Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Beauty and the Beast - The Broadway Musical

Just out of curiousity, how many of you guys have seen this show?

I have ALWAYS wanted to see it, but alas, I live in Los Angeles and am not *that* rich. So for the folks who have seen it, did you guys like it?

What did you think of the songs "Home" and "Human Again"? How was the transformation of the Beast?

Please, I would love to hear your guy's thoughts!

Re: Beauty and the Beast - The Broadway Musical

I saw it like 9 years ago when it was still at the Palace Theatre on Broadway. I believe it's at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre now. It has since moved locations and added a new song entitled "A Change in Me." I've also heard from people who saw at the two different houses that there were a few other minor changes, but I cannot recall them at the moment.

I really enjoyed it! I thought the new songs worked well and the transformation scene was great! I also enjoyed the staging of "Gaston" and "Be Our Guest." I actually prefer it to The Lion King, but then again I've always been more of a fan of BATB than TLK.

As for you being in Los Angeles...I would imagine a city like that get regular tours of various Broadway productions coming through...doesn't it?
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    I saw it like 9 years ago when it was still at the Palace Theatre on Broadway. I believe it's at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre now. It has since moved locations and added a new song entitled "A Change in Me." I've also heard from people who saw at the two different houses that there were a few other minor changes, but I cannot recall them at the moment.

I really enjoyed it! I thought the new songs worked well and the transformation scene was great! I also enjoyed the staging of "Gaston" and "Be Our Guest." I actually prefer it to The Lion King, but then again I've always been more of a fan of BATB than TLK.

As for you being in Los Angeles...I would imagine a city like that get regular tours of various Broadway productions coming through...doesn't it?

Well actually yes. I mean I just came back from Boston because my sister is going to college there in the fall. If I really worked on it, I could probably see a show in New York.

There is the Pantages here, but only my sister has gone.

But oh well.. I actually just saw Beauty and the Beast performed by the Musical Theatre group from LACHSA (LA County Highschool for the Arts) (my current sister's school) and it was really good, but I bet the Broadway one is even better! Oh and they did have "A Change in Me" in the LACHSA version but not Human Again!

Beauty and the Beast is incredible!! It is now at the Lunt-Fontaine Theater across from Tarzan at the Richard Rogers Theater. BATB usually is on tour and is makes a stop at either Boston or Providence, so if your sister is going to school out here it would be a good excuse to visit her. But I am sure it has played the LA area too just be patient and it will come back.

• Banned User

Maybe!

Just a real quick question - how do they do the Beast's transformation or what does it look like. I heard it is AMAZING.

Oh and if any of you are wondering, my sister is going to the Boston Conservatory.

Oh, Disney Magic! Your from Boston - cool! I love Boston!

Ok, I sound like a little kid, but it is that great of a city! If Disneyland Boston ever comes along, I would move!

I worked the traveling show a couple years ago. Fabulous. I loved all the songs. "Human Again" was wonderful, as as "Be Our Guest". I loved the dancing silverware. I can still hear the voices as they sang.

The transformation mechanism didn't always work in our theater but they had a back-up plan. I never did get to see it; the tower was in my way from backstage and the camera showing front of stage was blinded by lights. However they do it it's quick. Sparkling lights, swelling music, and voila! he's the prince!

Loved the show.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Well as far as the Beast's transformation...... it is magic.

Seriously it can't be described it really has to be experienced. BATB is a must see on stage even if you don't love the move the play will make you love it. Watching the stage version was like seeing it for the very first time again.

I am not holding my breath waiting for Disneyland to come to New England anytime soon let alone Boston (no room at all). We don't even have a Disney Store anywhere in the actual city limits, and there was a great opporitunity, at the old FAO Shwartz, for them to put in a nice one possiblly like NYC's WOD but smaller. Though there were rumors a few years back about Disney interested in purchasing land Hmmmmmm.....
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 07-02-2006 at 05:54 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    Well as far as the Beast's transformation...... it is magic.

Seriously it can't be described it really has to be experienced. BATB is a must see on stage even if you don't love the move the play will make you love it. Watching the stage version was like seeing it for the very first time again.

I am not holding my breath waiting for Disneyland to come to New England anytime soon let alone Boston (no room at all). We don't even have a Disney Store anywhere in the actual city limits, and there was a great opporitunity, at the old FAO Shwartz, for them to put in a nice one possiblly like NYC's WOD but smaller. Though there were rumors a few years back about Disney interested in purchasing land Hmmmmmm.....
    Hey, I know this is a bit off thread, but Disney Magic, since you live in Boston, have you gone to the Union Oyster House?

I went there last time and it was really good.

Back on topic, thank you guys for all the insite

I know the Union Oyster House very well, however I don't like seafood so I have never been there. It is one of the most popular and historical restaurants around. Made famous by it's patrons such as Samuel Adams, Paul Revere and JFK. Actually it is the oldest continually running restaurant in USA. I work next door to it at Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I loved seeing BATH 3 years ago. It was so magical. BATB has the honor of being my first and only broadway play I have seen....well on broadway..lol

I still wish I could have seen Mamma Mia...or RENT...and I can't believe I have not purchased tickets yet for RENT since it is coming to LA soon...lol

• done

I saw a touring production that came around to the Los Angeles area in 2002 and it didn't do much for me, for many reasons. I'm told that the version that was at the Shubert was much, much better. I'd be vaguely interested in seeing it on Broadway, but when we were there in May, there were too many other things that we were interested in seeing instead.

In case anyone is interested, here's the review that I wrote.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well I have the songs "Home" & "If I Can't Love Her" on CD.

I think Susan Egan did a marvelous job singing "Home".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I have ALWAYS wanted to see it, but alas, I live in Los Angeles and am not *that* rich.
    I don't know your age but are you aware that a full scale production matching the original Broadway production was at The Shubert in Los Angeles for almost two years in the early '90s? The national touring company has been here several times since playing LA and OC.

We saw the show in London in '98 and liked it but it isn't one of my favorite musicals on stage.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    I don't know your age but are you aware that a full scale production matching the original Broadway production was at The Shubert in Los Angeles for almost two years in the early '90s? The national touring company has been here several times since playing LA and OC.

We saw the show in London in '98 and liked it but it isn't one of my favorite musicals on stage.
    The Shubert is where I saw it around 96...97?....about 3 times all told. Wonderful production! I still listen to the soundtrack to this day. Beats Lion King, imo.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    The Shubert is where I saw it around 96...97?....about 3 times all told. Wonderful production! I still listen to the soundtrack to this day. Beats Lion King, imo.
    I truly enjoyed the pop up storybook design of Beauty and The Beast, too and our party of four were overall disappointed in Lion King when we saw a preview at The Pantages. The child playing Simba was awful and except for certain scenes and the puppetry it didn't grab us like it has so many others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast