Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: LADY IN THE WATER mixed reviews

My sister just saw it tonight and she said it was pretty good.

Really, you can't judge your opinion on critics.

They usually tend to LOVE terrible movies and HATE really good movies.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Still haven't made up my mind completely on this one now. Yes, I loved Sixth Sense, loved Signs, liked a lot The Village. So what to do. Here is another review which is in the "do not like" category.

http://www.screenit.com/ourtake/2006...the_water.html

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

If you liked The Village and Signs (which in my opinion, are Shyamalan's WORST work), they you'll enjoy Lady in the Water.

Go see it

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm
    ok, MY opinion, read it if you like or what ever.

I liked it....and all them other people that always complain about his movies and their lack of this or too much of that.....if you don't like shyamalan's movies, don't go see them, if you do, enjoy them cause i love his movies, i love the village, despite everyones criticism and i love this one too! it's summer, you ca't expect much, not to mention, most people now go to "horror" or "thriller" movies to see blood and guts, but that's not what night is about...just watch some interviews with him, he says he loves the 50's "don't see it, just used your imagination" stuff....
    As much as I agree that blood and guts has been the downfall of the american horror genre, I truly don't believe Shyamalan to be the cure. His stories are too contrived, filled with plotholes and at times just ripoffs of previous material. There is very little actually original about his films.

I'm a huge horror fan myself and if you want good horror based on mood, characters and actual story you should really look into Japanese and asian horror in general. Films like "Ringu", "Dark Water", "The Eye", "Audition" (Although I tend to argue Audition is really a romance film at heart) "Boogiepop and Others", "St. John's Wort" where the horror is more in what you don't see rather than what you do have been the saving grace of the genre as a whole. It's no wonder american studios are picking up the rights to remakes of these films, although unfortunately their appeal was actually lost in translation (Especially in Dark Water's case, where from being a story about how deep a mothers love can be it turned into a 90-minute film that tried to showcase Jennifer Connelly's acting ability).

I'd even recommend "Battle Royale" if you can stand the violence just because it's a film with violence and blood, but it's not what the film is about. It really does have an amazing message to it.

Personally I don't watch a lot of american films nowadays for this reason. Most of what we get are re-makes, sequels and material based on other material. Asian filmmaking and anime storytelling in general is still fresh, although I agree not everything is gold. There are always a few rotten apples in the bunch.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Again! Again! Again!

Sixth Sense was awesome. I thought Signs was good. I had a combination of everything. However, Unbreakable, IMHO, was crap. I turned it off. And The Village...meh.

I just got back from Lady in the Water and I liked it. I didn't think it was bad, but definitely better than Unbreakable and The Village. I'm still sticking with every other movie of his sucking hard core. So, I'm not looking forward to the next one. I was entertained. It also had no "twist" in it, but I read that he wasn't going for that this time.

Oh well, to each his own. If you haven't seen it and are curious, spend the cash on a matinee. I know it's not much difference, but....And I felt I didn't waste my money today.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I was entertained. That's all I ask for really. Well, that plus the air conditioning. I felt it was lacking in suspense, which has been Shymalan's strongest point in his films. I couldn't get into the urgency of the situation and why everyone in the movie would be motivated to help so easily. Like, none of the neighbors balked or asked questions or anything.

That said, yes, he was quite good in the movie. I don't not like him. I just think it's weird that he puts himself in his own movies. It's just something that's bothered me since Pulp Fiction, which is why I found the Tarantino comparison to be interesting.
    A signature should go here.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

the only movie i didnt like from M. knight was unbreakable. signs was good, the village was great, and i think M. knight is a great writer and director. I'm hoping that lady in the water will be like the village in the way that when the village was over, in the movie theatre i looked back and looked and heard everyone's reaction, and it was mixed, some people were upset cuz they thought it was going to be scary, and others thought it was brilliant because they got it. I plan to go see lady in the water this week, and if it's not good in my eyes, oh well, every director ends up doing a bad movie in their lives

• love my friends

i saw it and liked it.. it was a bit suspensful in a few scenes.. I would say this is sort of a fantasy film

but I really enjoyed it alot

Friends for life

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Interesting that Unbreakable seems to be Shyamalan's least-favorite work with some of you MiceChatters - I am on the other side of the camp. I think after The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable is his best to date.

Hmm..

I thought Signs was absolutely laughable - and the fact that the aliens landed and invaded a planet that is 3/4 water - COME ON! Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, the aliens weren't even scary looking - they were just the stereotypical Hollywood-style Aliens. Meh.

And the Village - don't even get me started on the Village. The film was beautiful and had an incredible story and plot, but the twist was so pathetic, that it totally ruined the movie.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I'm am now moving Unbreakable up on my Netflix list. I haven't seen it and now I'm curious. The main reason why I liked Signs at all was due to the suspense- he barely gave away anything and kept the viewer going for so long. And then the aliens looked like crazy Sleestaks, so that was a let down. But up until then, it was great!
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

I thought it was alright, it tried to explain itself so much to the point that it made no sense. But besides that it was pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12