Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2006--Ed Grier, a 25-year Disney (NYSEIS) veteran who most recently oversaw the company's operations of Tokyo Disney Resort, has been named President of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., it was announced today by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo.

"Ed Grier brings an incredible depth and breadth of operations, Guest service and management experience that he has garnered over his 25 years with Disney parks around the world," said Rasulo. "Ed has the precise talent necessary to lead the Disneyland Resort into its second 50 years following the Happiest Celebration on Earth. We are pleased to welcome him back to the states - and look forward to the leadership he will provide to the park that truly started it all."

Grier, 51, will report to Al Weiss, President of Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He replaces Matt Ouimet, who is leaving Disney to join Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Grier's replacement at Tokyo Disney Resort will be named at a later date.

"Disneyland is beloved by millions around the world - and I am honored to have the opportunity to lead such a special place," said Grier. "I look forward to working with the Disneyland management team and partnering with the Orange County community to ensure that our future is just as strong and bright as our past - and that Disneyland continues to make dreams come true for the millions of people who visit us each year."
    "I want to thank Matt Ouimet for his years of service to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts," Rasulo said. "On behalf of my management team, we wish him the very best in his new endeavors."

Most recently, Grier served as Executive Managing Director of Walt Disney Attractions Japan, where he oversaw the Disney operations for the two-park Tokyo Disney Resort and managed the day-to-day relationship with the Oriental Land Company, which operates the resort as a licensee. During his tenure in Japan, Grier was instrumental in the overall master planning of the Resort, leading the Disney team that was responsible for the addition of new attractions and entertainment spectaculars, as well as a new Cirque theatre and new Disney-branded hotel, both of which are expected to open in 2008. In addition, Grier implemented best practices from Disney destinations around the world for Guest service standards, and resort and financial operations.

Prior to his experience in Japan, Grier held executive positions at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort Paris in France. Grier served as general manager of Walt Disney World's Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios. In these positions, Grier oversaw park operations, led thousands of Cast Members and was responsible for the financial and operational performance of the parks.

In addition to his operations and management experience, Grier has held positions at Walt Disney World Resort related to finance and marketing. In the early 1990s, Grier served as a member of an expatriate team that was assigned to Paris for one year to increase awareness of the resort in European markets. While there, Grier was responsible for establishing the resort's marketing division and developing Pan-European marketing strategies.

Grier is a CPA and prior to joining The Walt Disney Company in 1981, he worked for Ernst and Young. He has a bachelor's degree in accounting from Duquesne University in Pennsylvania.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is where dreams come true and magic comes to life. This segment of The Walt Disney Company encompasses 11 theme parks at five of the world's leading family vacation destinations - Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland. It also includes the Disney Cruise Line; Disney Vacation Club, Adventures by Disney; Disney Regional Entertainment; World of Disney stores in New York, Orlando and Anaheim; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs Disney parks, resorts and attractions. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts had more than $9 billion in revenues in fiscal 2005.

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

Great they put an Accountant in charge of Disneyland! Looks like Disneyland is making a U-Turn back to the Pressler days.

• Suspended

Re: Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort - Press Release

To be fair, it doesn't seem as if he's been a practicing accountant for at least 20 years. Maybe he does friends' taxes on the side, but his résumé looks CPA-free since he started at WDW.

Hopefully, he can have the balls to cut out the big revenue-stealing program. I'm guessing that was former-CM Matt's trouble-spot that was Presslers gift and curse to DL.

• Banned User

Welcome to the DLR!
    Last edited by A Disney Dreamer; 07-25-2006 at 10:05 AM.

• Banned User

Reading his statement, he's seems pretty trustworthy

I agree.

• Suspended

I think now is the time for our Merlin Jones to pull out his open letter. No honeymoon period.
    And anyone else with a wish list can chime in as well. Ideas published on an internet forum board no longer are the property of the owner.

• Suspended

FYI, from the Starwood press release:

Ouimet joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and began his career there in a variety of finance and business development roles. Rising quickly in the ranks, Ouimet ultimately led four separate business endeavors for Disney. During his tenure with Disney, Ouimet served as Executive General Manager of Disney's Vacation Club; President of Disney's Cruise Line and, of course, most recently President of the Disneyland Resort, where he oversaw two theme parks and three hotels with 20,000 employees. Ouimet earned a Bachelor of Science majoring in accounting from State University of New York at Binghamton.
    Hunh, whoda thunk?

• Banned User

If Disney had hired an outside CPA team to run Disneyland, then I would be worried. But have you ever heard anyone say Oriental Land Company was cheap or their park was in bad shape? I am glad Disney brought this guy over from Japan, rather than make the mistake of brining in outside CPA people or brining in someone from Burbank to run the park. Remember, John Lassetter does visit the park at least several times per month. Two weeks ago I saw John Lassetter in the sub lagoon with a hardhat on, pointing at the new building and talking to the construction crew. If Disneyland goes to pot again, John Lassetter would not stand for it, and would use his money and stock to do something to fix it. So I highly doubt Disneyland would go to pot again with John Lassetter around.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    Great they put an Accountant in charge of Disneyland! Looks like Disneyland is making a U-Turn back to the Pressler days.
    Hey, Matt Ouimet has an accounting background too. (Accounting B.S. from SUNY Binghamton)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    Hey, Matt Ouimet has an accounting background too. (Accounting B.S. from SUNY Binghamton)
    See, CPA's are good people too!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Good Point. Thank you for pointing that out.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Suspended

Beat ya!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Well, I am very sad to see Matt go. I especially liked his approchability and was actually able to talk to him on a few occasions and he seemed to really care and listen and pay attention to what people said - unlike some other people who have been in his position.

All I can say is, I hope that Ed has the same type of vision and the same approach to taking care of Disneyland that Matt had. If he does, Disneyland will only get better.

If he doesn't....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    It's OK... I noticed you changed it... I am sorry it was too late for me to say something other than I did to you about it...
    I'm taking care of it

Anyways, going back to topic, I hope Grier tries to fix up Tomorrowland while the Subs open.

I hope the PM (People Mover) also comes to the resort because Matt has promised he wanted something up there on the tracks by 2010.

Well, he's not in charge anymore, so maybe those plans have been scraped - I hope not
    Last edited by A Disney Dreamer; 07-25-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast