football ...... they have Desperate Housewives!
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• -Going Retro-

I would love to see NFL off Monday nights on ABC. It just seems easier to have all the football stuff on one channel, but what do I know. I don't even watch

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    NBC doesn't have Desperate Housewives ABC does.

I think it's sad, Monday Night Football has been on ABC FOREVER! (I am totally hearing the MNF music in my head right now! )

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Fairly interesting/sad if you ask me. Monday Night Football has been on ABC for a much longer period of time than I have been alive.
    This is horrable news for ABC... I know why they did it... But it just makes ABC more and more irrelivant...
    Check out my other blog:

• Happy Memories

What happens to the people who don't have cable? I know, it's silly to think that anyone would not have cable or satelite or something, but there are people out there who fall into this category.

• șoș Tom șoș

I hope this doesn't mean more reruns of Extreme Make-Over Home Edition or some other sappy reality show- give me more original content please.

I do like Ty though! He should host an extreme make-over on a ride at DL!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I hope this doesn't mean more reruns of Extreme Make-Over Home Edition or some other sappy reality show- give me more original content please.

I do like Ty though! He should host an extreme make-over on a ride at DL!

Or worse... Nick and Jessica's Variety Hour!!! The horror!!!
    Check out my other blog:

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    What happens to the people who don't have cable? I know, it's silly to think that anyone would not have cable or satelite or something, but there are people out there who fall into this category.
    It is looking like, while losing Monday Night Football, they would get Sunday Night Football on NBC.

You also read about a possible Thursday Night and Saturday Night package the NFL mants to do later in the season.

I can see why ABC is doing this. By allowing MNF to go to ESPN I have little doubt they hope it will be a ratings monster and allow them to continue to raise supscription fees for ESPN, which, if I recall, are by far the highest of any basic cable channel.

NBC really needs the younger viewers Sunday Night Football should bring.

Oh well, with no cable and no OTA tv this will have little effect on me. It does seem a piece of histroy has gone by the wayside though.

I winder if that means ABC will make a hard push for the planned late season Thursday or Saturday package?

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    This is a win win for both the networks. ABC can't afford to lose the block they have now. they have a pretty succesful lineup. ABC sports was disbanded a couple of years ago and to produce a sports program for them would be expensive. ESPN which is also owned by Disney gets more advertizing and can charge the cable companies even more money. They have been at odds over this issue for years. Disney will also hold the cable companies hostage. They can force smaller cable companmies to buy Toon, Soap and Disney channel, Technically speaking, more space is alotted on a tramsponder for ESPN. As for NBC, they are in fourth place in the ratings which means money is pouring out of it's wounds. NBC needs the game to promote their other shows. Whew.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    NBC doesn't have Desperate Housewives ABC does.
    That's my point. Disney, as parent of ABC and ESPN, are satisfied with MNF (ESPN) and DH (ABC) on Sunday. They don't need another ratings horse on Sunday night.

NBC gets Sunday Night football. I wonder where Al Michaels and John Madden are going .......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    NBC gets Sunday Night football. I wonder where Al Michaels and John Madden are going .......
    Personally I hope that Madden retires.

As for Al Michaels - I think he will go to ESPN. I do recall reading, somewhere, that he should take Ted Koppel's role on Nightline once Koppel retires (which is soon, if I recall correctly.)