Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

Quick imaginering.. Now’s your chance to spend a lot of cash on new attractions... i mean..

Welcome to Disneyland... Now.. Why did he get announced for DL so fast.. yet WDW still has Al reporting to himself?

• Briggha Blazini

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

Yo yo. This is straight wack.

• Banned User

just my opinion but i think mr lassetter and the premier were two big reasons mr. quimmett took another job.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cander1755
    Yo yo. This is straight wack.

Hold on.. let me get out my Ebonics to English Dictionary so I can understand this post.....
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    just my opinion but i think mr lassetter and the premier were two big reasons mr. quimmett took another job.
    Who's Mr. Quimmett?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

An accounting/finance background isn't automatically a bad thing nor should it be taken as such. But DL is unique and can't be viewed simply thru a prism of numbers, brand awareness and synergy.

My gut, without further checking, says that Matt knew for a while he was going to be pushed out due to philosophical differences and personal animus with someone higher up (you figure out who).

Matt had an awful lot of power for someone in his position. When he wasn't happy about things, he wasn't afraid to call Burbank and ask for Bob to come down to Anaheim and open the pursestrings.

That Starwood would want him is no surprise. He's done a terrific job at every stop on the exec trail, especially with Disney's cruise line.

But knowing how these things play out behind the scenes, it sounds to me like he saw the writing on the wall, put out feelers and then left. Suddenly.

I don't know much about Ed. But when you see where he worked and at what times and what happened quality-wise, you can't help but have concerns. Especially with so much in flux in Burbank and Glendale regarding DCA's future.

Some of the fanboys/gals might get all excited by his brief tenure in Tokyo, but remember OLC has the power there despite what you may think. And yet, TDL regulars have noted some of the same trends we've seen in the US parks the past decade as far as slipping standards, entertainers being massively let go, tired shows and parades running endlessly, characters being shoved where they shouldn't be etc ... and Ed's times in Florida saw the parks on a steady downward spiral.

I can't help but feel like Captain Rex ... 'I've got a very bad feeling about this.'

<<On a recent trip to Walt Disney Imagineering, I had the opportunity to look at the future of the Disneyland Resort through the lens of an Imagineer, and I left that session with a big smile on my face — but knowing that I'd have to watch this magic play out from a distance.>>

I find this graph very interesting.

I'm wondering if his farewell was vetted by Burbank or just sent out.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I don't know much about Ed. But when you see where he worked and at what times and what happened quality-wise, you can't help but have concerns. Especially with so much in flux in Burbank and Glendale regarding DCA's future.

Some of the fanboys/gals might get all excited by his brief tenure in Tokyo, but remember OLC has the power there despite what you may think. And yet, TDL regulars have noted some of the same trends we've seen in the US parks the past decade as far as slipping standards, entertainers being massively let go, tired shows and parades running endlessly, characters being shoved where they shouldn't be etc ... and Ed's times in Florida saw the parks on a steady downward spiral.

I can't help but feel like Captain Rex ... 'I've got a very bad feeling about this.'
    This is precisely why I would like to better understand Ed's role with TDR versus the controling stake of OLC.

I'm somewhat unnerved by the sudden revelation of this news, especially in correlation with the announcement of major layoffs in WDC. The two things combined show a weakness in the company as a whole which may not bode well.

I'm hoping Ed can fill Ouimet's shoes nicely, and put the same heartfelt work into the Parks. I'm waiting with somewhat baited breath to see if that will be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Now.. Why did he get announced for DL so fast.. yet WDW still has Al reporting to himself?
    The difference is that Matt left the company, Al didn't. They didn't need a replacement for him quickly because he's still there.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Who's Mr. Quimmett?
    I think he's referring Button Gwinnett, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
    Yes, it has no relevance to this thread.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

So has Mr. Grier put out a statement yet?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hate to see Ouimet go. Just the same, Ed Grier may end up every bit as effective and hands-on as Matt. If given the chance, accoutaneers can possess just as much creativity and backbone as anyone else. Let's hope that plans to change the face of DCA are carried out, along with a commitment to build the previously announced third park (although details and a name were not disclosed).
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

The DL resort has been in over drive since BEFORE the 50th began. I attribute this to Matt's touch at the parks making sure quality was restored and kept up. Now with the 50th coming to a close in September the new sherrif in town will have a heavy burden to match the success of Disneyland during Matt's reign. Basically all these boards have been gushing at their HTML seams telling of all the successes at DL the same way they beat DL down for it's poor upkeep amongst other failures. If Ed Grier reverts DL back to the days of Pressler then he will hear it here first. Big Al won't sit still for that and personally I don' think the suits will be happy if the massive pot of gold they have been dipping into suddenly becomes too light in it's load. It's just about time for our revered Al to have another column and I am sure he will not be coy in his opinion of this move. Be watching on Thursday when Al usually post.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Welcome to Disneyland... Now.. Why did he get announced for DL so fast.. yet WDW still has Al reporting to himself?
    Congratulations to Mr. Grier.

Any idea when they will name a replacement for Weiss at WDW?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

If you are new to MiceChat, and looking for other threads about the news, I've compiled the best threads here:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32057
    -Monorail Man

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast