Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For You!

Movie Remakes - Did you have any idea?

Lately I am finding out that more and more films are remakes - I just watched an old version of Angels in the Outfield - I had no idea. The new was much better.

Anything you've seen lately and then realized that it was a remake of an older film?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Movie Remakes - Did you have any idea?

There are some really good remakes and some really bad ones.

Strangers on a Train was remade into Throw Momma From the Train

Romeo and Juliet became West Side Story.

Hamlet became The Lion King

Beauty and the Beast was, yep, Beauty and the Beast!

A Perfect Murder was a remake of Dial M for Murder

I can go on and on. I'm still toying with rewriting Hitchcock's North by NorthWest for a modern remake, when an innocent Joe gets accused of being a terrorist. But the government knows the truth, but says nothing--to see if he will find real terrorists.

But should we do a climax on Mount Rushmore?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• For You!

Just do something better than trying to kill the lead with a crop duster.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

arent they all remakes, i cant remember the last time that i watched a movie that wasnt already a movie. where did all of our creativity go? ill tell you where it went...it died!!

• Huh?

I recently learned that Happiness of the Katakuris was a remake of a Korean film called The Quiet Family. I like the musical remake better in the end after I saw the original.

For all you Ring fans... you might be interested that Korea remade the movie before America did: The Ring Virus. In some ways, truer to the book than the original Japanese movie was.

Mrs. Doubtfire was remade in India a couple times: Chachi 420, Avvavi Shunmagi, and a French TV remake, Madame Doubtfire. The original book, Alias Madame Doubtfire, is reccomended reading. Mrs. Doubtfire 2 is due in the US in 2007.
    -Tim

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

No. More. Remakes!

• Senior Minion

I am sick of remakes!! Everytime there is a preview for a remake movie, my dad tries to get me to watch the original, which he usually has. Are there no fresh ideas out in hollywood right now???
    Sometimes, the remake is better, sometimes worse. Case and point: Cinderella. Thousands of Cinderella movies. My favorite besides the Disney version: Ever After, A Cinderella Story. Something about it is so great.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Huh?

One remake I enjoyed more than the original: To Be or Not To Be. Like Jack Benny, but the remake just worked so much better. And it was funny.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    Romeo and Juliet became West Side Story.
    I think you are confusing adaptations with film remakes here. Film adaptations transfer a work into a film. Remakes "update" (often needlessly, but sometimes successfully) films that already exist.

The film version of West Side Story was based on the Broadway musical. The musical itself was more of a loose adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet than a remake of his original play. When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to talk about film remakes like Omen, Psycho, Father of the Bride, The Wizard of Oz, etc. not film adaptations.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    I think you are confusing adaptations with film remakes here. Film adaptations transfer a work into a film. Remakes "update" (often needlessly, but sometimes successfully) films that already exist.

The film version of West Side Story was based on the Broadway musical. The musical itself was more of a loose adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet than a remake of his original play. When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to talk about film remakes like Omen, Psycho, Father of the Bride, The Wizard of Oz, etc. not film adaptations.
    Pardonne moi, I did not realize the difference. For me, as a teacher of Shakespeare, I've used the terms interchangably! I had no idea there was a difference between adaptations and remakes.

Thanks for the information!

I believe this thread is what you think it is.

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Huh?

Technically speaking, these are the differences:

Main Entry: ad·ap·ta·tion
    Pronunciation: "a-"dap-'tA-sh&n, -d&p-
    Function: noun
    1 : the act or process of adapting : the state of being adapted
    2 : adjustment to environmental conditions: as a : adjustment of a sense organ to the intensity or quality of stimulation b : modification of an organism or its parts that makes it more fit for existence under the conditions of its environment
    3 : something that is adapted; specifically : a composition rewritten into a new form

Main Entry: 1re·make
    Pronunciation: (")rE-'mAk
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): re·made /-'mAd/; -mak·ing
    : to make anew or in a different form
    - re·mak·er /-'mA-k&r/ noun

So what's the diference? Adaptation has more meanings.
    -Tim

• șoș Tom șoș

Flight of the Navigator!

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    So what's the diference? Adaptation has more meanings.
    So then you'd lump every film that didn't have an original screenplay in the same category as films like the second versions Omen and Psycho that were essentially remade scene for scene?

I think adapting a novel, graphic novel, play, theme park attraction, musical, etc. for the first time into a film is different than remaking a movie that has already been produced years before by Hollywood. Maybe I'm not using the correct terms, but there's a distinction to my mind.

Anyhow, back to the original intent of this thread. I wasn't sure I was going to like the new version of Disney's The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, but I actually thought it was well done. I still prefer the original with Hayley Mills. I also didn't realize at first that the Eddie Murphy version of Doctor Dolittle was not the original. I still haven't seen the original.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    So then you'd lump every film that didn't have an original screenplay in the same category as films like the second versions Omen and Psycho that were essentially remade scene for scene?

I think adapting a novel, graphic novel, play, theme park attraction, musical, etc. for the first time into a film is different than remaking a movie that has already been produced years before by Hollywood. Maybe I'm not using the correct terms, but there's a distinction to my mind.
    What's the difference between adapting a novel, play, theme park attraction, etc. and adapting a screenplay? Not much...

What was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory an adaptation of? I certainly wouldn't call it a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. But many consider it a remake of that and never acknowledge the book as the pure influence for both movies and not any previous movies.

Would you call Texas Chainsaw Massacre a remake of Psycho? After all, that's essentially what it is in the terms you used since it's based on the same source material and Psycho was previously made before Texas Chainsaw Massacre was....

Planet of the Apes is another good example... clearly not a remake of Planet of the Apes by the definition you used as it tried to base itself more on the book rather than the movie, though it did acknowledge the movie that came before it (unlike Charlie).

The adaptations of any source material, whether it's been made for the screen or not, is still an adaptation, which is essentially the same thing as a remake, since in both cases you're making something previously existing and putting them in a new form.

After all, without acknowledging that the words are essentially the same, the line to draw at what is a "remake" and what you're going to call "adaptation" is a bit hard to figure out...

Besides, of the millions of film productions of Shakespear's plays, what ones do we call remakes and which ones do we call adaptations?
    -Tim

I guess I just see a bigger difference than you do Tim.

I just learned that the Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant film An Affair to Remember was a remake of an earlier film. I had no idea. I'd like to see the 1939 Love Affair with Irene Dunne.
    Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast