• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Wicked' - no film coming soon...

'Wicked' composer has no plans for film

NEW YORK, July 4 (UPI) -- The composer of "Wicked" says he is focusing on taking the Broadway hit to foreign stages and has no immediate plans for a film version.

Composer Stephen Schwartz, who also created the music for "Godspell," told Playbill.com he is now working in the classical realm.
    "I've been associated with two shows that became phenomena in my lifetime," he said. "There's a nice, neat arc to that."

He said has accepted a commission with California's Opera Santa Barbara through 2009 to create the piece, "Séance on a Wet Afternoon."
    Although, he added, he is not ruling out a return to the Broadway musical.
    "You never know when another idea like that is going to come along," he said.

As for taking "Wicked" to Hollywood, he said since Universal produced the stage show, a film appears inevitable, but right now the emphasis is on taking the show to London's West End as well as other international stages.
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-064325-9834r
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Wicked' - no film coming soon...

I'd love to see a film version, but the longer they wait it seems less likely it'll star Kristin Chenoweth and/or Idina Menzel, both of whom I'd love to see in a film version.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

it's to much in it's prime right now to make a film.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Princess of my own world

I wish they'd do a film version. I don't think it would stop people from going to Broadway to see it, but it would definetly increase sells. Especially for people like me who are unable to get tickets to any of the touring production here in CA.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    it's to much in it's prime right now to make a film.
    You got that right. I think it's got the momentum that The Phantom of the Opera used to have years ago. I had difficulty obtaining tickets for the tour when it came through Philly. Eventually, I did get them but they weren't great seats. And, I had to buy Broadway tickets many months in advance.

They typically wait until box office sales slip before making a film version of a Broadway musical... Granted, most film versions of stage musicals aren't usually as good IMHO. It's still nice to have a legal version to own, which is all I really want out of the film versions.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

if they did a film version I'd like them to do what Cats did, have it on a stage, I just can't see it filmed any other way :S

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    if they did a film version I'd like them to do what Cats did, have it on a stage, I just can't see it filmed any other way :S
    Really? With the wonderful world of Oz as the setting?!?! Oh, the possibilites with the sets and costumes alone is great! They could so turn this musical into a wonderful film w/o using a stage or a concert setting.
    Amanda

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I would love to see this as a movie. But the thing is, movie musicals just don't make money. There are a few exceptions, but look how The Producers bombed and The Phantom. Though I loved The Phantom as a movie, I don't think it made too much money. It's all about the bottom line!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I would really love to see this as a movie. I am really glad that I'll see it on stage first though- I get to go in 2 weeks!!!! But I think this is one play that could really translate 'wickedly' onto film if done right! And yes, I think seeing it starring Kristen and Idina would be amazing!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• I Hug My Tapirs

Awwww! I'm dying to see a film version of this. It's the type of show that would lend itself beautifully to film. Just showing off the land of Oz with modern-day techniques could be spectacular.

I agree, though, from a business standpoint, it'd be kinda bad timing to do it now, while tickets are selling out as fast as they're put on sale (my friend just waited 6 HOURS in line at the OCPAC a couple of weeks ago to get Wicked tickets for us). It'd be smarter to do what other Broadway shows have done and wait until the popularity starts to drop, and use the film to bring the show back to the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    I'd love to see a film version, but the longer they wait it seems less likely it'll star Kristin Chenoweth and/or Idina Menzel, both of whom I'd love to see in a film version.
    Unfortunately, it's too true... there's only so long that you can believably pull off 18-ish. Idina's said recently that she really wants to do it (I haven't read whether Kristin wants to or not), but in time they'll be moving on to other projects, too.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt
    I would love to see this as a movie. But the thing is, movie musicals just don't make money. There are a few exceptions, but look how The Producers bombed and The Phantom. Though I loved The Phantom as a movie, I don't think it made too much money. It's all about the bottom line!
    True, it is about the bottom line.
    I don't think The Phantom of the Opera movie was all that good. They casted a guy who was too good looking to play the Phantom and he couldn't sing all that well. I, and many others, were less than impressed with the final product.
    How did Chicago do financially? I know it won the Academy Award for Best Picture, but I'm not sure about its commercial success. I think Chicago did an excellent job whereas POTO and Rent kinda fell flat. I know people who are NOT musicals fans at all that even enjoyed Chicago. I enjoyed The Producers but, I didn't get the impression it was in that many theatres for that long. I saw it Christmas Day. I would have seen it again with someone else, but it wasn't available to see. Not to mention I don't think it got promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Unfortunately, it's too true... there's only so long that you can believably pull off 18-ish. Idina's said recently that she really wants to do it (I haven't read whether Kristin wants to or not), but in time they'll be moving on to other projects, too.
    I think Idina has a bit more time than Kristen for trying to pull off 18ish. Then again, Madonna had to pull off 15 as Eva Peron when Madonna herself was in her late 30s. Whether Madonna was successful or not is up to the audience...
    Amanda

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I actually don't want to see this made into a movie. Most modern movie musicals are disasters. Chicago succeeded because it retained the theatricality and feel of a stage production. When they try and take a musical and place it in the "real world" they usually don't work. Musicals work on stage because the audience comes in with a different mindset than they do when they watch a movie. They don't always believe on screen what they would on stage. Take Phantom- it was a dissapointing film because what was so spectacular and mind boggling on stage falls flat on the big screen.

Anyways, let the stage production enjoy the success it has, some things are only meant to be seen in a certain medium. Would seeing the Time Dragon come to life really look as cool at the cineplex?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Actually, I think it could be really interesting to do the book (non-musical) version of it, too. That one fascinated me! Elphaba was a very different person in the book, IMHO - the musical really "Disney-ified" her. Galinda, too. And come on, I'd never complain about getting to see Nanny in a Wicked movie, because she was teh awesome.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• insufferable know-it-all

Ya beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing! They could totally do the book right now, and do the musical later.

Also, I didn't think that the musical was so "theatrical" that it wouldn't translate well to film... Chicago is a much more "theatrical" musical. Wicked's music would translate to film MUCH easier, IMHO.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...