Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

LADY IN THE WATER mixed reviews

So, should I go see this movie? Is it worth my time and money?

I have heard that some people are giving this a good review and that it is worth going to but so far all the reviews I've read have been negative. I am really torn on this one.

Has anyone seen it? What did you think; is it a or a

• Stitch <3

Turn right, go straight, take a left. Keep going. Keep going. Duck! Turn around, right. Found me! :)

Re: LADY IN THE WATER mixed reviews

I haven't seen it because it isn't out in canada yet but i am going, that is a fact. If i cant go im renting it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

The highest rating yet over at Yahoo is a B-. Plenty of C's, D's and a couple of F's. Yikes.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I just saw Lady in the Water... And I'm not sure how to react to it.
    I'm going to put this in a spoilers box, just in case... I didn't give away too much... but I do mention things that you might not want to hear about yet.... You've been warned.

Spoiler
    M. Night has a bigger cameo in it than his other movies and is a substantial player in the events. That said, he stole the scenes he was in. I think he was the most human character in the film - the rest were stereotyped or bizarre, lower-income minorities in a run-down apartment complex. Shyamalan's character shows real insecurity in his work and the need for a guiding force.

In the end, Lady in the Water's climax is a big - meh. I'm sure something much more clever than a party with a live band could have been cooked up. I don't know if this weak idea was cooked up to show something that these people might've done if these were real events, but since we all know its not real, I'd prefer something a bit more clever. Nevertheless, I was on the edge of my seat when the Narf was on the brink of doom.

Again, I'd like to point out Shyamalan's acting in this film. Its truly one of the main things that truly felt compelling in it. Also, Bryce Dallas Howard's premonitions of the future were compelling. Speaking of Howard, its interesting that she is the title character but isn't really the focus of the film. In fact, I'm not quite sure what the focus was. Is it her? Is it Paul Giamatti's character? Is it M Night's character? I don't know. Maybe we're just supposed to get a message from it: that something in this world needs to change.

Hmm.

I liked M. Night's first two films tremendously: The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were wonderful, to me, and I felt the otherwise cheap, stereotypical Hollywood aliens in Signs were an incredible let down, and despite the texture and feel of The Village, it was a complete laughing stock. Of course, these are my opinions, so it really boils down to your preference.

Lady in the Water isn't scary. I don't believe it was meant to be scary. Its more of a suspense, than anything, I suppose. If you're going to see this film for thrills, don't go. You won't get them, and you'll be incredibly disappointed. I went going in knowing that this wasn't another typical Shyamalan "scary" movie. The creature design is interesting, but nothing spectacular. I wasn't laughing at "dog" creature like I was laughing at the Aliens in Signs or "Those We Don't Speak Of" in The Village. The eagle wasn't cheesy - I was thinking it would come off as totally cheesy/lame like the Eagles in the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, but it was fine. The monkey creatures at the end were kind of laughable though.

Anyway, I went to the 4:15 showing. The theater didn't fill up. Maybe it was still too early in the day. Or maybe after The Village, audiences are bored of Shyamalan's style.

Who knows? But what I do know was that a showing of Pirates of the Caribbean was posted as SOLD OUT when I bought my ticket for Lady. Also, there were lines forming for the next showings of Pirates of the Caribbean when I left the theater. Third weekend in release, and shows are STILL selling out and lines are STILL forming.

Absolutely insane.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 07-22-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Staff Member of VMK

Dont See it ok, trust me I saw it it is bad
    The World Takes Sides. By Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins Performed by Richard Ferrone "People who find a way to make problems worse than they are, why..! those people are not true friends but villians!!".-Brian Holder

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi
    Dont See it ok, trust me I saw it it is bad
    Oh, come on. If you're going to say it's bad, at least give your reasons why you think it's bad.

| | |

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I wasted some money on today. It was scattered, never really went anywhere....kind of Blah....

I'm beginning to think Shyamalan is another Tarintino, considered brilliant after one or two hit films never to deliver again...
    Last edited by PanTheMan; 07-22-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

I haven't seen it yet. I don't have high hopes....it currently has a 22% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13880171/site/newsweek/

Yeah...that about sums up one feeling I had...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    I'm beginning to think Shyamalan is another Tarintino, considered brilliant after one or two hit films never to deliver again...
    This is an interesting comparison, especially since they both like to be in their own movies. For some reason, I think that is so pompous, like "I wrote this, I'm directing it...nobody could possibly play this part except for ME!" Maybe he should concentrate more on the writing, or the directing, or the acting, but not all at once. Few can pull that off successfully.
    A signature should go here.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Thank you for your input everyone. I'm still wavering though I think I am leaning toward not going. Maybe when it hits the cheap $2 theater or when it comes out on DVD and its at the library.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.
    This is an interesting comparison, especially since they both like to be in their own movies. For some reason, I think that is so pompous, like "I wrote this, I'm directing it...nobody could possibly play this part except for ME!" Maybe he should concentrate more on the writing, or the directing, or the acting, but not all at once. Few can pull that off successfully.
    I don't think thats entirely fair. Lady in the Water is the first Shyamalan film that Shyamalan actually had a substantial role. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he chose to have a bigger role in the film because its a bedtime story he made up for his daughters, and this film probably means the most to him on a personal level.

Shyamalan might be pompous, arrogant, or whatever. I dont know, but I don't think he gave himself 2-second cameos in his other films because he though nobody else could play those parts except for him.

| | |

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I don't think thats entirely fair. Lady in the Water is the first Shyamalan film that Shyamalan actually had a substantial role. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he chose to have a bigger role in the film because its a bedtime story he made up for his daughters, and this film probably means the most to him on a personal level.

Shyamalan might be pompous, arrogant, or whatever. I dont know, but I don't think he gave himself 2-second cameos in his other films because he though nobody else could play those parts except for him.

• Minion

Blog Entries

ok, MY opinion, read it if you like or what ever.

I liked it....and all them other people that always complain about his movies and their lack of this or too much of that.....if you don't like shyamalan's movies, don't go see them, if you do, enjoy them cause i love his movies, i love the village, despite everyones criticism and i love this one too! it's summer, you ca't expect much, not to mention, most people now go to "horror" or "thriller" movies to see blood and guts, but that's not what night is about...just watch some interviews with him, he says he loves the 50's "don't see it, just used your imagination" stuff....

so anyway, my question to you, did you at least like 2 of his previous 4 movies? if yes, go see it and don't try to think too hard.....

if no, wait until HBO cause your just gonna say how bad it is once your back....

and BTW, he's a great actor in this one, i love the character!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm
    ok, MY opinion, read it if you like or what ever.

I liked it....and all them other people that always complain about his movies and their lack of this or too much of that.....if you don't like shyamalan's movies, don't go see them, if you do, enjoy them cause i love his movies, i love the village, despite everyones criticism and i love this one too! it's summer, you ca't expect much, not to mention, most people now go to "horror" or "thriller" movies to see blood and guts, but that's not what night is about...just watch some interviews with him, he says he loves the 50's "don't see it, just used your imagination" stuff....

so anyway, my question to you, did you at least like 2 of his previous 4 movies? if yes, go see it and don't try to think too hard.....

if no, wait until HBO cause your just gonna say how bad it is once your back....

and BTW, he's a great actor in this one, i love the character!
    I agree, Shyamalan is a great actor - he stole every scene he was in!

| | |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast