Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

The appointment of Ed Grier is not the end of civilization (or Disneyland) as we know it. Grier is an excellent choice to helm Disneyland. He has over 25 years experience with Disney parks, surviving all the tumult from pre- to post-Eisner. That says a lot to me about the man's dedication, loyalty and resilience.

Also, let's not forget that while Disneyland is no longer Matt's park, it's still very much part of Bob's company. Iger's not likely to allow the gains Disneyland has made during the last few years to be squandered, and certainly not with Lasseter and Jobs applying their influence.

While Matt Ouimet will be missed, it's still business as usual at the Happiest Place on Earth. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    The appointment of Ed Grier is not the end of civilization (or Disneyland) as we know it. Grier is an excellent choice to helm Disneyland. He has over 25 years experience with Disney parks, surviving all the tumult from pre- to post-Eisner. That says a lot to me about the man's dedication, loyalty and resilience.

Also, let's not forget that while Disneyland is no longer Matt's park, it's still very much part of Bob's company. Iger's not likely to allow the gains Disneyland has made during the last few years to be squandered, and certainly not with Lasseter and Jobs applying their influence.

While Matt Ouimet will be missed, it's still business as usual at the Happiest Place on Earth. I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor
    If Jay Rasulo is a penny pincher, how come projects like Expedition Everest & Mission: Space were greenlit (projects which had gigantic costs)?
    I know we're living in a Brave New World, but there is no need to rewrite history. Both these attractions were approved pre-Rasulo. Rasulo has never green-lit an E-ticket for the domestic parks.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    Great they put an Accountant in charge of Disneyland! Looks like Disneyland is making a U-Turn back to the Pressler days.
    Given that Matt Ouimet was also a CPA (licensed in Florida) and Pressler was not, what point exactly are you trying to make?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    These are nerve-wracking times...

- A post-50th Media blitz that has no backbone
    - The famed Disneyland President leaving
    - A replacement exec with little known about him
    - A still entirely problematic theme park
    - Problematic areas of the original Disneyland
    - A Pixar exec in Imagineering who hasn't been that savior of Disneyland that everybody had claimed he would be.

.... I'm scared.
    yea I hope this situation plays out like the edning of POTC 2....A former employee will return to SAVE US ALL his name is.....

PAUL PRESSLER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    yea I hope this situation plays out like the edning of POTC 2....A former employee will return to SAVE US ALL his name is.....

PAUL PRESSLER!

I would laugh my a-- off ........................... then start crying...

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    These are nerve-wracking times...

- A post-50th Media blitz that has no backbone
    - The famed Disneyland President leaving
    - A replacement exec with little known about him
    - A still entirely problematic theme park
    - Problematic areas of the original Disneyland
    - A Pixar exec in Imagineering who hasn't been that savior of Disneyland that everybody had claimed he would be.

.... I'm scared.
    Go grab your blankie and I'll get you some milk and cookies.

And while I'm doing that, consider this:

- NOTHING would have followed the 50th successfully
    - Disneyland has lost great leaders before and didn't die
    - Ed Grier isn't Joe Schmoe from Podunk -- Google is your friend
    - DCA will soon get the loving attention and $$$ it so desperately needs
    - Ditto for DL
    - Lasseter is still decorating his Glendale office -- wait until the new fiscal

Feel better?

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I know we're living in a Brave New World, but there is no need to rewrite history. Both these attractions were approved pre-Rasulo. Rasulo has never green-lit an E-ticket for the domestic parks.
    You beat me to the punch, Pete.

As a matter of fact, if you talk to folks at WDI they'll tell you how Joe Rohde basically took advantage of a power void and helped 'sneak' Everest through.

Anyone who has visited DSP knows what kind of parks/attractions a used-car salesman like JR is behind.

He MUST go!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Go grab your blankie and I'll get you some milk and cookies.

And while I'm doing that, consider this:

- NOTHING would have followed the 50th successfully
    - Disneyland has lost great leaders before and didn't die
    - Ed Grier isn't Joe Schmoe from Podunk -- Google is your friend
    - DCA will soon get the loving attention and $$$ it so desperately needs
    - Ditto for DL
    - Lasseter is still decorating his Glendale office -- wait until the new fiscal

Feel better?

I do ... but I'd feel better if you held me and sang Disney songs to me as I gently nodded off to dreamland .

• Banned User

They need to remove Jay Rasulo. The man seems like he is waaaaaay out of touch with what should be going on with Disney parks. Instead of investments in E-ticket developments at outdated parks like the Magic Kingdom, he is focusing on how to brand all Disney theme parks worldwide with some stupid marketing campaign that will fade quickly and end of up as some tag-line at the bottom of Disney resort advertisements.

• Now 40% less bitter!

I am also not a fan of the McDisneyland concept. I wish the emphasis on global expansion of theme parks would peter out. It always gives me a tight feeling in my chest when I read the higher-ups talking about that. I just think it would dilute the brand. Oh well, not Mr. Grier's problem (yet).
    Oo-de-lally!

• Who's your DaddyB?

I think we'll find that Bob Iger is very much interested in not "diluting the brand"... and is conversely extremely proactive in bringing the "Disney" name back to the american psyche as a top notch entertainment company.

I think we're seeing the end of the days for movies like "Piglet's Big Movie" and "Cinderella II"... and this will follow right into the theme parks. If anything, I think Rasulo had better get his game face on or start looking for a job at The Gap.

I think Matt Ouimet leaving has nothing to do what's happening (above the Jay Rasulo level) at the Disney company, and much more to do with where in this country he (and more importantly to him, his family) is living, and what opportunities he has for advancement in the future.

Whether Ed Grier proves to be more Jay Rasulo's man or Bob Iger's man remains to be seen... and how long he lasts will be a marker for that.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I think we'll find that Bob Iger is very much interested in not "diluting the brand"... and is conversely extremely proactive in bringing the "Disney" name back to the american psyche as a top notch entertainment company.

I think we're seeing the end of the days for movies like "Piglet's Big Movie" and "Cinderella II"... and this will follow right into the theme parks. If anything, I think Rasulo had better get his game face on or start looking for a job at The Gap.

I think Matt Ouimet leaving has nothing to do what's happening (above the Jay Rasulo level) at the Disney company, and much more to do with where in this country he (and more importantly to him, his family) is living, and what opportunities he has for advancement in the future.

Whether Ed Grier proves to be more Jay Rasulo's man or Bob Iger's man remains to be seen... and how long he lasts will be a marker for that.
    I really hope you're right and that he turns out to continue with what Ouimet has done and that he doesn't bring Disneyland back into the "neglect" days. I'm ready to see the Rocket Jets/Astro Orbiter back on top where they belong and a new TTA back on the peoplemover track! When that's done then I'll be flying out from Austin, TX to John Wayne and staying at the Grand Californian for about 5 days!!!!

• Banned User

Jay Raysolu looks like a bulldog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim

Thank you! a voice of reason...

Let's not be doomsdayers here!
    If the press releases are true at all, the company has said it is making a shift in the type of entertainment that Walt Disney Pictures produces.
    There is still future plans in the works for the parks, and I can't see the company spending the millions that they have on Disneyland to repair the damage, and then just let it decay again. I hope they have learned that valuable lesson.

Let's just wait and see anyway...
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast