Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Ducks Are No Longer "Mighty", and their "Pond" will soon be gone...

In case you missed it, the Anaheim Ducks (no longer "Mighty") won't be skating on a "Pond" this October...there's a new "Accord" in Anaheim...

The "Pond" becomes the "Honda Center" this fall.

Just doing my "Civic" duty...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: The Ducks Are No Longer "Mighty", and their "Pond" will soon be gone...

It won't be long till they are the "Betas" at "Google Center"
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    It won't be long till they are the "Betas" at "Google Center"
    Will they have a multi-screen "Googleplex" as part of that Arena?
    -Tim

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

My husband and I were talking about this earlier today. Sounds like the contract is up with Arrowhead. I am looking forward to seeing imporvements to the arena now that they have an influx of cash from a new sponsor.

One of my concerns as a superstitious sports fan is the impact two changes will have on the Ducks this coming season. If you believe the superstitions, a change to a team can do wonders for their win percentages, or it can send a team's record to the basement of a league. I am hopeful that this will not slow the momentum the Ducks had at the end of this past season.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Will they have a multi-screen "Googleplex" as part of that Arena?
    Yes, but you won't have to "search" long for your car!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    One of my concerns as a superstitious sports fan is the impact two changes will have on the Ducks this coming season. If you believe the superstitions, a change to a team can do wonders for their win percentages, or it can send a team's record to the basement of a league. I am hopeful that this will not slow the momentum the Ducks had at the end of this past season.
    Like with the Angels, perhaps? In 2001 they finished 41 games out of first place.

Before the 2002 season (Disney's last as their owner) they got rid of those ugly, ugly ugly periwinkle blue uniforms and changed into the classic red...and while that was hardly the only change, they went from 41 out to 99 wins and a World Series title...and they've been competitive ever since...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

My husband and I were talking about this earlier today. Sounds like the contract is up with Arrowhead. I am looking forward to seeing imporvements to the arena now that they have an influx of cash from a new sponsor.

Superstitions!? Who needs superstitions when you have the high and mighty Chris Pronger?
    Can't believe you gave up an up and coming star like Joffrey Lupul for that old useless fogey, especially since you already have one of the best d-men in the league with Scott Niedermayer!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    Superstitions!? Who needs superstitions when you have the high and mighty Chris Pronger?
    Can't believe you gave up an up and coming star like Joffrey Lupul for that old useless fogey, especially since you already have one of the best d-men in the league with Scott Niedermayer!
    Hey Splash! good to see you again.

I have always thought that hockey players, at least, if not fans were about the most superstitious people around...Agree with you on the Pronger move...not exactly an "Excel"-lent one...(Honda Center, get it)...

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Like with the Angels, perhaps? In 2001 they finished 41 games out of first place.
    The first team that popped into my head was the Denver Broncos. Ever the bridesmaid never the bride, their unfulfilled quest for a super bowl win seemed as if it would never end.

Then came the 1997/98 season. They changed into their "predominently orange" uniforms with sleaker design, and they win not one but two super bowls. Since moving to the impresssive, but not quite the same, Invesco Field at Mile High, the Broncos have yet to repeat their glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    Finally someone who agrees with me! My husband keeps equating the Pronger for Lupul trade to when the Avs acquired Ray Bourque, but I think that the Ducks should have kept Lupul. It is really hard to come by a player who can dominate in the playoffs. The Ducks will be missing him when they go golfing with the rest of the teams who don't make the playoffs next season.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

is there anyone out there that won't call it the Pond still anyways?

as for superstitions, the Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1987 after changing to new unis, the Tampa Bay Buccs won the Super Bowl after getting new unis, the Houston Oilers went to the Super Bowl only after they moved to Tennessee and changed their name to Titans, the same with the Cleveland Browns who won the Super Bowl after moving to Baltimore and becoming the Ravens. As for a negative one, the Minnesota North Stars changed their unis from green to black with a new logo and two years later they were the Dallas Stars, of course they won the Stanley Cup...but that never happened in my world
    There are many more out there, but those are the ones that came to mind.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Happy Memories

Anybody else sick of the corporate naming of sport/event complexes?! It makes me nuts. Sometimes because they change it from a more nuetral name which represents tyhe location or the teams that play there. Sometimes because it makes the place dfifficult to find if your map still lists it under the old corporate sponsor's name. If the corporation must be mentioned, they should keep the nuetral, well-known name and simply at the sponsor to it. (ex.. The Thunder Dome becomes Tropicana Thunder Dome as opposed to Tropicana Field)

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Anybody else sick of the corporate naming of sport/event complexes?! It makes me nuts. Sometimes because they change it from a more nuetral name which represents tyhe location or the teams that play there. Sometimes because it makes the place dfifficult to find if your map still lists it under the old corporate sponsor's name. If the corporation must be mentioned, they should keep the nuetral, well-known name and simply at the sponsor to it. (ex.. The Thunder Dome becomes Tropicana Thunder Dome as opposed to Tropicana Field)
    I never liked it in the first place, but it's reality in this endless revenue-stream driven world we live in...

Since 2000, the San Francisco Giants have played at...PacBell Park, SBC Park, and now A T and T Park...just an example of the madness. At least the Angels play at "Angel Stadium" but that's only after Edison decided not to renew their agreement...

--Barry

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I told myself for a long time that no matter what, I would refer to the Broncos' new stadium as "Mile High" despite the Invesco Field in front of the name. After having seen the stadium in person, it is just not the same thing.

NO GOATS!

• Banned User

Wink Re: The Ducks Are No Longer "Mighty", and their "Pond" will soon be gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    If the corporation must be mentioned, they should keep the nuetral, well-known name and simply at the sponsor to it. (ex.. The Thunder Dome becomes Tropicana Thunder Dome as opposed to Tropicana Field)
    The stadium became a field cause baseball came... domes are for football... now if you want confusing.. remember the Ice Palace to St. Pete Times Forum.... Located in the heart of City of Tampa... 30 miles from the city of St. pete... Evil newspaper.. (Which i get every morning..)

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Finally someone who agrees with me! My husband keeps equating the Pronger for Lupul trade to when the Avs acquired Ray Bourque, but I think that the Ducks should have kept Lupul. It is really hard to come by a player who can dominate in the playoffs. The Ducks will be missing him when they go golfing with the rest of the teams who don't make the playoffs next season.
    Whats more is Oiler fans feel they were ripped off in the deal. I don't really think it was good for either side, of course the Oilers didn't want to give up Pronger in the first place. Not their fault nobody likes to play in Edmonton.

Speaking of which, the Oilers are in some trouble for this upcoming season. There really isn't anyone out there to replace both Pronger and Spacek. Their young guys aren't even close to being ready to filling those shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast