Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Superman Returns' - our MC reviews (merged)

SO EXCITED! I'll be seeing the film later this afternoon and will share thoughts but no spoilers! Can't wait to see what you all think about it.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-27-2006 at 10:39 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: 'Superman Returns' - our MC reviews

Forget a midnight show! I'm going at 10:00 PM!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I'm going to a free screening tonight! I SO cannot wait!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• insufferable know-it-all

I'm seeing it at about 7pm (also free!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Monorail Racer

The early buzz is "very good, but not great" so far. I'll be seeing it, but not until next week or so.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Along with Demigod, Aerinpegadrak, and myself.
    Yeah yeah, you're welcome Just remember our hosts when it comes time to finance a house, k?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    SO EXCITED! I'll be seeing the film later this afternoon and will share thoughts but no spoilers! Can't wait to see what you all think about it.
    I found the film to be genuinely touching, thrilling and so very impressive.
    Bryan Singer made the right jump from his two X-Men films to this. He's not yet made a bad, boring or ordinary film and certainly tops himself here.
    As with all his films from 'Apt Pupil' and 'The Usual Suspects' on his casting is key and everyone here dazzles - some grandly and some more quietly.
    The wonderful bizarreness of a alien living among us on Earth longing to not just fit in and belong, but to protect and serve is still a fabulous concept. The usage of elements from the original film are such a treat and are very cool to be able to savor again on the big screen.

'Superman Returns' is so familiar and safe in tone, and yet so alien and modernly heroic at the same time. The sentimentality of the character doesn't hurt him at all. It makes him fly even farther and it feels like he never really left us. I hope you can enjoy the film as much or even more than I did.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    I found the film to be genuinely touching, thrilling and so very impressive.
    Bryan Singer made the right jump from his two X-Men films to this. He's not yet made a bad, boring or ordinary film and certainly tops himself here.
    As with all his films from 'Apt Pupil' and 'The Usual Suspects' on his casting is key and everyone here dazzles - some grandly and some more quietly.
    The wonderful bizarreness of a alien living among us on Earth longing to not just fit in and belong, but to protect and serve is still a fabulous concept. The usage of elements from the original film are such a treat and are very cool to be able to savor again on the big screen.

'Superman Returns' is so familiar and safe in tone, and yet so alien and modernly heroic at the same time. The sentimentality of the character doesn't hurt him at all. It makes him fly even farther and it feels like he never really left us. I hope you can enjoy the film as much or even more than I did.
    I really have to agree with all of this. This film truly pays homage to the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve (incidentally, the film is dedicated to Christopher and Dana Reeve) and to all of that movie's fans. The style, campiness and overall feel of the movie was familiar and engaging.

I really enjoyed watching it, and am actually going to see it again on Friday.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Here's my lil review, coming from someone who has seen a few of the movcies (but doesn't really remermber them) and some of the TV Shows, taken from my LJ...

Hey, I liked it. It's definitely NOT my kind of movie, and sitting 3rd row I had to close my eyes a lot during the action, but it had a decent story underneath.I was OK with the age thing, overall.
    Spoiler

First, if i'd known there had been a LONG DRAWN OUT airplane crashing scene I probably wouldn't have gone. Of course, if you're a big enough moron who thinks that attaching a space shuttle to an airplane is a GOOD idea well... And I don't understand why only one video channel would cover it or why that was pointed out? Uh and Lois would be HURTING after getting bang around like that(Along with the 5,000 other times she was banged against this throughout the movie). (As much as I saw... there was NO WAY I could watch that entire plane scene).

I also didn't understand what happened on the boat - did the kid push the piano on the bad guy? I thought it was Superman, but it wasn't... And if he is Supes kid then they didn't do a great job of explaining it. (The Kryptonite DID make him stronger though right?) And DAAAAMN what a slut Lois is - if it's been 5 years since Supes went away, well, that kid is 5 years, but if she thought it was the other guy's... (James Marsden is still HOT BTW)

So... now that crystals are in the ocean, Supes is gonna go after them, right? He has to assume that's where they are, right?

I had another question or two but I don't remember...

Oh, and I don't understand how he could be weaker on the island than when the Kryptonite was STILL in him. And how he could heal the wound yet still be technically dead? How did the kid's kiss heal him?

but I will admit that when Lois pulled the piece from him, my mouth dropped open!! There were definately a few parts I really got into!

I didn't really like Perry, Jimmy was OK. Kevin Spacey was really good.

Overall, It was a good movie. If you can suspend disbelief a little as to Clark/Lois/the kids' age, then go.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

NNL: True, there were some plot holes you could drive a truck through, like
    Spoiler
    If the chick dropped all those crystals into the ocean, why didn't they start growing? Wouldn't that disaster have been worse than the initial single crystal?

If being on the crystal island disabled Superman due to the presence of Kryptonite throughout... how come it didn't disable him when he went under the island and lifted it into space? Doesn't it make him weak as well as burn his hands?

How does Lois' non-husband NOT realize that isn't his kid? Since her s.o. is the editor's nephew, why did Superman not know him from before, or, how could she have met him so fast as to have a kid from Superman that he thinks is his?

However, I still enjoyed it. It was a little bit Castaway, a little bit Titanic, and a whole lot like Batman in both visual quality and overall enjoyable campiness.

• Circle of Ancients

As I ask with all kinds of movies like this:

Is it okay to take our kids to? They have seen all of the X-men films, Hulk, Spiderman's, etc in the theatres.

Thanks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    As I ask with all kinds of movies like this:

Is it okay to take our kids to? They have seen all of the X-men films, Hulk, Spiderman's, etc in the theatres.

Thanks.
    If they've seen those movies, are were good to go, then they can see this. Nothing I wouldn't want my kids to see (we're actually going on Sat so they can see it).

• For old time sake

I can't wait to see this movie. The main reason being Kevin Spacey. Brilliant actor. I hope it's as good as Batman Begins, because I LOVED that movie
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Lemme just say that Brandon Routh and Kevin Spacey NAILED their parts.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast