•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

'Global Warming, what you need to know"

Tom Brokaw hosted this program tonight on the dicovery channel, it will be replayed July 22. Check www.Discoverychannel.com for details.

Anyone watch it? What did you think?

(And lets Keep the Politics OUT of this thread)
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• white and nerdy

Re: 'Global Warming, what you need to know"

I watched it.

I would have liked more explanation on their sources, as well as a peer reviewed bibliography of some sort. Frankly I thought it was just a bunch of scary images mixed with one side of a very two sided argument. to pretend it didn't have a very real agenda is a bit nieve.

I know this show wasn't for the academic crew, it was for the masses who will believe anything Tommy talks about.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    it was for the masses who will believe anything Tommy talks about.
    Yeah, i know attacking the messanger is always a sure fire way to prove you are right... and all those scientists they talked to and about...or the 937 studies.. all wrong...lol.

I saw an intersting Interview with Brokaw about this show. He was Amazed at the opposition he recieved. From the White House (Refusing to be interviewed) and his original Idea to have NBC show it was met with a door slammed shut buy NBC's owner General Electric. 3 scientists who are outspoken on this issue have had their federal funds threatened, and 2 of the universities they work at, have been threatened also to have federal funds revoked if they continue their resaerch.

However, IT WILL BE REPLAYED THIS SATURDAY AT 8 ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL... I Hope some more of you watch it, and tell us what you think.
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 07-20-2006 at 01:54 AM.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    II would have liked more explanation on their sources, as well as a peer reviewed bibliography of some sort. Frankly I thought it was just a bunch of scary images mixed with one side of a very two sided argument. to pretend it didn't have a very real agenda is a bit nieve.
    It’s called the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which involves thousands of scientists from over 120 countries who develop detailed reports on climate change. Their most recent report (from 2001) was reviewed by more than 1,000 top experts, including so-called “climate skeptics” and representatives from industry. Here’s what they concluded:
    There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.
    The IPCC predicts that global warming will increase temperatures worldwide between 2.5 and 10.4 degrees Fahrenheit between 1990 and 2100 if no action is taken to reduce greenhouse gases. This amount of warming, according to the IPCC, could raise sea levels by as much as three feet. That’s extraordinarily dangerous.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I didn't see that as we don't have the Discovery Channel (damn cheap cable!) but I did make a point of going to see An Inconvenient Truth. I assume they talk about the same things.

It's got me pretty scared, especially since my family is doing everything we can, it's sort of depressing to see other people not really caring.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

The Apathy is rather amazing.... people will even go as far as being obstinate on the topic. The American Oil Industry has done a fantastic job in the propaganda Dept., and some politicians have backed that up.

It's like a 16 year old barreling down the road at 100 MPH thinking they are invincible. Hang On.... as we pass the blinking lights telling us the bridge is out... and no one notices.