• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Woman falls, hits head after Mission: Space - Orlando Sentinel, 7/11/06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...adlines-orange

A 35-year-old woman fell and lost consciousness after getting off Mission: Space at Epcot on Monday night, authorities said.

The woman, who was described only as a "local," was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center about 8:30 p.m. by the hospital's helicopter in "serious, improving condition" authorities said.

By 11:30 p.m., Disney World officials said the woman was being "treated and released."

The woman had been getting off Epcot's 3-year-old spaceflight-simulator ride and talking to bystanders when she "fell from a standing position," hit her head and was briefly unconscious, said Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department. It's unclear why she fell, Jones said.

When rescue crews arrived, she had regained consciousness but was not completely alert and had tingling in her arms and hands, Jones said.

An ORMC helicopter landed on a pad behind The Land Pavilion at Epcot. Jones said rescue workers reported that she was becoming more alert and regaining sensation in her arms and hands as she was being flown to the hospital.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• e komo mai

Re: Woman falls, hits head after Mission: Space - Orlando Sentinel, 7/11/06

Boy, that ride has bad juju, I tell you what.

• Circle of Ancients

It couldn't have been because it was 90+ degrees in Orlando or anything yesterday right.

• e komo mai

True. She could have been totally dehydrated. It's easy to get that way in the summer. Bleh.

• Disney Memory Maker

As far as I'm concerned a woman was dizzy, hit her head & fell. The only reason this is making headlines is because this is Mission: Space. I see no evidence to prove MS had any effect on this (except maybe the spinning causing her to become dizzy).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

We have had PLENTY of occasions at Magic Mtn or Knott's or even Disneyland getting off a spinny ride when it's HOT and feeling dizzy.

It's called not drinking enough fluids.

• Minion

They publish stuff like this, "In the 12 months after Daudi died, paramedics were called to Mission: Space to treat 194 people, according to Reedy Creek Fire Department records. The most common complaints were dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Yet 25 people passed out, 26 suffered difficulty breathing, and 16 reported chest pains or irregular heartbeats." which is interesting info, but doesn't tell us the whole story. It doesn't tell us how M:S compares to other rides. Seems to me that's a very important piece of the puzzle that always seems to get left out in these articles.

• Santa Barbara, CA

It would be funny if she rode on the side that didn't spin.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Circle of Ancients

^ LOL

Going back to Pacha's Post ...

In the 12 months after Daudi died, paramedics were called to Mission: Space to treat 194 people, according to Reedy Creek Fire Department records. The most common complaints were dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Yet 25 people passed out, 26 suffered difficulty breathing, and 16 reported chest pains or irregular heartbeats
    Okay, if 25 people passed out in the previous 12 months, why is this one so special that it deserves an article? Just because she happened to hit her head?

• Minion

I hate the news. Here's a poll taken from dumb people, who skim through articles...

Should Disney change anything about the ride?Yes, alter it or the riding requirements49%Yes, get rid of it30%No21%Total Votes: 40,727Note on Poll Results

Do you want to ride "Mission: Space"?No54%Yes, and I would32%Yes, but I wouldn't14%Total Votes: 40,000Note on Poll Results

Quote Originally Posted by AOL News
    A woman lost consciousness while getting off a Walt Disney World ride, which two people have died on in the past 13 months, authorities said.
    Of the whole article, one sentence tells you that the people died of pre-existing causes. Of course, the general public doesn't rid to the end, or if they do, they don't comprehend very well...

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...11082809990001

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

it wasn't ME.

*gets dizzy*

• Disney Memory Maker

Hmmmm, so I wonder... if I get off the teacups, fall down & hit my head, will it make it into the Sentinel? Anyone willing to bet money on it.

If the media wants to post negativity, there is so much else to write about.
    In the time this was posted, 162 people died from smoking.
    254 people died from Heart Diseases.
    40 people died from some type of accident.
    Why can't they report on that instead of something as small as this (where they don't even know if it has anything remotely to do with the ride)?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney